Eat, Drink & Be Merry! Free Embroidery designs via Creative Machine Embroidery magazine

rated by 0 users
This post has 36 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson Posted: Fri, Nov 23 2012 10:31 AM

Good morning everyone!  I wanted to share with you, my blog post at www.KimHansonQuilts.com/blog.  In the November/December issue of Creative Machine Embroidery magazine, my table runner project was featured on the cover!  Not only do you still have time to make the table runner before Christmas, you can also still access 12 FREE and fabulous Christmas embroidery designs.  Check it out when you have time.

Thanks so much...

Kim

P.S.  When you're on my website, please sign up to receive my future blog posts via email.  Lots of quilting information will come your way.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,458
Points 361,907
Kris replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 7:34 PM

Cute runner Kim. Thanks for the info, and congrats on the cover.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 11:02 AM

Congratulations on the cover Kim!  Very nice table runner...I will give it a go after about 50 other projects on my list right now...lol!

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Thank you Donna!  You may want to download the free embroidery designs prior to the expiration of the "freeness"!!  I think that's December 31st.

Kim

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Thanks so very much, I have already sent a message through the blog last month, but here I can say it again. I adore the designs and I am thrilled to be one of your followers. Happy Holidays.. Merry Christmas.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Caryl Anne - thank you ever so much!  You've completely made my day. 

Kim

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

KIM:

I'm considering downloading your Christmas images. I've never downloaded an image and have only stitched out one that came with my machine. So I need some advice and help if you don't mind.

First - My machine is a Ellure Plus made by Baby Lock. The manual says that only .pes and .dst embroidery data files can be used. Which would be better? Designs are to be 7" H and 5" W unless it is rotated 90 degrees. Which I can do.

Second - I will download this on a thumb drive. Any advice?

Third - Hints for stitching on denim.

Fourth - Advice on thread?

I'm sure the answers will bring more questions. However, I need to just bite the bullit and try. Thanks in advance.

Patty Mc aka Snowbird Quilter

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Patty - It's a pleasure to answer your questions.  Hopefully, I will be able to answer them all informatively.

Question 1: I work with .pes embroidery designs only - due to the fact that my Brother embroidery sewing machines/embroidery machines both deal exclusively with that format.  I have NEVER had any issue with .pes designs.  I cannot comment on .dst designs - except to say that I understand that format is compatible with your machine and many other machines.  My 12 free Christmas embroidery designs that are located on the Oregon Patchworks website, have been loaded up in both a small format and larger format.  Your hoop size 5" x 7" is a standard mid-sized embroidery hoop.

Question 2: I would say that you download all the embroidery designs to your computer first, if possible.  What kind of embroidery software do you have Patty?  I use PE Design - again since it is compatible with my Brother machines.  Once the designs are downloaded to your computer, you can open them and have a look at them first.  That is very helpful to see the embroidery design on your computer monitor.  Then, if you can "transport" the designs from your computer to your embroidery machine via thumb drive, you're good to go.

Question 3: Denim is very thick and can be stiff.  I would recommend washing the denim fabric first, for sure - to remove some of the stiffness of the fabric.  It may be best to use an iron-on stabilizer - affix to the back of the denim.  Definitely use a denim-friendly embroidery needle that works with your Baby Lock.

Question 4:  I've tried other threads, but I ALWAYS use Brother embroidery thread.  It's quite expensive - when you compare it to other brands, but I love it and usually  buy it from ebay sellers.  The colours of the Brother threads are amazing - it really shows in my work.

Patty - please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.  Best of luck!

Kim Hanson

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Well Kim -- You got me.  I don't have an embroidery software.  I just assumed that I could download the designs to a folder on my computer and then to my machine via the thumb drive.  I can see where it would be wise to be able to see the design first.  Guess I better read the manual again.  It's been awhile.

The denim I use for quilting are bib overalls my ex has worn out.  The denim is very soft and and thin so I think you are right that a stabilizer should be used.  I have a sports theme in mind for my Grandson.  Just need to find the designs.

