General Discussion

rated by 0 users
This post has 748 Replies | 35 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,842
Points 123,705

Quilthappy7:
Thanks for sharing your plans, Judy.  I was actually thinking of doing a tone on tone, but all my CW background fabs are shirtings so they have two colors to them.  I'm not sure I've even seen just a tot CW background fabric.  Where do you find them? 

I think I may have misspoke a bit. I do have some tone on tone that will work in the project but doubt if they are genuine CW. The CW I will be using as part of the background are neutrals but do have a bit of pattern to them. But I figured they will work fine as background. Here's a photo.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Tue, Sep 3 2013 7:38 PM

Karla

Connecting Threads quilter's candy line would make beautiful background fabrics.   I love their mottled fabrics.   They usually carry some creams and tans in their line at very reasonable prices.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 1,020

Thank you Judy!  A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say.  Looks like you've got some great fabrics there for your block backgrounds.  I'll have to poke around and see what's in my stash, but I'm guessing I'll need to buy some, too. ;-)

Karla in CO

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 1,020

Nana:

Karla

Connecting Threads quilter's candy line would make beautiful background fabrics.   I love their mottled fabrics.   They usually carry some creams and tans in their line at very reasonable prices.

Thanks for the tip, Nana.  I did look there tonight and see they are currently out of their cream Mirage fabric, which I think is what you're referring to by mottled.  Please correct me if I'm wrong. :-)

Karla in CO

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Tue, Sep 3 2013 11:30 PM

Karla

That is the one.  I couldn't remember  Mirage.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 685
Points 10,365

Just received my book today and i must say I am very excited.  i am fairly new to quilting and have never done anything like this. I don't have alot of stash but I did buy some 5inch squares of CW fabric awhile back without knowing what I was going to do with it. So I am so happy for this group.  Hopefully I will be able to use some of the fabric I puchased.

Jeanette

Michigan

P.S.  i hope I did this in the right area because I have not done this either.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,475
Points 24,120

I received my Hancocks catalog yesterday and I found a hand dyed muslin in a parchment color that I might order for my background for $5.98 a yard. All the lights I have are all too dark to go with my other fabrics. I am using Barbara Brackman's Civil War Jubilee primarily, supplementing with some other CW fabrics I have. I spent a good part of yesterday gathering all the fabrics. All I need is my background.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Wed, Sep 4 2013 4:54 PM

Some of the cream tones I picked out of my CW stash....

And here is some more of the stash I plan on using, there is still more in the CW stash, but this is what I'm starting with.

I know I have some more dark browns and blues and even a purple CW if I can just find where I put it.  For some reason they were not in my CW stash tub.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,842
Points 123,705

Really pretty fabrics Karla. Are you bringing this to work on in Oregon?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Wed, Sep 4 2013 5:53 PM

Elaine

I think a parchment muslin would be perfect.  I love working with the high quality muslins.  Need to keep more of it in my stash.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Wed, Sep 4 2013 5:55 PM

Karla

You have some really pretty fabrics to use.   I love the browns and purples they have in the CW fabrics these days.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 1,020

Elaine Phillips:

I received my Hancocks catalog yesterday and I found a hand dyed muslin in a parchment color that I might order for my background for $5.98 a yard. All the lights I have are all too dark to go with my other fabrics. I am using Barbara Brackman's Civil War Jubilee primarily, supplementing with some other CW fabrics I have. I spent a good part of yesterday gathering all the fabrics. All I need is my background.

Hi Elaine,

This is a great idea!  I couldn't find the exact one you mention here, but I did find what I wanted at the fatquartershop.com for a few cents more per yard.  Now, all I have to do is start pulling fabs from my stash, yay!  My book should be here by Friday. :-)

Karla in CO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Wed, Sep 4 2013 7:30 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Really pretty fabrics Karla. Are you bringing this to work on in Oregon?

Probably one of many that will be coming with me...

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,383
Points 20,740

Ok:  It's official.  I'm making this a blue and white. I expect that it will look similar to the blue and white in the book, but mine will be a little lighter.  Yay!!  I'm excited.  I feel great, knowing what I'm doing.  I just ordered my background, a few yards each of sky blue and navy solids, and a few more blue and white prints.  :)  I'll post a picture of all my fabrics once those arrive.  I feel great knowing what I'm doing and I love blue and white quilts, so I'm sure I'm going to love this one.  :)

Raleigh, NC

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Thu, Sep 5 2013 4:09 PM

Carolyn, I also like the blue and white quilt in the book and had thought about doing one in blue and white but already have started a blue and white star quilt. I will be looking forward to seeing pictures of yours.

Everyone's fabric choices are beautiful!!

from TN

Page 12 of 50 (749 items) «Prev1011121314Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use