embroidery

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 24 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
15 Posts
Points 390
cheryl132 posted on Wed, Nov 24 2010 5:09 PM

I have been trying to do a potrait of my grandson and am haveing a very hard time. The thread just keeps breaking. It sews a little and breaks and sews a little and breaks . It's bad enough you have to keep changing thread but all I do is  thread the needle. Is this normal? I'm useing sulky thread. Should I be useing something else? I'm really not likeing  this embroidering . I just get so tired of threading the needle. Could it be the needle? I haven't really used it much. Please help!!!!! 

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,266 Posts
Points 35,160

Joan L.:
I like to use tearaway or iorn on when I can.

Well a bunch of people are going to go up in arms when they read this.

I don't use the expensive stablizer, I use freezer paper, except for the items that need the sticky back.  The freezer paper hoops like a dream, it is ironed on so it holds the fabic, and it peels and tears off as well as any stablizer I used before.   I hit on this one night when I ran out of stablizer (again) I did practice, like it and have used it ever since.

Granny M  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
806 Posts
Points 12,419
Joan L. replied on Fri, Dec 31 2010 10:37 AM

Your right Granny M. Don't tell anyone else what I do OK? I was embroidering a quilt pattern( open Pattern running stitch ) and needed wash away or something on top and ran out so I used the clear thin plastic bags, the kind you get at the gro store for produce. Worked great. What's a girl got to do when you need to embroidery you need to embroidery right. Got my quattro back home yesterday. Haven't tried it yet. But it's here and I can look at it. All is well in my llittle world now. LOL

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
198 Posts
Points 5,190
marilyn replied on Fri, Dec 31 2010 10:26 PM

That is a good suggestion on using freezer paper when hooping.  I'm going to try that.  I also have had trouble with tread breaking,  A lot depends on the needle you use and how often you change it.  I have had a lot of trouble with metallic thread on a queen size quilt I did.  I hate that thread.  When someone suggested putting the spool of thread in the freezer and left it overnight, sometimes that did help. Thanks for the suggestions.

Marilyn from Iowa

Top 100 Contributor
Female
823 Posts
Points 12,720

Cheryl 

I find Youtube has lot's of tips for using the embroidery machine. There are lot's of people who talk you through what they are doing while you watch it on video. Just go to Youtube and type in a heading like "using your embroidery machine for towels" and there will be maybe 3 to 6 people showing you what to do and even if the brand of machine is not the same it is usually done in the same way. Bernina USA has lessons on line too so maybe you could look there.

I hope this helps and it really is worth sticking to as you can do such beautiful things. I am new to machine embroidery too so we can all learn together.

Hampshire, England

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,266 Posts
Points 35,160

Joan L.:
Got my quattro back home yesterday. Haven't tried it yet. But it's here and I can look at it. All is well in my llittle world now. LOL

Glad your machine is back, better try it on something to make sure they really fixed it.  Or did they show you at the shop that it really was fixed.  I am leary of bringing a machine that has been fixed home without them showing me it is now working.  Friend of mine had the experience of bringing home, not working and repair guy telling her she must have a new problem as he had fixed the one she brought it in for, cost her another service call and several handsful of hair that she pulled out.  Loved your idea, will have to try on my next towels.  Don't you love it when you find more cost effective ways to do something.

Granny M

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,266 Posts
Points 35,160

marilyn:
I have had a lot of trouble with metallic thread on a queen size quilt I did.  I hate that thread

I do not like the metallic threads at all. They just don't seem worth the trouble to me.  I may change my mind a year or so down the road, but for now I just don't use it. I really like the look of the rayon threads, the way the colors change in the light just makes the design pop.  It is all I use for embroidery. Another thought on the thread breaking, are you using the right bobbin thread?  I use the 60 wgt for all my embroidery

Granny M

Top 100 Contributor
Female
806 Posts
Points 12,419

Good morning all, I have to say I love the metallic thread, just got to have that bling on some things. I always use a needle for metallic. Granny did you get the Anita Good designs when you bought your Quattro? I did the holly and swirls last Christmas. Did the swirls in metillic and they were beautiful. (On towels.) I use polyester embroidery thread it also is nice and shiney and no problems. I also use the 60 wgt for the bobbin. I have been sewing on my quattro and it seems to be doing great. So glad to have it back. My repair bill hasn't been paid yet so I wasn't too worried about performace when I brought it home. Nice to have a dealer that trust you. She didn't have the paper work on it yet when I brought it home. She called and said it was in so I dropped everything and went after it LOL

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,266 Posts
Points 35,160

Joan,  Glad the machine is working, finally.   Yes I did get those designs when I bought my machine, I had forgotten about it.  At the time I had a very old computer and it was not compatible.  I now have a new computer and will have to dig that out of my design box and look at it.  Thank you for reminding me.  I am going to be more off than on line this week due to daughter having surgery Thursday and we are trying to get all the tests etc done before then, so if I don't answer anything right away I will try to catch up when I get back.

Granny M

Top 100 Contributor
Female
806 Posts
Points 12,419

Granny M, Hope everything goes well with your daughter.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 24 2011 1:05 PM

I love metallic thread as well.  I have had really good luck with the Coats and Clarks metallic and a metallic needle.   The thread very rarely breaks.  I also put the little mess sleeve over my metallic thread when I use it.   Seems to help alot.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) Prev12
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use