Quilt in the Hoop

rated by 0 users
This post has 50 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 4:11 PM

Hi Mary,  I have an older Bernina 200E...with a maximum hoop width of 6 inches, so I am limited to a 5 inch square block for the Hoop Sisters quilts.  (They have formatted both for 5 in blocks and 8 in blocks.)  In addition, they have alternate blocks available so that you can make a king size quilt using only the 5 inch blocks... just more of them.  It ends up something like having 4 quarters: a lap quilt size in each quarter.  For the one I am currently working on, it will be a wall-hanging with a border...about 45 inches square. 

Each block is digitized so that you do most of the design stitching with only the front fabric and batting in the hoop.  Then you add the backing fabric under your hoop and complete the stitch-out...including a basting stitch around the outside, and the decorative stitching between fabrics on the front...this gives the back a nice clean look that flows from block to block but without the detail of the front of the quilt.  After all the blocks are completed, you sew them together in rows and then sew the rows together.  The Hoop Sisters have developed an interesting (no-stitches showing) process using a binding to cover the seams on the back.  Haven't gotten that far yet, but have looked at the video.  I am looking forward to getting more done on this, but with Christmas gifts to make, this has taken a back-seat to the other projects waiting for me!

Donna B

Winthrop, WA

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Good Morning Donna, I just received my newsletter from a LQS  for the New Year of classes, they are offering goosetracks kick-off in January 2012 and the classes to follow .. I am going to think real hard on this project as I do love how your blocks have turned out. I thank you again for showing us your progress. Have you had time this sewing season to complete anymore blocks? If so I'd sure like to view them.

Merry Christmas!
Happy Quilting in the New Year!
Carylanne

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Dec 22 2011 10:59 PM

Unfortunately not, I have been swamped with Christmas gifts!   I have gone to the classes and have all the downloads for the last two months, so next week the embroidery module will be working overtime trying to catch up.  I will post more pics as I complete more blocks.  Thanks for your kind words and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

i hear ya on the Christmas gifts, I have a home based business and I hardly get anything done for myself during the last 4 months of the year, but I will have January and February as I do not offer any Valentine specific gifts in my shop. Easter banners and Mother's Day are my next huge gift projects
Well, I will see you when you get something to show, and perhaps I can share with you my process in February 2012.

Looking forward to a new prosperous year
the year of the dragon

Happy Quilting in the New Year!
Carylanne

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 981
Points 24,590

Okay...got my machine. Pieced and batted and backed the quilt. Now I find I cannot fit the three layers in the hoop due to the thickness. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a special hoop for quilting with?

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Dec 27 2011 10:57 PM

Mary:

Okay...got my machine. Pieced and batted and backed the quilt. Now I find I cannot fit the three layers in the hoop due to the thickness. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a special hoop for quilting with?

You haven't done anything "wrong".  It is next to impossible to get the 3 layers into the embroidery hoop without distorting the fabric and making a mess of it.  At least that has been my experience.

Do you have any sticky wash-away stabilizer?  I have used that in the hoop and stuck the qult back to it.  It's not perfect, but if you are careful it will hold the block in place while you are doing the quilting in the hoop.  I also have used pins in each corner (being sure to be outside of the design stitching area)...to help hold the quilt fabric to the stabilizer.  After you are finished with all the quilting, wash away the excess stabilizer from the back layer.

Hope this helps...

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Tue, Dec 27 2011 11:03 PM

Oh Dear Mary, It will be quite hard to do embroidery in the hoop if you have the completed quilt. The in the hoop embroidery quilting is done before the back and batting are added unless it is a project that is digitized for int he hoop quilting as an embroidery design. The project quilt that Donna is doing is from Hoop sister's and it is goose tracks it is a digitized quilt done on an embroidery machine, layering all the pieces together.
What I suggest is that you do a bit of stippling or in the ditch quilting an then start a fresh quilt using a digitized design just for embroidery machines. There are several out there on the market and many embroidery supply company designs are done for easy quilting. I have purchased a few from embroidery library and a full CD full from a woman on Ebay. These are done in the embroidery hoop before the squares are done, as a matter of fact they are they squares.
Now that said you could use a spray temp adhesive and some pins to work a design on this quilt, however you will be marking a lot of target spots to align the embroidery.

you did a wonderful quilt here, personally I would stitch in the ditch.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Thu, Jan 5 2012 1:03 PM

Mary:

Granted...I am new to an embroidery machine as I am getting one for Christmas. Do you piece the block then quilt the block then sew the blocks together after quilting? Can this work with smaller embroidery machines?

