General Discussion

rated by 0 users
This post has 722 Replies | 35 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070
Elizabeth replied on Sun, Dec 29 2013 10:13 AM

Welcome Beth, no worries about being behind, I am 3 assignments behind.  It's easy to catch up

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,330
Points 28,075
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Dec 29 2013 11:46 AM

Elizabeth:

Welcome Beth, no worries about being behind, I am 3 assignments behind.  It's easy to catch up

I am right there with all of you - about 3 assignments behind also - but Rich is now going to do his trucking "alone" on Mondays, so guess who gets to go along!  I need these trips to get these blocks sewn, as I have already named the quilt "Rough Roads Ahead".  All blocks have been done by hand at home so far.  Bonnie Hunter and College quilts are keeping the sewing machine hot, so no relaxation time to do these blocks.  There is enough seam-taming, trimming, frogging, etc. to be done on these quilts, so I do that on my lap board instead of sewing the LUS blocks.  The holidays are almost gone, so may get a little more time at the machine to get these others done.  Of course, there is a New Years Eve mystery I may do - actually participate in a day long sewing session online.  I shouldn't do it, but maybe it will turn into another college quilt.  I will need about 20 more for the grandkids, grand-nieces, and grand-nephews.  Rich said yesterday that I will never get these quilts done.  He shouldn't have said that - it is the only prodding I need to prove him wrong.  He better not say I am spending too much time at the machine now!!!

Have fun with these blocks and I soon will get a chance to catch up.  Rich is now 2 months from his hip replacement and thinks he is ready to be let loose alone!!  Of course, he needs his secretary.  We will see how strong he is at loading 100 pound calves alone.  He has had our nephew on Mondays and a grandson last week, but they have other interests than riding in a truck all day to handle a few calves and cows for "limpy"  .  I am very little help, but probably could help boost a calf into the trailer.  I used to be able to do that alone, but old age has really done a number on me.  He still has help for Thursday, the busiest trucking day.  Our Amish neighbor goes with him so the sewing machine will be busy and the table will be busy with sandwiching the tops I have already gotten done.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 685
Points 10,365

Welcome Beth.  Glad you are with us.  You will have so much fun with this group.  As for being behind well I always seem to be behind.  Everytime I catch up something happens and I am behind again  (like I am right now).  Look forward to seeing all your block.

Jeanette

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,485
Points 362,207
Kris replied on Sun, Dec 29 2013 2:47 PM

Hi Ladies. For those who've been asking here's my plan for this project. The first section is mostly quilted:

On the back I enlarged the double four-patch. This allows me to use large prints:

I plan on enlarging different blocks for the rest of the back.

I'm working in nine-patches A, B, C 1 through 3 then 5 through 7 then  9 through 11. The 4s are sashing. Here's the set up:

and here they are together:

I haven't completed the backs yet but will update as I progress. The third section is almost together just need to cut some cornerstones.

• Post Points: 65
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 798
Points 15,930
Sue replied on Sun, Dec 29 2013 3:09 PM

WOW! Again.  Kris this is wonderful.  You've given me a push to try something new here.

Question, when you add in your 4's, you sew right sides together obliviously, and the other sections are already quilted? how do you handle adding in the 4's on the back?  Curious minds want to know.

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,485
Points 362,207
Kris replied on Sun, Dec 29 2013 3:34 PM

Hi Sue, thanks for the compliment.

Only the first section is quilted and it is not quilted to the edges. I fold back the top and batting then add the back. Press that open the lay the batting and top back in place then continue the quilting. I add them in the sections I've shown quilting as I go not before I add them. Make sense?

I do it like this because I get the seams on the inside same as if I pieced the traditional way. This is my first time doing this and it's working so far.

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 685
Points 10,365

Wow Kris this is so cute.  I love what you are doing with the blocks.  I have to admit I don't fully understand how you are putting it together, but it looks beautiful.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,485
Points 362,207
Kris replied on Sun, Dec 29 2013 3:50 PM

Thanks Jeanette. I'll take some photos when I add the next part.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 798
Points 15,930
Sue replied on Sun, Dec 29 2013 4:48 PM

Kris:

Only the first section is quilted and it is not quilted to the edges. I fold back the top and batting then add the back. Press that open the lay the batting and top back in place then continue the quilting. I add them in the sections I've shown quilting as I go not before I add them. Make sense?

I do it like this because I get the seams on the inside same as if I pieced the traditional way. This is my first time doing this and it's working so far.

Yes, it does make sense. Is your batting in sections too?

I do like this way of doing the quilting, you get the whole thing done as you go and don't have another UFO.  Now I need to look for some backing and get more batting.  Another trip is in order, but it will have to be next year.  The best place to get what I want is 60 miles north of me and they are closed until next year!  Bummer.

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,330
Points 28,075
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Dec 29 2013 5:02 PM

Kris:

Hi Sue, thanks for the compliment.

Kris, I like this method also.  The other way I do it is to seam the tops first then hand sew the back seam.  Since I like hand sewing, I prefer this method.  I do not like the methods where the sashing is sewn on front and back where the sections go together.  I have tried it, but our methods are faster and not so bulky and don't add the sashing look to the back.  I like your backing blocks!!  I knew this would turn out wonderful.  

Marsha - Western New York

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,473
Points 116,865

Kris, that is really awesome quilt. I keep wanting to quilt in sections. The only time I've done that is when I made log cabin quilts way back "in the day". Each 14" block was quilted and then the blocks sewn together.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140

Kris, are you hand quilting this quilt?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,485
Points 362,207
Kris replied on Sun, Dec 29 2013 8:50 PM

Sue:
Yes, it does make sense. Is your batting in sections too?

Yes it is. I overlap as I go.

Marsha-SM:
 I do not like the methods where the sashing is sewn on front and back where the sections go together.  I have tried it, but our methods are faster and not so bulky and don't add the sashing look to the back

I don’t like that look either. That’s why I’m doing it this way. This is my first QAYG. I didn’t think of hand sewing the back seam. I enjoy hand sewing as well.

Marsha-SM:
 I like your backing blocks!!  I knew this would turn out wonderful.

Thanks. I really appreciate that.

Judy T-Bellingham:
Kris, that is really awesome quilt.

Thanks Judy.

Elaine Phillips:
Kris, are you hand quilting this quilt?

No. That first bit is machine quilted. I printed spiderweb drawings I found online. I’m using those as my quilting motif. I have hand quilting started on an appliqué quilt it’s going very slowly. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,011
Points 19,465

Kris - I am really liking your Halloween LUS sampler!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,011
Points 19,465

OK - guess I can start this real soon.  Had to go pick up my First Ladies BOM and the shop just happens to be the one that handles Kansas Troubles and CW material. I picked up some lights, blues and browns.  (Bill couldn't understand why I needed all the fat quarters)

i have spent the day in quilt room trying to bring a little order to it and as I washing and ironing some material I bought in the summer, I pulled some others from my stash.  As I finish, I hope to have enough to make a good start.

My LQS is having a "class" where they will do 3 easy, 3 intermediate and 3 more difficult of these blocks in 3 classes for $60. Then you are on your own so I figured I might as we'll work along with this group.  More fun and I won't end up with only 9 blocks.

Well back to the quilt room to hopefully finish a section and then I need to do 6 placemats and a table runner that Bill picked out this fall when we stopped at the Hersey, PA shop.  It is too bad it is now closed, it seemed like a nice shop.

Page 37 of 49 (723 items) «Prev3536373839Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use