I'll have to check my needles for embroidery, I have a number of denim needles for quilting.  Would they be OK?

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Hey Patty.  You know, it may work okay to download your design directly to your thumb drive and then "plug" it in to your machine.  Why don't you try one and see it that works? 

I have specific needles for embroidering on denim - your denim needles for quilting may also work okay - it 's likely a trial and error experience I would think.

A sports theme for your grandson on denim would be so fabulous!   Best of luck with all your work.  I would love to see a photo when you're done!

Kim

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

OK KIM:  I'll reread the manual and then grit my teeth and try.  

My first experience with computers was way back in the late 70's.  I've had many crashes with lost data and became gun-shy when trying something new.  I've lost more files due to hard disk failures, software glitches or just not understanding the key strokes required  than I care to remember.  I just don't want to do this wrong.

Thanks for your encouragement.  I'll check out a few websites for needles for denim embroidery.

Patty Mc

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

You know what Patty?  I don't believe you can "do it wrong"!  You will be able to re-download any designs if they don't download the first time.  You can sew out your embroidery design on some scrap fabric first to see how it looks, etc. etc.  It's only a matter of your "time"....that is, you may have to do things more than once to get them the way you want them.

As I said, best of luck!

Kim

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Kim I hope you do not mind me answering Patty's question about threads and needles. I have a Janome but all EM work pretty much the same as far as sewing out the designs. First, I would NOT use a quilting needle as it has a very large eye for heavy thicknesses. ONLY use a #11 or 14 for embroidery, a #14 is the one I use for ultra-suede & those weights, Everything else gets the #11, your threads will be delivered smoothly and on the soften used denim that should be perfect. As far as threads go, I used many different Polyester threads and some rayon, on denim use the poly. Stay away from CHEAP threads they will just cost you time and time is money in embroidery.

as far as stabilizer for the denim a temporary spray, on cutaway is best as it will keep your cloth from moving around when hooping, denim has stretch.
Patty I want to send you the stabilizer list for your use. Just go here and print.
Now to the software, I cannot download to my computer without software to read the format, but there are alternatives, the amazing box does something like plays the part of the middleman ie a computer software. I'm not a user so I advise you to Google that and see if that would work, also you can use a free software called Wilcom. I do use this for formulating from one format to another, again I am advising you see the site and see if that can be used. I am not familiar with your Baby Lock machine so I’m sorry I can’t help, go to their web site and read whatever BL has on your machine or just call a local dealer to ask questions on software compatibility, that is what I would do make a call.. LOL Patty I just visited the Baby Lock Ellure Plus site, and I see software information. My software came with the machine & Janome recently upgraded it free so perhaps you can get what you need there. I cannot place another hyperlink here QCA allows only two per post.
I hope I have helped you Patty, I know you will love the idea of having so much support here in the forums. We are not just quilters. LOL

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Caryl Anne:  Thanks for your info. 

I did download Kim's table runner, but the download didn't give me the option of choosing the .dst or .pes nor the location where I wanted the download placed.   Nor would my computer open the files because I don't have a program with the extension .art.  So flustered again.

I went to the BabyLock Ellure Plus site, but the software information listed there didn't assure me that it would work with any designs other that the ones BabyLock has designed.   Most at a high expense.

My nearest dealer is 120 miles away.  I don't drive over there more than two or three times a year.  My dealer down south closed up shop this summer.  I doubt that I'll get answers I'll be able to implement by phone.  I haven't found the closest dealer to be very helpful.  And I bought the machine from them adding insult to injury.

I have used mostly RA thread for the lettering that I do.  It works well, it's more expensive than I'd like,  I'm just a tight wad.  I'll look and see if I have #14 embroidery needles.  Again thanks for your advice.

Patty Mc

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Some progress has been made.  I now can open the .art files I downloaded in Windows Photo viewer.  Now I find from the Baby Lock site that I must buy a USB from them for it to be compatible with my machine.  They do publish a list of USB's that work with their machines however out of the four I have none are on their list.

I'm sure learning a lot.  Just have to put it to use.  LOL

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Page 1 of 3 (37 items) 123Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use