Projects Learning & Experienced

rated by 0 users
This post has 36 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 959
Points 19,496
Snowbird Quilter Posted: Tue, Jan 8 2013 2:36 PM

Yesterday I took my embroidery machine to our local Monday quilters group.   LOL  I almost have forgotten everything I thought I'd learned. 

Didn't do an acceptable job, and it took all day to embroidery three words.  However, determined I am, so today at home I'm trying again.  Manual reading etc etc. 

I know I'm going to become an avid embroiderer.  I just know it.

Patty Mc

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 959
Points 19,496

Late yesterday I tried using a design I've downloaded to my computer then to a USB stick.  I have three designs on the stick only one would load unto my machine.  So back to the manual I go and I'll try again.  I was just too tired to think it through I guess.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Hi Snowbird, what kind of lettering are you using? stabilizers and threads, needles??  what machine do you have? what is the size of the USB stick? I am a Janome user however if I can bring a bit of light to your problem I'd be pleased to help. If you care to become my friend by clicking onto my name and start a conversation, I'll send you my information. We can chat.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 959
Points 19,496

Hi Caryl Anne  :  I have an BabyLock Ellure Plus.  There are several choices on the machine for the lettering.  I am working on a run of the mill pre made apron.  I used a tear away stabilizer and embroidery thread and 75/11 embroidery needle.  My USB stick is a Lazer 8MB.

I downloaded 4 free designs from Machine Embroidery Designs.  Yesterday I could only open one of the designs.  Today I could open two other designs.  I stitched both out on a practice piece and then could only open one (the most important one) to stitch on the Apron.  My machine uses both DST or PES.  When I did the download to my computer I just saved the design.  I think I should have clicked "run"  instead.  I'll try again tomorrow.  I've tried both DST & PES.

I'll figure it out I think, or I'll call my dealer.  My dealer told me that Lazer is a good USB stick for the BabyLock.

Thanks for your offer of help.

Patty Mc

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 10:44 AM

When you download your designs do you download directly to the stick, or are you going to a folder on the computer then to the stick. You do not have to use run because there is no program on the web to run it from.
I have my customizer you have a Babylock software that allows you to edit and send to the machine or the stick.
Here is something you might try .First making sure that you are choosing the correct size design for the hoop, if you need to resize that design try using   Wilcom TrueSizer, a  free software that many use to change our designs from one format to another , and it also does resizing AND at that time recalculates the stitches needed to stitch out properly, this is good to have in any case.
You say: '
My USB stick is a Lazer 8MB.' is this correct or should that be 8GB. My Janome will not read anything over a 2 MG, it is too big a storage so check your stick.

I am glad you have a dealer to help, I do as well, and I can tell you Mark was a savior when I first started ME in 2005.
there are several in this group who have babylock machines, so you can be sure that if  help is needed you will get some answers. 
I hope all turns out well real soon, It isn't fun if we have to work at it too long. Happy Stitching

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 959
Points 19,496

Caryl Anne:
My USB stick is a Lazer 8MB

I misspoke.  The USB stick is a Lexar 8G.  The smallest I could buy.

Windows 7 puts downloads in a download folder.  I right click on the design and move it to my USB.  I then check the USB and the designs are there and not inside a folder as my manual states.

I'll post a picture in media as soon as I can of the finished apron.

Thanks

Patty Mc

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Hey patty, you can choose not to use a download folder from windows.
here is what you do to save to your computer for later use.
on design page; use drop down menu to choose single format if available ( some sites have all formats included in a zip file)
click on the download button
at the bottom of your page or in a separate box there is a choice of save, save as , and open
choose save as the download folder will appear as default, but don't use it, instead go to the left navigation field and click on the documents folder, now click on new folder at the top. name that folder ( I do the designers name) click that folder open, now name the design next to the #'s or letters the designer gave it, or if you can remember what it is leave that and click save button on lower right. now your design is saved in the documents folder, and you can save many in the particular folder from a designer or site. Here is what a screen shot of one designer's folder looks like on my computer. the tiny flowers represent a single design and the folders are sub folders.

I hope this can help you out. You will definitely need to file your designs or you will get lost and frustrated looking for them later. Now, that said there are software programs to keep you organized, however they aren't free, and you must still place them into folders, so why not use what is there on your computer. To back up your designs use a big stick LOL or an external hard drive, that is what I have for mine, I back up automatically every two months.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Caryl Anne - what kind of a Janome machine do you have.  I have a 350E that I am struggling to learn how to use.  :o(  I can do the designs that are built in but having trouble trying to figure out how to put them onto a memory stick and open them in the machine. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 11:54 PM

Hey Marge, first off let me say your darling new avatar looks like he is having a blast.
I have a Janome MC10001 it uses the same hoops as the MC350 and of course all the same software. I used the customizer 10000PLUS, but now that I had the 11000SE here almost 3 months I have that downloaded as well. You will need to have a software to place designs on the stick & you can send them directly to the machine using the Janome customizer. This software should have come with the machine you should have the Customizer 11000 it has machines listed you just download what you are working with.
I actually taught two classes on both the 10000 PLUS and the 11000 software. There are three different parts to the customizer. easy edit, easy import and one on the giga hoop. i use easy edit for everything and I use a compact flash card and reader. I did know how to use easy import but it wasn't anything I cared to do, as I am not into doing any digitizing of bitmaps. I'm sending you a PM.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 959
Points 19,496

Finally ---- after many weeks of frustration and suggestions from Caryl Anne and others I was able to get my Puppy design.  I've posted a picture in Media.