Okay, enough time has gone by that you should be able to tell us how you like your Christmas present!! We're waiting to hear!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Thu, Jan 5 2012 1:08 PM

Caryl Anne:

Oh Dear Mary, It will be quite hard to do embroidery in the hoop if you have the completed quilt. The in the hoop embroidery quilting is done before the back and batting are added unless it is a project that is digitized for int he hoop quilting as an embroidery design. The project quilt that Donna is doing is from Hoop sister's and it is goose tracks it is a digitized quilt done on an embroidery machine, layering all the pieces together.
What I suggest is that you do a bit of stippling or in the ditch quilting an then start a fresh quilt using a digitized design just for embroidery machines. There are several out there on the market and many embroidery supply company designs are done for easy quilting. I have purchased a few from embroidery library and a full CD full from a woman on Ebay. These are done in the embroidery hoop before the squares are done, as a matter of fact they are they squares.
Now that said you could use a spray temp adhesive and some pins to work a design on this quilt, however you will be marking a lot of target spots to align the embroidery.

you did a wonderful quilt here, personally I would stitch in the ditch.

Caryl Anne - I did a small lap quilt for my MIL for Christmas and used a "quilt" design in some of the blocks after it was quilted. As you say, it's a bit tedious and I couldn't always get it exactly centered in the blocks but, it turned out quite well for my first attempt. Some lessons learned from it, though. I think the most important one was that I finally figured out what all the marks on the hoop were for! ROFL! OMG - if I'd figured that out first, how much easier it would have been.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

ROFL along with ya here Sheila.  LOL! I know it is an assumption that we start out knowing all there is. The machine manufactures just give us a bit on knowledge and then leave us in the lurch trying new things out. It is so funny that we can laugh out loud at our mistakes and find our way through them. Now that the hoop markings make since I am positive that you will find the target for your designs easier..

just a tip, I use those small dots you can purchase draw across them in the middle horizontally and vertically pages at a time when u mark the fabric center of the design place on the fabric in the center and put a ^ at the spot where you want the design to be in that direction, even when you do a side way design you will be reminded to place your fabric in the hoop in the correct alignment. I have a picture for you of what I mean. It might be easier to show you then to describe it.

quick and always the design is where you want it. those tiny circles come in about 500 per package and they are cheap, The long ones are folder labels and I buy the 3/4" size I use them for word (s) placement.

Carylanne

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Fri, Jan 6 2012 11:00 AM

Caryl Anne - What a great idea! I have a bunch of the dots left over from a garage sale. I'll give them a try! Thanks for the tip and the photo!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Fri, Jan 6 2012 2:02 PM

Mary:

Looks pretty but, as the others said, getting those layers hooped is a toughie. I did a table topper not long ago that I embroidered through all the layers but I pinned the quilt to the hoop through a layer of tear-away stabilizer. In other words, hoop the stabilizer and then lay the quilt over the hooped stabilizer where you want the design and then put a couple of pins (I used 4) outside of the area where you want your design. If your machine does it, you can baste a box around where you want the design right through the quilt & stabilizer and that will help to keep the fabric from distorting or moving. Hope that helps!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 995

This is really beautiful!  I just bought a Bernina 830 and will pick it up Saturday.  I can't wait to start this type of thing.  Thanks for the link where you buy your thread too. 

Susan Larson

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 6:49 PM

Susan Larson:

This is really beautiful!  I just bought a Bernina 830 and will pick it up Saturday.  I can't wait to start this type of thing.  Thanks for the link where you buy your thread too. 

You lucky girl!  Enjoy it and have a great time.  We look forward to pictures of your projects!

Winthrop, WA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 1,260
Marsha replied on Fri, Feb 10 2012 8:31 PM

Just finished a simple baby quilt for one of my co-workers.  The pattern is called "hugs and kisses" because the blocks are x's and o's.  It was a free pattern :)  I embroidered buttons in the o blocks.  Now I just need to put the binding on.

• Post Points: 50
Page 2 of 4 (51 items) Prev1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use