General Discussion

rated by 0 users
This post has 744 Replies | 35 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 265

Hi to all.  Just join this group and I am excited!!  I don't have this book, but I am now on the hunt for it.  I have "lots" of civil war fabrics, so that should not be a problem for me -  BUT of course I am always on the lookout for more.  I have read all 16 pages of posts and I am understanding that we will need 8 yards of a cream like fabric for a background and/or multiple cream like fabrics. Is this a safe assumption?? You know what they say about that and I hope to know better by now. I love every ones fabric selections.  Hopefully I will find the book soon and will be able to start with the rest of the group.    Thanks 

Kathy in MI.

• Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,800
Points 122,995

Good to have you with us Kathy. I am using a variety of neutral background fabrics and lots of scrappy CW fabrics. Maybe there are a few that aren't really CW but I figure that's OK.

I got my book from Amazon.com

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 685
Points 10,365

Kathy you can get the book from Amazon.  I ordered mine on Monday night and had it by Thursday.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 9:40 PM

Kathy in MI.:

Hi to all.  Just join this group and I am excited!!  I don't have this book, but I am now on the hunt for it.  I have "lots" of civil war fabrics, so that should not be a problem for me -  BUT of course I am always on the lookout for more.  I have read all 16 pages of posts and I am understanding that we will need 8 yards of a cream like fabric for a background and/or multiple cream like fabrics. Is this a safe assumption?? You know what they say about that and I hope to know better by now. I love every ones fabric selections.  Hopefully I will find the book soon and will be able to start with the rest of the group.    Thanks 

Kathy in MI.

Yes Kathy, you can buy the book from Amazon. You can also click "look inside" and you can read some of the pages, including the page that has all the fabric requirements. This quilt is a perfect quilt to use up scraps and stash. Many of us are using more than one fabric for the background. it makes it more interesting and that's probably how they made sampler quilts back in the day.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,729
Points 437,100
Nana replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 9:57 PM

Kathy

I am going to use several background fabrics.  This will give it more authenticity.   No one during that period would have used a 7 yd cut of fabric for a quilt...LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 12:09 AM

I agree Jacy and Nana, I'm using at least 6 different background fabrics for mine.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,824
Points 67,955
Bonita replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 6:16 AM

Nana:
No one during that period would have used a 7 yd cut of fabric for a quilt...LOL>

You're right Nana, if they had 7 yards it went into the skirt of the dress. Then the leftovers went into a quilt.

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,892
Points 32,810
Roxana replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 2:14 PM

If someone hasn't yet purchased their book, I got an email today from the Fat Quarter Shop saying it was 20% off. Just thought I would pass it on...

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,800
Points 122,995

Tami Paul:

so I went online to see what the rest of the line looked like and I found this site. I thought I would share because the prices were 3.26 for 1/2 yds. 

http://shop.nanascreationsonline.com/category.sc?categoryId=19

Wow, I ordered the fabrics on Sept 9th and they arrived today, Sept 12th. That is really fast. I'm very pleased with the fabrics.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,729
Points 437,100
Nana replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 7:09 PM

Judy

Mine came today too.   I got the same two blue ones.  Plus some others....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 10,645
Tami Paul replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 9:27 PM

Judy I order the middle one too. I order tues mid morning before I went to work. It was sitting here when I got home. so that is fast I will have to remember that

Okay I need to edit. I work 40hrs in 3day and do not belong online right after. So, what I meant to say that the fabric was here when I got home on thursday 12th

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,729
Points 437,100
Nana replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 9:48 PM

I also ordered some fabrics from the Whittles site that someone posted.   They were very quick on their delivery and the fabrics are fantastic.  They had a lot of the mourning greys.  I love them ....  they look purple in certain light and grey in other.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 205
Corine replied on Fri, Sep 13 2013 1:49 AM

I received my book today. Ordered it from Barnes and Nobles. I haven't had a chance to look through it yet, but I am very excited to work on this with a group. I have never done this before and am looking forward to making new friends that have a love for one of my passions. I do not have a network around me to share and feed ideas with, so this is wonderful.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,729
Points 437,100
Nana replied on Fri, Sep 13 2013 2:32 AM

Corine

I hope you have fun with us.   Where are you from?   I live in Va.  It is so neat to be able to meet people from all over.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Fri, Sep 13 2013 8:29 AM

Nana:

I also ordered some fabrics from the Whittles site that someone posted.   They were very quick on their delivery and the fabrics are fantastic.  They had a lot of the mourning greys.  I love them ....  they look purple in certain light and grey in other.

I did too. I think mine came in 2 days. I was tempted to buy those greys but I have plenty of CW fabric, but I found several nice fabrics  for $4-5 a yard.

Page 17 of 50 (745 items) «Prev1516171819Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use