Quilt in the Hoop

rated by 0 users
This post has 50 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B Posted: Tue, Oct 25 2011 4:10 PM

Hi all,  wanted to share with you the recently completed  front and back of a border block for my Goose Tracks Quilt (by HoopSisters.com).  As there was recent discussion of what the back of an embr. quilt block would look like, I have attached a pic of both the front and the back.  As this quilt comes along, I will post more pictures.

Front View: 

Back View:

I love the detail on these blocks...

Donna B

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 11:16 PM

Donna,

thanks for the photos. Your block is amazing.Great job so far. Can't wait to see more.

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 3:19 PM

Kris:

Donna,

thanks for the photos. Your block is amazing.Great job so far. Can't wait to see more.

Thanks Kris,  more to come...

Donna B

Winthrop, WA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 964
Points 19,596

Donna B:  Do you find the Goosetracks pattern and lessons expensive?

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 4,940
Sue replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 6:25 PM

Your quilt block is very nice it makes me want to try one . Great job!

Sue D. Ohio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 10:32 PM

Hi Patty Mc,

Yes, for me, I think it is/was expensive.  That's one of the reasons I am keeping this one for ME.  (But, I tend to be pretty thrifty, ie: cheap!)

But, all in all, it probably isn't much more than any other quilt with the exception of the embroidery thread...which I have found a source for at what I feel is a reasonable price.  It was a lot to buy all the thread at one time (to match each fabric I planned for the quilt), but not all the thread will be used in this quilt and thus I will have it for future embroidery projects.   I already had some threads that matched my fabric choices very well.  If I didn't have what I thought would be a sufficient amount, I ordered another spool.  ( I buy my Isacord 40w Embroidery Thread at http://sewingsupplywarehouse.com.  BTW, their 1000m mini-cones are currently on sale for $3.99 per spool.)

The LQS where I am taking the class only charges $10 per session for the Goose Tracks Quilt (including the design files for each month's BOM). So, 8 months = $80 for all the design files.  But, I will re-use the designs for other things...so not a bad investment for me.

The special batting/stabilizer is not any more expensive than the cotton battings that most quilters use.  I was planning to buy the recommended bent-handled hoop scissors anyway.

I know, I really thought long and hard about it before I decided to jump in...but I absolutely LOVED the quilts I saw on display and I really wanted to do one.

Hope this helps,  Donna B :)

Winthrop, WA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 964
Points 19,596

Thanks Donna B:

The local quilt shop in Yuma  ---- Three blocks from my house  -- are offering classes this winter.  I'll check it out when I get down there. 

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 9:31 PM

Here are some more pictures of my Goose Tracks blocks:

This pictures is actually of 3 blocks from Row A...pinned together.

This medallion actually took me three tries to get the right combination of fabric and thread before I was happy with it.

Not a great loss, as I will use the other two blocks in pillows for Christmas presents.

I now have September's blocks done and ready to start on October's.  (Oops, October is almost gone...only 2 more days...but believe me I am catching up on this quilt!  I started out 2 months behind, now I am only 1 month behind and I have several of the border blocks done, too.)

Donna B

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 964
Points 19,596

Beautiful Donna B.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 1,260
Marsha replied on Sun, Oct 30 2011 2:55 PM

Beautiful block.  I just recently completed a quilt using my embroidery machine.  I love how it turned out.  I am definately going to do more of my quilts like this!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Mon, Oct 31 2011 1:38 AM

Beautiful blocks Donna. I love the blues. Thanks again for sharing.

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

This is great, I never heard of this quilt in the hoop pattern, I am going to check it out, perhaps after the holidays sewing is done I can once again start something for me. I have a sewing room full of supplies and fabrics and of course I am now a thread-addict, and a computer bulging with designs that I may never use in a million years, but what the heck this looks like fun. Sort of like the crazy quilt scissors cases ( love of quilting show #1802, I think)  I am making for gifts for my sisters friends this year; scrap happy uses 4 sure.

Carylanne

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 986
Points 24,705

Granted...I am new to an embroidery machine as I am getting one for Christmas. Do you piece the block then quilt the block then sew the blocks together after quilting? Can this work with smaller embroidery machines?

• Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 1,260
Marsha replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 1:47 PM

I have done it both ways.  If I need it perfectly centered and don't want the embroidery stitches to show, I embroider first.   Otherwise I do it after all the blocks are together.   What a fun Christmas gift!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Mary:

Granted...I am new to an embroidery machine as I am getting one for Christmas. Do you piece the block then quilt the block then sew the blocks together after quilting? Can this work with smaller embroidery machines?

Congratulations Mary You are going to have a wonderful NEW YEAR of learning your machine. you will need to piece the blocks before doing any embroidery unless the embroidery design is the bloc. I which case you need to do the embroidery on whatever size for the design and the hoop, then cut the square down to the desired size of blocks. After your top is complete then do your quilting with your stipple or what ever other design you will do to finish the piece. Have fun and don't sweat the little stuff.

PS use good threads; see other discussions here at QCA about what everyone says about thread type and bobbin threads for embroidery, quilting and piecing.
don't buy cheap embroidery thread too many machines don't sew well with them, and I sill tell you by experience that they are just not worth messing with. Also, use a new needle in the machine when starting a project, and if you do a lot of embroidery the thread breaks, or splitting will occur, when a needle needs to be replaced.

Carylanne

Page 1 of 4 (51 items) 1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use