Machine embroidery and quilting patterns

rated by 0 users
This post has 45 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson Posted: Wed, Mar 23 2011 1:41 PM

Hi all machine embroiderers!  I love to combine quilting and machine embroidery - likely as do most of you involved in the machine embroidery group.

I was wondering - where do you find quilting and embroidery patterns?  I've been making up my own patterns for a long time, but I'm wondering where quilters turn to find patterns for machine embroidery and quilting?  There are so, so many quilting patterns out there - in books, online, on blogs, etc. - but no so many patterns combining quilting and embroidery.

Love to hear from all of you when you ahve a minute.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 3:12 PM

Hi Kim,  the only embroidery I have done on a quilt was to add Looney Tune characters to the top border on one of my quilts before I added it to the top.  I have seen embroidery patterns to do stippling but thought it would be too hard and the back would look wierd to do it after it had been sandwiched.  Can you post any pics of patterns that you have done.  Here is one of the places I get my embroidery patterns from and they have quilting patterns and a package that is for making your own patterns as well.

http://www.embroiderydesigns.com/

here is my looney tunes

Paris, Ontario

• Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 806
Points 12,419
Joan L. replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 6:57 PM

Hi Kim, I ordered an embroidery card thu my dealer with quilt patterns on it. Sense then I have seen them on line for a lot less. Live and learn when you are a newbie. LOL

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Thu, Mar 24 2011 10:17 AM

Hi Marilyn.  Really nice colors on your quilt and very cute embroidery!  I think I was inarticulate when I posed the question re: patterns.  I didn't mean embroidery designs - but instead, quilting patterns that call for embroidery.  Does that make sense?

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Thu, Mar 24 2011 10:23 AM

Here are a few of my quilts.  They are original patterns that incorporate machine embroidery into the quilting pattern.  The first one was called Life is a Picnic and it was featured in Quilting & Embroidery magazine.

This one I call Baby Boy Bliss

My Flower Garden

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Thu, Mar 24 2011 10:24 AM

Hi Joan.  nice to hear from you.

Kim

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

I haven't worked that much with my embroidery machine as yet so I haven't included designs into any of my quilts.  I did see some nice quilts displayed at A Scarlet Thread today when I was theree that have embroidered blocks worked into the quilt.  I really need to get over my "fear of flying" and work with my machine.  Pretty soon it will be a year old and I have only used it 4 times.  :o{

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Sat, Mar 26 2011 12:23 PM

Hey Marge!  Once you get used to your embroidery machine you won't be able to stop embroidering stuff.  i'm going to check out A Scarlet Thread today....What kind of sewing/embroidery machine do you own?

Kim

Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 1,595

Hi Marilyn,

Like you I have replaced pieced blocks with embroidered ones and the back of the block is hidden by the batting and backing fabric.

I have recently completed a quilt where all the blocks were embroidered / quilted in the hoop (Lilies Quilt). The blocks that were an all-over quilting design or a cental line embroidery with a stipple, I embroidered all three layers in the hoop at one time. Depending on your selection of bobbin colour and backing fabric, the embroidery can either stand out or blend in.

For the blocks with a mulit colour centre design and a stipple, I embroidered the centre design through the top fabric and the batting before adding the backing fabric. This way, the stoping and starting of the multiple colur changes are hidden and only the stipple design shows on the back.

The stipple stitches blend into the fabric.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Thu, Mar 31 2011 3:30 AM

Beautiful blocks Skunkworks.  How big are your hoops?  Did you do the stippling with the embroidery machine and if so how did you get the circle into the pattern?  My largest hoop is only 6x9 so unless it is a small block I don't have a lot of room for design  if I don't want to readjust the fabric. 

Kim now I understand.  I did not think it mattered what quilt pattern you use, any block with a larger center area would work I thought.

Paris, Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,268
Points 35,185
Granny M replied on Thu, Mar 31 2011 6:08 AM

skunk works,  beautiful blocks.  Do you have the quilt finished, did you post it.  Can't wait to see the overall effect.

Granny M

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 1,595

Hi again,

My hoop is the Pfaff Quilters Hoop and is 8 by 8".  The stipple designs come from a disk my local store owner got for me (Sister Sally - she teaches Hoop Sisters) - she knows how bad my free motion stippling is and took pity on me. It is by an Australian designer called Lizzy Allen and this is her web site.

http://embroiderydownunder.com.au/shop/product_info.php?products_id=873

She does have a number of dealers in the US so if you are interested look on this page.

http://www.embroiderydownunder.com.au/dealers.php

The disk was $99 and has 101 designs on it as well as projects, thread charts etc. The designs come in 7.5 by 7.5" and 5.3 by 5.3"

I used a number of the 9 stipple blocks with holes in the middle for my quilt which I called "Lilies Quilt" after my mother. I combined the stipple blocks which come in various designs with 4 by 4" designs in software.

The quilt, and its back view, is posted in my gallery.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 806
Points 12,419
Joan L. replied on Fri, Apr 1 2011 6:57 AM

Very nice scrappy. How big were your squares?

Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 1,595

The squares were cut 2 1/2 " square giving a 6" finished 9 patch

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 4,560
Loretta replied on Fri, Apr 8 2011 1:11 PM

Like Kim, most of my patterns using my embroidery machine are patterns that I have created using EQ5.  I do know that Thimbleberries had some Embroidery Machine patterns at one time.  I have also taken regular patterns and modified them, like the Over the River and Through the Woods which is below as Mary's Flower Garden.  Which was made for my SIL for Christmas two years ago.

This pattern had long hand embroidered pieces where the machine embroidered blocks are placed. 

Below is a quilt that I made for my DS's girlfriend the same year for Christmas.  "Snowflake vs. Snowball".  I embroidered all different snowflakes in the snowball squares. The picture is of my DS Josh and his girlfriend Alicia and my DD Sam's arm.

I am currently working on a baby quilt entitled "Words to Live By" for a Grandniece.  Again this is a pattern I designed on EQ5.  I usually get my inspiration from the embroidery designs first and then build the quilts around them.  I will post a picture of the new quilt as soon as I'm done with it.  I have all the embroidery done, am working on the very small pieces of the 6" Modified Lucky Clover Blocks. 

Also the majority of my embroidery designs are from Embroidery Library or emblibrary.com.  I really like their website, it's very easy to search and I can usually find exactly what I'm looking for.  I'm hoping someday (when I win the lottery) that I can get a better embroidery machine, currently I am using a White W3300 Embroidery Machine, it is basically the same thing as a Brother.  It has a 4 x 4 hoop, which is very limiting at times. I keep dreaming...... :)

One quilting project, like one cookie, is never enough.

Page 1 of 4 (46 items) 1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use