The tale is this.  I deleted "everything" from my Lexar 8G USB stick.  I then copied the "run" file from my Lexar 1G USB stick.  Then I loaded three designs.  One free one and two from an Anita Goodesign CD called "Baby" (I think).  The free design and one of the Anita Goodesign's loaded.  So I have some very expensive CD's and I suspect many of the designs won't load. 

There is a lot more to this story, but I'm d____ tired of the story.  LOL  At least at this point I can get on with my projects.

Anyway, it was a learning experience.  I knew I was moving the files correctly, but the machine won't read all of them according to the info from Anita Goodesign.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 11:10 AM

Good Morning Patty, I am glad to see that you were able to make your project. The aprons turned out wonderful.
About design CDs; they contain all the formats in every size. This is where we need to be careful when downloading those designs because whatever transfer method you use the design will show up on the stick but if it is not the correct size the machine cannot read that design.  In addition, back to the GB size, our machines do best with memory card that is small 1 or 2 GB. I prefer the 32MB flash cards; quickly read. In other words, the machine is working hard to find all the information on one card, looking through so much space as it were. In a 32MB there is just a lot less space to run through. I can tell you in my manual nowhere are there reference to what size compact flash or USB stick we should purchase

I would like to say to anyone new to machine embroidery; take a starter class, should be free from your dealer. Start out by buying a few single designs, or try out the freebies to see if you like that particular designers form. Buy in a format for your machine, not a zipped collection that you will have to go through and extract your hoop sizes & format. . Write down the mm sizes of you hoop so when you are looking through the web you know immediately if your machine will be able to read and stitch that design. Leave that information on the wall by your computer, I still refer to it when choosing my designs, especially ITH applique designs.

One of the features I particularly like about EMB LIB site when you register you are asked what machine you have, your designs will only show in your format & in case you add a design to your shopping basket that is too big for your hoops it gives you a warning.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 959
Points 19,496

Caryl Anne:
especially ITH applique designs.

What is ITH applique designs?  ITH?

Caryl Anne:
32MB flash cards

Flash Cards?

I tried buying a 1 or 2 G USB stick.  Office Max doesn't sell em, neither did BEST BUY.

I could move all the files from my 1G Lexar to another USB.  I may do that.

My dealer is a two hour one way drive from here.  The Yuma dealer went out of business.  So an hour class isn't worth the gas to drive for four hours.  I'll ask questions and hope to get answers I can use.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Patty a flash card and adapter is what I use to put the designs in my machine; it fits into the slot on the side. When I write the designs I want to use they go into one of 16 folders on the 32MB card. Each folder will hold approximately 100K stitches. I use my software to bring up the designs from the computer and send them to the card using a SanDisk card reader. My new computer has a slot available to read and write flash cards and USB memory sticks, so readers are now not necessary to buy. You may know of the amazing box. Again, those are not needed now that the technologies are on the new computers.
The Lexar USB stick you use is recommended by BabyLock, perhaps you can order one online through a dealer or as I did on EBay.

ITH (In The Hoop) Applique projects, I absolutely love doing these, but so many require a 8x8 or 6x10 hoop that I do not have on my current machine. I have made many luggage tags, computer tags, key chains, coasters, zippered bags oh I could go on and on. Here is a link to one that I made for all my family two years ago, luggage tags.

Oh My I hate that you don’t have a dealer close, for some help have you gone to you tube? I look for videos on everything now. Love that visual learning experience.
your ports my ports, cards and adapter

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 10:59 PM

Snowbird Quilter:
My dealer is a two hour one way drive from here.  The Yuma dealer went out of business.  So an hour class isn't worth the gas to drive for four hours.  I'll ask questions and hope to get answers I can use.

Patty, in reading your discussion with Caryl Anne I just had a thought...

Did you know that there is a Yahoo Group specifically to help owners of the Babylock Ellure Plus?  (I belong to the Yahoo Group for my new Bernina 830 and have had found a lot of the discussions very helpful.) 

Go to:  http://groups.yahoo.com

In the center of the screen, you will see a search field, type in:  Baby Lock Ellure Plus  (press enter)

If you scroll down in the resulting list, you will see a group called:  babylocksewciety

Under this group name (on the left), you will see a prompt to "Join this Group"...click on that link and follow the prompts to register.  I have my Bernina Group access set up so all posts go to my email account.  Then I can through them every morning and delete those that I'm not interested in and any that are of interest I go on the Yahoo Group pages and look for additional info.  (I'm a novice on Yahoo Groups so can't help a lot there, but if it's like the Bernina Group, you will overhear a lot of good conversation and get a lot of good tips.  If you are willing to spend some time with it, you can ask your questions and others with more experience on your machine will respond to you!  That would really be a big help for you!!!

I checked on YouTube and could only find one video for the Ellure (4+min):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5HSF00QvmE&list=UUIAGFyYJfHSXYBanaJ4m9YQ

There may be more, but it looks like you will need to do some digging for it...

But do keep looking, there has got to be some resource out there for you.  You might try calling some dealers, tell them where you are and ask if they know of any on-line help sources.  

I hope some of this might be helpful for you.  I get so much enjoyment out of machine embroidery and I hope you will be able to too!

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 959
Points 19,496

Donna B and Caryl Anne:

Thanks for all of the info.  Donna B  -- only one of the cards you sent would work.  The fairy one.  I found that strange.  Both say BabyLock right on them.   I've searched YouTube and only found a few videos there on the Ellure Plus.  Neither were overly helpful.  I'll try Yahoo next.  But, for right now I've moved on the next promise which doesn't require embroidery.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 3 (37 items) 123Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use