General Discussion

rated by 0 users
This post has 730 Replies | 35 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,579
Points 118,650

Tami Paul:
A couple of days later I found them. I had actually already put them on the quilt top. So missing blocks were found, and I felt a little bit dumber lol

That's funny Tami. Sometimes we look too hard and miss what's right under our noses.

As far as the length of the project, that's always been really loosey goosey.  The Harry Potter project in Paper Piecing started early spring of 2012. Some finished it within 6 months, others are still working on it.

I do have a question about official starting date of the Loyal Union Soldier.  Is there one? Are we just starting from the front of the book? Or do we each just work on blocks in whatever order we wish and post as we complete each one? Harry Potter started out with assigned blocks; that went down the tube in a hurry as some scurried ahead, or went off the chosen path! LOL. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,585
Points 75,810
Karla replied on Sun, Sep 1 2013 3:57 PM

I believe the intention as of now is to assign 6 blocks every two weeks.  We are working on dividing the blocks up into easy, intermediate and advanced groupings, starting off with easy the first assignment, and then adding one or two intermediate into the mix (these include using templates and paper piecing) and then adding advanced blocks.  We don't want beginners (like me) to give up before they really get started.  Our plan right now is to officially start on October 1st to allow everyone time to receive the book and select fabrics.

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,782
Points 30,900
Roxana replied on Sun, Sep 1 2013 4:07 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:

As far as the length of the project, that's always been really loosey goosey.  

If we do six blocks every two weeks and add a little extra time for Thanksgiving and Christmas, we should be finished by the middle of July 2014. That's Nana's plan anyway. I think it's going to be fun.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 1 2013 7:32 PM

Judy

I don't remember if you did Sylvia's Bridal Sampler with us or not but this group will work a little like that one did.  There will be 6 blocks assigned every 2 weeks and threads will be opened for each assigned block.   If we find that people want to work faster as a whole than we will adjust the assignments accordingly.   Usually everyone is working on other projects at the same time and find that 6 blocks is all they want to do.   As Roxana said the first assignment will be easy basic blocks and then we will start working in template and paper piecing blocks as well as some of the more difficult blocks with some easy ones.   I have found that this works best in a group with mixed skill levels.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,344
Points 28,400

I stumbled across this new quilt last night.  I had well over 1000 emails waiting for me, mostly from QCA, and decided to clean out my inbox keeping just oldest and newest of each discussion so that I can go back and read what I have missed.  After finishing the College quilts, I had a Fibromyalgia flare-up which is just easing (a long one!) so didn't even have the energy to battle my internet and read all I had missed. 

Now I need another "on-the-road-again" project, and this quilt will be perfect.  I do all these types of quilts by hand, so they are portable.  I am sure I have a good collection of suitable fabrics and will use my new supply of muslin for the background.  I ordered my book last night including the tote to keep the project in and ready to go whenever I am needed in the truck.  I get stir-crazy when I am not doing something with my hands.  The Kindle helps keep my mind working, but the hands need work also.  I am anxious for the book to get here so I can dig in the stash for fabrics.

Nana, thanks again for another challenging project.  I need to finish the Farmer's Wife and Sylvia's Bridal quilts, but they are not at the easily portable stage now.  They are now UFO's that NEED finishing!, but something new is always welcome.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 567
Points 10,075
Tami Paul replied on Tue, Sep 3 2013 11:14 AM

not sure if I am going to do this or not. I want to. Thinking my lil sis turns 50 in late July. Just not sure what colors or fabrics to use. I have been using civil war reprod. in the sugarblock club. So I need to think about this. Guess we might see what friday brings with the MQ9 . I did get the top finally done on MQ8, and I plan to drag it out to the only house with enough floor space to lay it out, also going to drag the one from scrap happy. I think the June one ( 9 patches). I had put it in the UFO pile because it was a Christmas one and didnt make last year before Christmas.  Okay off MQ8 site and then off to work

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Tue, Sep 3 2013 5:10 PM

Got my fabrics today. I guess that means I'm really in. LOL.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 1,020

I would love some recommendations of where I can buy my 7 yds of background fabric for a decent price - think budget but quilt quality fabric.

Thanks so much,

Karla in CO

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Tue, Sep 3 2013 5:56 PM

Karla, a muslin or a Kona cotton would work. They're lower cost. There might still be some labour day sales going on as well.

I'm using different fabrics from my stash.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Tue, Sep 3 2013 5:57 PM

Oh and Connecting Threads' fabrics might work too.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,334
Points 20,045

Thanks for the information, Karla.  It's good for me to have a deadline for the fabrics, or I'll never get them.  :)

Raleigh, NC

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,579
Points 118,650

Quilthappy7:

I would love some recommendations of where I can buy my 7 yds of background fabric for a decent price - think budget but quilt quality fabric.

Karla, most quilt shops have discount sections where they have good quality fabric for 50% off or more. That's how I get some of my fabric but I'm fortunate that I have 6 quilt shops nearby.

Eleanor Burns website, quilt in a day, has a discount section also and you can get some great deals there.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,579
Points 118,650

For this project, I'm going scrappy for the background. I have lots of background tone on tone in my CW or similar stash so I should be fine.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 1,020

Judy T-Bellingham:

For this project, I'm going scrappy for the background. I have lots of background tone on tone in my CW or similar stash so I should be fine.

Thanks for sharing your plans, Judy.  I was actually thinking of doing a tone on tone, but all my CW background fabs are shirtings so they have two colors to them.  I'm not sure I've even seen just a tot CW background fabric.  Where do you find them?  Can you tell I'm a relative newbie to CW fabs? :-)

Karla in CO

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 1,020

Thank you Judy and others for your ideas on where I might look for background fabs. :-)

Much appreciated.

Karla in CO

• Post Points: 35
Page 11 of 49 (731 items) «Prev910111213Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use