embroidery

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 24 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
15 Posts
Points 390
cheryl132 posted on Wed, Nov 24 2010 5:09 PM

I have been trying to do a potrait of my grandson and am haveing a very hard time. The thread just keeps breaking. It sews a little and breaks and sews a little and breaks . It's bad enough you have to keep changing thread but all I do is  thread the needle. Is this normal? I'm useing sulky thread. Should I be useing something else? I'm really not likeing  this embroidering . I just get so tired of threading the needle. Could it be the needle? I haven't really used it much. Please help!!!!! 

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,736 Posts
Points 364,792
Kris replied on Wed, Nov 24 2010 7:26 PM

Hello Cheryl,

I understand you frustration. I just happen to have a book on machine embroidery at work with me. Here are some things it suggests you should check:

1. Fabric and stabilizer - are they taut in the hoop? Do they shift during sewing?

2. Thread - is the machine threaded properly? Is there an obstruction from the spool to the needle? Is the thread twisting as it enters the tension disk? Make sure the thread is unwinding properly. What type of thread are you using? Metallic thread needs a larger needle eye and should be used on an upright spool holder. Slow the machine speed for specialty threads

3. Density - If your design is too dense for the thread it will break. Use a lighter thread and a cut away stabilizer.

4. Is your needle new? Change it if it's not. Is your needle right for your thread and stabilizer? 

5. Tension - loosen upper tension.

6. Bobbin - wind your bobbin at a slower speed. Higher speeds makes the thread tight on the bobbin which leads to breakage.

I hope these tips help and you can finish that portrait.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,314 Posts
Points 154,598

Wow Kris -- lots of advice here for trouble shooting.  Thanks!  As a newbie to embroidery, I appreciate it. 

I made aprons for DILs Christmas.  They started kidding me at the dinner table yesterday about wanting their names on their aprons so they would know whose was whose.  I did my first monogramming project this morning.  Got Celeste's name a bit too high but it will work.  Had trouble with the thread on Lynn's  It got wrapped around the spool spindle because I didn't bother with the thread net on hers.  Lessons learned!  Cheryl - you might check this too.  I had so much trouble with my first project with the thread breaking because it kept getting wrapped around my spool spindle that I had to sit there and watch it like a hawk so it wouldn't wrap around.  One of the gals here suggested thread nets. I got some from Nancy's Notions.  Used one for Celeste's apron and it went so well, that I got cocky and left it off when I did Lynn's.  Never again!      

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,736 Posts
Points 364,792
Kris replied on Fri, Nov 26 2010 5:02 PM

You're welcome Marge. I've been reading up on machine embroidery so I can put my machine to good use when I get it back from the shop.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,269 Posts
Points 35,190

Cheryl

Some machines are touchy that the needle and thread go together.  When I first got my brother the instructions were there for matching but not very good. Then I saw a video that said to use the size embroidery needle in which the thread cover 3/4 of the eye when threaded.  I use a hand needle threader to check before I put in the machine and different threads do fit different in the needle.  I have not had any problem since.  After a while you get to know what size needle to use with what thread. On my machine this technique also works for other things I sew.  Good luck and don't give up

Granny M.

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 50

I had never heard that about having the thread cover 3/4's for the needle eye.  I think I will get the old magnifying glass out and take a look.  Might solve some of my thread breakage problems.

Thanks for the tip.

Judy

Not Ranked
15 Posts
Points 390

I was haveing a terrible time with my thread breaking . I was spending more time threading my needle than I was sewing. Then I figured out I was useing the wrong needle. I'm very new at this and I am learning things the hard way. I was trying to do a design on a shirt for my son in law for christmas , and it was almost done but to do some lettering when some how the material started to pucker and I ruined the shirt . I was so mad and it's to late to try again. I'm not so sure I like embriodering I'm realy haveing a hard time.

Thanks for listening

cheryl

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,269 Posts
Points 35,190

Cheryl

Hang in there, you will start to get it.  Look in your owners manual and see what it says about type of needle with what fabric.  I always use an embroidery needle when I do embroidery.  The puckering sounds like the Stablizer may not have been heavy enough.  Or the hoop was not tightened down enough, that will allow fabric to slip.  On a shirt, I would have used a sticky back stablizer and would not have had to put shirt in hoop, just on the stablizer.

Granny M

Not Ranked
15 Posts
Points 390

I did use the embroidery needle but I think you are right about the stabilizer. I don't think it was heavy enough. If you don't use the hoop , what do you do , hold it tight by hand? I wanted to use a sticky stabilizer but didn't have any so I used a medium grade . Like I said I am very new to embroidery and I get frustrated when it doesn't work out but I will keep trying till I get it . Thanks for your help. Sorry I don't answer right away but I'm not on the computer  very often since I'm spending more time with my sewing machine. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,269 Posts
Points 35,190

It is my understanding that the sticky stablizer holds the item tight enough. You just stick it on and start the machine.   I plan to use on some towels, some time this year but I have not been out much this winter.  Don't like driving on slick roads if I don't have to.   Don't worry about when you answer, sometimes I get to check the boards once or twice a day and sometime a day will go by.  seems like I get way behind then and takes forever to read everything. 

Spend all the time you can with your machine

Granny M

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
806 Posts
Points 12,419

Cheryl  Sometimes you have to use 2 layers of stabliizer. I hate the sticky stuff but sometimes you have to use it.  On things like towels or velvet. Things that the hoop will leave a mark that you can't get out. I didn't have classes. Just learning things the hard way. It stays with you longer that way.

Not Ranked
15 Posts
Points 390

How do you embroider without a hoop ? You have to be hooked to the embroidery part of the machine don't you?  I'm sure learning things the hard way. Just wish I could finish one project and have it come out good. Of course I never start with something simple I just jump in with both feet.. I wish there was a way to fix the shirt I was working on but I guess it's ruined. I will have to try again.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
806 Posts
Points 12,419

Cheryl, You use sticky stabilizer. The way I do  is cut a piece of stabilizer  slightly longer than the lower portion of my hoop , peal off the paper, turn the sticky side up, then lay the lower part of the hoop on the stickey paper. Then you can lay your project (shirt) on top of that . You can lift it up if you need to center it again, it will still stick. Then put your hoop on your machine and your good to go. You don't need to use the upper portion of your hoop. I hope this makes sense. Clear as mud huh?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,269 Posts
Points 35,190
Granny M replied on Wed, Dec 29 2010 11:54 AM

Cheryl   you can also hoop the stablizer, then run a pin around the paper on the inside of the hoop, then you can peel that part of the paper off and stick the towel, shirt , etc on the sticky part.  Both the way Joan does and this way will work.   I agree, I don't think you can save that shirt.  I also didn't have any classes, I live to far away from the dealer.

Granny M

Top 100 Contributor
Female
806 Posts
Points 12,419

Granny M. That is a really good way to do light weight things. That way you don't get sticky on your hoop. I like to use tearaway or iorn on when I can. Don't like the sticky, but sometimes you have no choice. My dealer doesn't offer classes, only a tole free phone # which I used a lot at first. LOL  

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use