11/12 Augusta A 6 pg 17

rated by 0 users
This post has 119 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 684
Points 10,285

Thank you Jacy for the great tips.  I am getting ready to tackle this one.

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 684
Points 10,285

Judy,

This block is stunning.  I really love your fabric choice.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sat, Nov 16 2013 11:29 AM

Everyone's blocks are so beautiful.   WTG ladies on a very difficult block.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,274
Points 26,970
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Nov 16 2013 1:27 PM

Kris:
I found it in EQ so it was easy to print templates for the elongated hourglass and rotary cut the squares and outer triangles.

Kris, that is what I did, but I drafted the block myself.  That is quicker for me than looking through all the blocks to find the one I need.  Usually I can't find it so end up drafting anyway.  Love your colors for this one.  How many different spider fabrics to you have?

Jacy, thanks for the tips.  I already do most of them but didn't cut the "tails" of the template before cutting the skinny triangles.  Would have saved cutting those skinnier points!  Have this one cut out and plan to piece it today.  I am mixing the last 2 sets, doing more difficult ones first, then doing the easy ones last or when I am too tired to concentrate or even hold the tinier pieces. Caught up cutting out all block kits Thursday night and have spent  Friday and today finishing Anneke's Choice.  Will post blocks in random order for these 12 blocks.  

Marsha - Western New York

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 714
Points 14,000
Sue replied on Sun, Nov 17 2013 10:06 AM

OMG!  This one sounds like the hardest yet!  It will certainly be the last one done! LOL

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,802
Points 352,062
Kris replied on Sun, Nov 17 2013 11:46 AM

Marsha-SM:
 Kris, that is what I did, but I drafted the block myself.  That is quicker for me than looking through all the blocks to find the one I need.  Usually I can't find it so end up drafting anyway.

Marsha, search for the block by name. I don't look through all of them. If I don't fine the name, I search for one I know that has a similar construction then edit the block.

Marsha-SM:
How many different spider fabrics to you have?

I'm not really sure. I have lots of webs and some with spiders. I did through FQs and yardage for the colour I need. I'm realising just how many spiders I have.

Thanks everyone for the compliments on my blocks.

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,274
Points 26,970
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Nov 17 2013 4:39 PM

I am about to start this block tonight.  Wish me luck!!  I think it will be easier for me because I hand piece and avoid stitching in all seam allowances.  I also mark junctions of seams with dots before attempting to line them up.  This is something I learned as a teenager many, many years ago when sewing clothes for myself.  The patterns I used then just had perforations at the seam junctions and no seamlines printed.  Later I was able to gauge a 5/8ths seamline and junctions without marking.  That saved time, especially as I sewed for our 5 children.   I can now gauge the scant 1/4 inch and probably couldn't get a proper 5/8ths if my life depended on it.

Everyone that has finished this block is brave to try it.  There are so many methods of doing a block like this and one method will work for one but not for another.  Good luck for those who still need to make the block.  My success or failure will be posted soon, I hope.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sun, Nov 17 2013 6:36 PM

Kris fantastic block. 

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,324
Points 19,935

Great job, kris. Jacy, thanks for the tip. I would have had a hard time getting started without it. 

Raleigh, NC

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,338
Points 38,885
Mimi replied on Sun, Nov 17 2013 9:28 PM

So fantastic, Carolyn.  Every block you make is better than the last one you made.  Pretty, pretty blues.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 684
Points 10,285

Caolyn your block is beautiful.

Marsha, Mimi and Sue, thanks for your advice on this block.  I will let it go for awhile and try again.  I have a stubborn streak and don't like to give up which is why I will not let this one get the better of me.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Mon, Nov 18 2013 4:06 AM

Great Job Carolyn

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,324
Points 19,935

Thanks Mimi!

Raleigh, NC

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,274
Points 26,970
Marsha-SM replied on Mon, Nov 18 2013 9:03 AM

Jeanette Kennedy Asiala:
I have a stubborn streak and don't like to give up which is why I will not let this one get the better of me.

So do I!!!

Here is something I did last night which may help

Steps 4 of Augusta

Step 1:  mark scant 1/4" seam lines on all edges of backs of all triangles B and C.

Step 1                                                                                                       Step 2

Step 2:  Pin through intersections of lines on both pieces - top of white triangle matched to top point of skinny triangle, and base corners of both triangles.  Base of white is shorter than sides, base of green is long.

Step 3:  Stitch long side of white to short side of green.  By hand I start and end (after back stitching) from pin to pin.  You can stitch to edge of fabric by machine.  I don't do that when doing by hand, because stitches pull out more easily if cut since there is only one thread.  

Step 3                                                                                                        Step 4

Step 4:  Press seams to green side and trim "ears".  That can be done when rectangle is assembled, if desired.  Make all 8 triangle combinations identical, or be sure you have pairs alike, not reversed.  White can be stitched to either shorter leg of green, but make sure the 2 being combined are alike.  In picture are the 2 triangles needed for one rectangle - one is trimmed and one not trimmed.  Trimming can be done before or after sewing together.

Step 5:  Match points and centers, stitch, press, and trim "ears" if not done before.

You now have the pesky rectangular unit done.  Mine came out about 1 7/8 x 3 3/8.  I will soon see if that fits with the rest of the block.  Will be slow, as I am doing by hand.

Do rest of block as usual.  I don't think anything else will be a problem.  I will do diagonal strip first, then side triangle units next, add this unit between 2 triangle units, add corner triangles, then assemble one large triangle unit to each side of diagonal strip unit.  

You now have a block - - - hopefully, unless I goofed in making this understandable, or just plain goofed!!  I haven't finished my block past the problem units.  Will soon finish and post.

Please let me know if this helps.

• Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 714
Points 14,000
Sue replied on Mon, Nov 18 2013 11:09 AM

Marsha,

Those instructions look and sound great, now I will try this one later today.  Have to plant some plants I brought back from Arizona then I can get to quilting.

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Page 4 of 8 (120 items) «Prev23456Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use