Tangled threads

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson Posted: Sat, Mar 3 2012 7:55 PM

Hey everybody!  I was wondering if someone could help me.  My embroidery machine has been tangling threads on the underside of my project.  It's the top thread that is getting all tangled, not the bobbin thread.  Any ideas of why this is suddenly happening on my machine?

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

99% of the time it is the bobbin anyway. as it is spinning out of control and nesting the threads or twisting them around and making a skipped stitch. What to do, take out the bobbin shuttle & clean that area real good use air if you have it to get under the shuttle case. after you replace all that then replace the needle as well, an blow air into the area just above the last tension guide, making sure there is not any thread caught up in that tiny space. If you still have trouble then take a bobbin empty place it in the bobbin wind area and thread your thread through that hole to give you a longer area for the thread to go before hitting any tension. Hope that works. thread on the top is always the bobbin problem. Thread on the bottom is the uneven tension of the thread.

hope that helps. I never do one step without the whole thing because it is one of those deals, takes longer to NOT do it all at one time.

Carylanne in TX

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Carylanne - Thank you ever so much.  I pretty well did all what you suggested, and appreciate your response.  I did find a whole pile of thread wound up inside the thread uptake lever!  It seemed like it was almost an entire spool of thread!  I've taken that out, cleaned the bobbin case as you've suggested and right now, all is well.  Fingers crossed - and again, thanks so much.

Kim

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 40
MJMoss replied on Tue, May 1 2012 4:38 PM

I've done that.  One time I found my bobbing didn't get wound properly and was all loosy goosy, so I now use prewound bobbins; another time I found it was the needle needed replacing make sure the needle matches the fabric and is an embroidery needle; and a third time it seemed the tension got messed up, so I called my local shop that services the machine and they talked me thru a few things and I ended up getting a new shuttle, because the original shuttle wasn't keeping tension properly.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

MJ - nothing more frustrating than dealing with a bobbin problem - that's for sure!

Kim in Calgary

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 25
Lana replied on Wed, May 2 2012 11:14 AM

My machine also does this when I forget to raise the lever before I thead the machine.  It messes up the tension. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

hello Lanagt, welcome to Machine Embroidery Group.

Hi MJ, just wanted to say that the needle is very important ( I primarily use  a size 11 for embroidery) as well as a clean bobbin case and shuttle. I do not go by the theory that each project needs a new needle, holy smoke I would need to own the needle manufactures to absorb that cost, however, when I have stitched several projects I decide to change according to the stitch count in the designs, or if I have made a few designs with French knots ( candlewicking) I change to a new needle, as there is alot of friction in doing that work. So I think we should gage the needle change according to what project we are doing, and not with what the needle companies would want for us.

Happy Sewing, Quilting and Embellishing with Embroidery!!
Carylanne

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use