rated by 0 users
This post has 736 Replies | 35 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,849
Points 366,407
Kris replied on Thu, Oct 3 2013 3:48 PM

Roxana:
I finally got mine up but I am afraid I wasn't as creative with the fabric choices I used in the blocks as some others were!

I like your fabrics.

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,350
Points 28,505

I still haven't cut out any blocks yet.  Bad few days early in the week and very busy days in the truck yesterday and today.  I DID make some progress tonight.  I found sashing and cornerstone fabrics.  I copied the fabrics to the computer (both had measuring tapes on them) and copied them to Paint.  Since the samples were 5" square, I made my basic page 5" square and copied one fabric to each with the tapes.  Using them, I was able to cut and paste to another page of Paint and have actually made a frame of sashing and cornerstones in proper proportions as they will be in the quilt.  Just imagine a block inside. 

I still need to iron about a dozen fat quarters and of course, those are most of the ones I am planning to use for the first 6 blocks.  As soon as this is done I can start piecing in the truck.  I finished the one quilt I had with binding on, so worked my way out of truck sewing.  Guess I will have to take the Kindle and camera tomorrow.  If it isn't as cloudy as today, I might be able to take some pictures of our fall colors - they are almost at peak.  It is getting late, past time for bed!  At least I don't have to worry about cooking for the weekend.  We had a fish-fry on the way home today and the piece of fish we each got was enough for 3 meals!  Of course we brought the rest home.  Tomorrow we will split a monster hamburger for dinner and save the fish for Sunday.  Why do they have to serve you enough for 3 people?  I could have fed our whole family (7 of us) with what was on our plates today.  The hamburgers we get where we are going tomorrow are 1/3 pound!  I used to make 5 hamburgers out of 1 pound!

I really DO need to go to bed now.  My fingers are so heavy that I am holding the keys and getting multiple extra letters that I have to go back and delete!!!!

Good Night, sleep tight, and dream good dreams (all of you who are still up at this hour.  Of course it is still fairly early for you far westerners).  The rest of you sensible enough to get to bed early, Good Morning, have a great day.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Oct 4 2013 11:18 PM

Marsha

You mentioned 5 in square.  You do realize that the blocks are actually 6" square.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,459
Points 40,890
Mimi replied on Sat, Oct 5 2013 8:55 AM

I wanted  to share this newer BOM called Hampton Ridge I'm also working on.  It uses Paula Barnes CW reproduction fabric.  There are 41 seven and a half in finished squares.  These are the ones I've finished so far.  The picture is a little skewed because of the angle. Block 4 was a bear but it's as good as it's gonna get.  lol

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,350
Points 28,505

Nana:

Marsha

You mentioned 5 in square.  You do realize that the blocks are actually 6" square.

Nana, I am making 6" finished blocks.  I know I now confused everyone.  The 5" referred to the fabric samples from the internet.  They had measuring tapes on them to give idea of the scale of the print and were 5" long.  By putting them in 5" pages in paint, I could get the fabrics to scale.  With cut and paste, I built the frame to 6" inside and extended the sash to 6" finished and 1" cornerstones.  I know this is way, way in the future, but until I have the time and strength, this is all I can do.  I am always doing things backwards!!!  My "good days" seem to be wasted bouncing around in the truck.  At least I accomplished this much and purchased the fabrics.  The stripe is on the way today - already shipped this morning!!  Haven't heard from the gold, yet.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,502
Points 48,070
Frances replied on Sat, Oct 5 2013 10:23 AM

Mimi,

I love these very pretty.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,459
Points 40,890
Mimi replied on Sat, Oct 5 2013 10:50 AM

Thanks Frances.  Only 37 more to go.  The setting is on point with sashing and cornerstones between the blocks so they look like they are floating.  Glad it's a year long project.  : )

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,771
Points 67,150
Bonita replied on Sat, Oct 5 2013 1:21 PM

Very pretty blocks Mimi.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,459
Points 40,890
Mimi replied on Sat, Oct 5 2013 3:28 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, Bonita.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Oct 5 2013 5:34 PM

Mimi

Your blocks are beautiful.  Great collection of fabrics.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Oct 5 2013 5:35 PM

Marsha

I haven't found a stripe I like for the sashing yet.  I keep looking though.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Oct 5 2013 10:12 PM

I have decided what I want to try for my sashing/cornerstones/borders.   I am planning on using indigo blue for the sashing with grey cornerstones.   Then the borders will be done with the blue and grey with mustard flange and binding.  I am also thinking of making another House Divided block to use for the quilt label and name my quilt A House Reunited.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,843
Points 32,075
Roxana replied on Sat, Oct 5 2013 11:28 PM

I love your idea. The quilt name is wonderful!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 801
Points 16,020
Sue replied on Mon, Oct 7 2013 1:34 PM

Jeanette,

Thought I'd reply here so as not to take up so much space on the blocks pages.

Like your idea to try out the blocks before using your "good" fabric.  So you had mentioned that you were going to try a pattern that had a lot of flying geese in it.  Have you looked into the Eleanor Burns ruler for making flying geese?  A friend had it at the last Bee I went to and I gave it a try, wonderful tool!  Very accurate, even had the 1/4" points marked so they were not cut off.  The ruler comes in two sizes that make 4 different size geese as I recall.  You may want to look into that for you other project.  

In the Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,335
Points 20,065

I am falling so far behind with this and the MQ!  That's OK.  Next weekend, DH is away, so I'll get to play catch-up.  For now, I'm up to my eyeballs at work and home, so will just have to wait a bit longer to get started.  I think I have plenty of fabric purchased.  In fact, I'm pretty sure, I am ahead of most of you in that regard.  ;)   Can't wait to see all the blocks!

Raleigh, NC

Page 24 of 50 (737 items) «Prev2223242526Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use