rated by 0 users
This post has 734 Replies | 35 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 7,025
Julienne replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 8:50 AM

Tami Paul:

I did my best to take a pic of the fat quarters I picked up. some how one of the blues isnt that same as the others.... anyway do you think these will work for period fabrics?

Can some one bring me up to date on the Union Solider project. I do not know where to look or where the project is at this point. I have my book and that is about it. I do have some period fabrics from a project I did before, but I would like to see what others have picked etc. Thanks.

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,459
Points 40,890
Mimi replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 9:13 AM

Julienne:
Can some one bring me up to date on the Union Solider project.

Julienne, We are starting the project October 1st.  We have just written 21 pages of comments about our fabric choices and how we think things will go.  There are no set fabric choices.  It's what you want to use.  Nana, Karla, and Roxana are working on deciding which blocks will be constructed first.  They are posting assignments every two weeks. (I think)  So what ever your heart desires for fabric and background is great.  You are free to do what you want.  The first directions should be up sometime next week.  This should be a fun quilt to make with all our QCA friends sewing along.  Hey....it's a sew along.  Hope I answered your questions and it's good to see you back on site.  Sorry for your medical problems but glad things worked out for the better.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 11:13 AM

Tami

All of your FQs are beautiful.  They will be perfect.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 11:18 AM

Julienne

Mimi did a pretty good job explaining things.   You can use whatever fabrics you like.   There are a lot of us that are using the CW repro fabrics but it isn't necessary.   The first set of 6 blocks will be posted Oct 1.  Then the next set will be posted Oct 15.   Roxana, Karla, and I are trying to work ahead so that we can post pics of our completed blocks with each assignment.   We also hope to be able to post any tips we have found that helped make the block easier.   This project is mostly a sew along with the group.   No pressure....work at your own pace.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 598
Points 10,500
Tami Paul replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 11:57 AM

thanks Nana. I kind of get the period but not always sure, unless it tells me it is. haha guess I could be a sucker. I know there was group of some I saw once and there were a few that I knew better. I have looked on line and around, Also tried to do some reading on the era. Well I think I might take some more cash, and see if I can pick a few more up at that price. 

Okay I cant remember who said they had done the mando bags. I hope you will be my adviser when I attempt it. The instruction yesterday made it seem pretty clear as what to do. I plan on do scrappy so far what I am wondering is how not to end up with the same blocks coming together when it is assembled. Do you notice anything with that? I plan on doiing the block out of the bag trick to keep it uncontrolled scrappy.

well off to the quilt show again. Need to give DH a honey do list so he dont miss me Ha ha

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 3:14 PM

Tami

I used a jelly roll to do my mondo bag.  I just laid out the squares and fused them with no rhyme or reason.   And I didn't worry about same squares matching up in the seams because it really isn't noticeable.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 598
Points 10,500
Tami Paul replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 5:58 PM

thanks Nana. I thought about using a jelly roll, and saw one at a great price, but decided I wanted to get rid of some of my scraps. I might even have some left overs from some of the past projects. I am having a great time at the quilt show and not getting much done with my MQ. I was going to buy this pattern for a card holder purse (kind of like a coin purse.) but I held off and thought maybe I can figure this out on my own or find it on line. I ended up winning it and it came with the fabric too. so good score. bought Maggie Ball's book ( she was our national guest speaker.) Bargello quilts with a twist. You make blocks only working with 4 fabrics at a time then sew them together. I might be able to handle that. I picked up 15 more of the fat quarters that look CW to me. The lady remembered me from yesterday. She said, you know I had that material forever in a bottom draw, I decided to cut it up and sell it for a buck. I know it is old. I told her it was just what I was looking for, and told her what we were doing. Then I hid the rest of the stuff I got from DH. Mostly because it was for a project I am working on for him. Checked out the demos on a couple different styles of the twisted rulers. They make nice quick quilts but I told myself I have enough to do with out starting something new. One of them was a local shop and the other gave me their card. so I can get them later if I choose. Just seems like there should be a way to do them with out the specialty ruler that you only use once. Boy am I rattling on. So I guess you can tell I am pumped up.  Also saw a cool way to baste your quilts without pinning or using spray kind of cool. using two boards,, and you can sit down the whole time, no back ache or fumes.

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,664
Points 120,340

Tami Paul:
bought Maggie Ball's book ( she was our national guest speaker.) Bargello quilts with a twist

Tami, I have that book and made one of the quilts a couple years ago. .

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 598
Points 10,500
Tami Paul replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 6:33 PM

well I am going to give it a shot Judy. I tried the other way, not good. I had to put everything away because of family coming for the holidays to visit. and afterward I just looked at it. I have it all in a bag. really don't like the color , thinking about tying all the ends together and get out a big hook and make a rug. pad like thing. haha. But doesn't she live in your neighborhood? she said she moved from England about 30yrs ago, spent a couple of yrs here in walla walla, then moved up there somewhere. cant think of the name. she has came back and taught a couple of classes before today

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,664
Points 120,340

Tami Paul:
But doesn't she live in your neighborhood? she said she moved from England about 30yrs ago,

Maggie Ball lives on Bainbridge Island. I met her last year at the annual Stash Dash on the Peninsula. That's a fun thing to do. Only 6 shops this year, spread out over 90 miles (for me and my friends over 300 driving miles) but each shop gives out a fat quarter. This year's drawing is for a Singer Featherweight so I'm hoping for that. We make a day of it, catch the 9am ferry to Port Townsend.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 598
Points 10,500
Tami Paul replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 7:26 PM

gather that is like the shop hop we have next week. I think we are getting four 10" at each shop. It starts here Wednesday but I am passing. I have to work wes, and thurs. plus have the trip to portland and spokane coming up. oh and property taxes due at the end of Oct and went in on a hog with SIL, so I need to start taking it easy, the holidays are coming up. She seems really nice and the stuff she did with getting that one program going to help women is awesome. ya got her to sign my book,so guess that makes it more special than order on line haha

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 8:18 PM

Tami

I tried the basting method with the 2 boards once and didn't have much luck.   Plus I would never find boards that would handle my tents....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 598
Points 10,500
Tami Paul replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 8:42 PM

Nana , personally I spray to avoid the basting. But it was still nice to learn, might give it a shot on a small project but I doubt it. I think by learning others techniques that I will be able to come up with something new and diff myself... maybe

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140

Baby isn't home yet. I think it will be a while. They probably won't let him go until he is closer to five pounds. Or at least four.

Nana:

Love you too Elaine.   Sounds like the baby is progressing well.   Is he home yet?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,830
Points 31,860
Roxana replied on Sun, Sep 29 2013 5:50 PM

Elaine Phillips:

.... I noticed that poor Roxana was taking you a little too seriously! Love you, Nana!!

"poor Roxana" ... Oh me! Oh my! What's a gal to do?! ... Mimi, with her plate as full as it is, applied the pressure though. I do have beautiful fabrics for the Mysetery Quilt and learned last year that you want to make that as you go. They aren't called Mystery Quilts for nothing! I'll try to get caught up before the next posting.

On another note, if you are on Facebook, go to the Fons and Porter page. They are giving away a free eBook on Civil War quilts. I thought it was good, especially for the price!

Page 21 of 49 (735 items) «Prev1920212223Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use