11/12 Augusta A 6 pg 17

rated by 0 users
This post has 121 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 170
Points 4,845

here is mine.  Not perfect but I'm going on the man on the galloping horse theory.  I figure in a quilt with a gazillion small sample blocks in it no one will notice except me.  I won't tell!

Martha

Parker, CO

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,478
Points 362,142
Kris replied on Mon, Nov 18 2013 12:14 PM

Nana:
Kris fantastic block.

Thanks Nana.

Carolyn (CarolBeau):
Great job, kris.

Thanks Carolyn. Your block is beautiful.

Martha Haines:
here is mine.

Beautiful block Martha.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Mon, Nov 18 2013 1:42 PM

Martha I don't see anything to "not tell" about.  Your block is beautiful.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,327
Points 27,985
Marsha-SM replied on Mon, Nov 18 2013 6:09 PM

Kris:

Marsha, search for the block by name. I don't look through all of them. If I don't fine the name, I search for one I know that has a similar construction then edit the block.

Thanks, Kris.  I tried searching in Block Base which I have added to EQ and found the block as Augusta but couldn't retrieve it from EQ until I remembered that Block Base blocks are numbered for transferring to EQ.  I was able to transfer the block to EQ by searching from EQ for the Block Base block by it's number (can't remember number now).  I was able to then print out block's rotary cutting there.  (Sorry for that strange sentence above with all the EQs)

Here is my block.  It is not one of my better jobs - really needs mostly just steaming or starching to calm down all the bumpy seams and fold-overs.  I was rushing to get it done since I had made up the visuals for that problem rectangle.  I might have to tweak a few seams.  I marked the seam line around the block on the back and seams in some spots are very skinny so need some help!!!

Kris, another perfect spider block.  I see a lot of beautiful blocks here.  This one was a challenge for all

Edit:  I thought the block was here when I posted, but when I looked this morning it wasn't.  It even visibly disappeared from the computer.  It IS below!!!

Marsha - Western New York

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 685
Points 10,365

Marsha,

Thank you so much.  I love that you went step by step for me.  I tried early this morning to make one and I got closer then I did over the weekend, but still was not right. your picture showed me what I was doing wrong ( I think). I am not sure why I am having problems with this one.  Could be just a mental thing.

I found out I will not have the little one tomorrow so I am going to try again tomorrow morning.   I will have your instuctions in front of me while I am doing it.  I will probably feel like a dummy after, but that is ok.  It will not be the first time.

Yours looks beautiful. Your points came out so perfect and I love the color combination you have.

Thanks again and hopefully I will be able to post tomorrow this block.

Jeanette

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 685
Points 10,365

Martha,

Your block looks great to me. Love the blue fabric.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 170
Points 4,845

Thanks to everyone on the comments on my block.  I feel better about it. All those bias edges were really hard to work with and my block is a little less than 6 1/2 ".  If I really get a bug up my ... er ... NOSE ;)  I might try doing it again to see if I can improve.  Knowing that all of you will be seeing what I produce makes me more careful and I try to be more precise in my piecing than I might be otherwise.  Especially since I know a lot of you are experienced quilters.  

Martha

Parker, CO

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,736
Points 30,145
Roxana replied on Mon, Nov 18 2013 8:11 PM

Marsha-SM:

Kris:

Marsha, search for the block by name. I don't look through all of them. If I don't fine the name, I search for one I know that has a similar construction then edit the block.

I tried searching in Block Base which I have added to EQ and found the block as Augusta but couldn't retrieve it from EQ until I remembered that Block Base blocks are numbered for transferring to EQ.  I was able to transfer the block to EQ by searching from EQ for the Block Base block by it's number (can't remember number now).  I was able to then print out block's rotary cutting there.  

So, Marsha, where do you get the number? From the book?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,478
Points 362,142
Kris replied on Mon, Nov 18 2013 8:35 PM

Marsha-SM:
Thanks, Kris.  I tried searching in Block Base which I have added to EQ and found the block as Augusta but couldn't retrieve it from EQ until I remembered that Block Base blocks are numbered for transferring to EQ.  I was able to transfer the block to EQ by searching from EQ for the Block Base block by it's number (can't remember number now).  I was able to then print out block's rotary cutting there.  (Sorry for that strange sentence above with all the EQs)

Even though Block Base uses numbers the names of the blocks are referenced on their notecards. When you search check all the boxes so it doesn't just search by name. I have several libraries linked to my EQ library. I found this block by it's name.

Thanks for the compliments on my block. I can't see yours.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,327
Points 27,985
Marsha-SM replied on Tue, Nov 19 2013 9:24 AM

Jeanette Kennedy Asiala:
I am not sure why I am having problems with this one.  Could be just a mental thing.

Jeanette, I am with you in the "mental thing".  I have days when I am sure I am dyslexic, as I can't determine left from right.  When I finished these myself, I got some of the white triangles going left and some going right!!  I even pinned them, and ended up with them going reverse from my pictures!!!  It doesn't matter which way they go, just have 2 sets alike for the rectangle.  I think the problem some are having is that the base of the light triangle is just slightly smaller and easily stitched to the dark triangle by mistake.  Main thing to remember - top of triangle to top of  triangle, base to base, 2 sets alike.

Hope you have good luck this time.  This is what seam rippers are for!!!!  - - - I had to use one a few times before I got my block done.  Still needs a little tweaking, if the steam or starch don't help it lay right.  Less than 1/8 inch is not enough seam allowance!!!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,327
Points 27,985
Marsha-SM replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 2:00 PM

This block is spooky!!  I thought I had posted it with my last post, but it isn't here.  Looked for it on the computer and couldn't find it!  Tried to save it again to the computer and it said "do you want to replace this file" - - - Cancelled the new file, looked back where other blocks were and there it was!!!  Either I am blind or computer is playing tricks on me.  

• Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 6:10 PM

Marsha great job on a tough block.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,333
Points 20,025

Marsha, you did a great job with this one and I love your navy and green combo!  I have a king-sized navy and green quilt that my mom started many years ago that just needs more quilting added to it.  One of these days, I'm going to get around to that and have a navy and green bedroom for a little while.  :)

Raleigh, NC

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 798
Points 15,930
Sue replied on Thu, Nov 21 2013 4:15 PM

Well here it is, finally, this one was a bear to do, but I got it done!  Now it's correct.  I really shouldn't post when I'm tired!

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

• Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,685
Points 66,000
Bonita replied on Thu, Nov 21 2013 4:48 PM

Sue. beautiful block. WTG on a difficult one.

Page 5 of 9 (122 items) «Prev34567Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use