General Discussion

rated by 0 users
This post has 748 Replies | 35 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,856
Points 68,555
Bonita replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 12:08 PM

I just got an e-mail from Old Country Store Fabrics. They have CW fabrics on sale for 6.08 a yard and lots more for around 8-9 $ a yard. I found some greens that are lacking in my CW stash.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 12:58 PM

I just got back from fabric shopping....woohoo....so much fun.   I purchased 2 creams and 22 of assorted colors.   Now I am really anxious to start this project.   Also took my book to Office Max and had the spine cut and a spiral binder put on it and it was only about $5.   Much easier to work with the patterns now.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 1:35 PM

Bev :

Yeah, Frances is back! How was your holiday?

Thanks Bev,

Holiday was great but oh so glad to be home.

lots of love

Francesxx

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Sat, Aug 31 2013 1:44 PM

Okay, Ive just been told that my book is expected Sept 12th - 15th which is at least better than December which is what i was told before.

Nana,

Do we get to see Pics of your fabrics.

lots of love

Francesxx

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Sat, Aug 31 2013 7:35 PM

Frances

I will post pics of my fabric but today I was really busy working on the MQ since DH went to a college football game.   I don't frequently get a full Saturday to work on my sewing...LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,903
Points 33,075
Roxana replied on Sat, Aug 31 2013 8:15 PM

Nana:

I will post pics of my fabric but today I was really busy working on the MQ since DH went to a college football game.   I don't frequently get a full Saturday to work on my sewing...LOL>

Isn't college football awesome? My DH is so happy that it's back. Between it and golf (and my being happy sewing), he's a happy camper! .... Nana, glad you got a full Saturday for yourself!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 1,020

What a great idea, Judy!!  I just joined this group and am reading fast and furiously to catch up with everyone's posts so far.  I also just ordered my book, tote and novel set.  Have been excited about this for a long time, so am glad I noticed this group was here so I can play along. :-)

Karla in CO

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Sun, Sep 1 2013 11:42 AM

Frances:

Okay, Ive just been told that my book is expected Sept 12th - 15th which is at least better than December which is what i was told before.

Hey Frances, I don't know why but I thought you had already received your book. It is a good thing they don't plan to start until October. It is amazing how many have joined this group today!  Wasn't it you that asked the question if anyone was interested in doing this? I think you got an astounding yes! 

from TN

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 1,020

Hi Everyone,

I just joined this group, have been drooling over the amazon page for this book for months and decided to take the plunge when I saw this group this morning.  Just ordered my book and hope to be able to pick fabs from my stash which I have been collecting for a while now.

A couple of questions for anyone in the know, are all of the blocks paper pieced or can they be done in the traditional manner?  Does Jennifer give ample instructions for us first time paper piecers?

Best finish quilting a project I am working on currently as I too, get distracted quite easily.  LOL

Karla in CO

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 815
Points 16,250
Sue replied on Sun, Sep 1 2013 12:10 PM

Hi Karla,

Welcome to the group!

Not all the blocks are paper pieced, and there are some applique ones too.  As for learning to paper piece (pp), check out the Carol Doak Yahoo group, she is known as the queen of Paper Piecing.  There is a very easy learning to pp block on her group site.  A lot of people use her method however, some develop their own after a few tries.

Glad you are going to do this with us.  Just remember, we were all beginners at one time, ask questions, someone has an answer! LOL

In the Piney Woods of East Texas

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,903
Points 33,075
Roxana replied on Sun, Sep 1 2013 1:19 PM

Quilthappy7:

A couple of questions for anyone in the know, are all of the blocks paper pieced or can they be done in the traditional manner?  Does Jennifer give ample instructions for us first time paper piecers?

Jennifer does give instructions but as suggested the YouTube videos by Carol Doak are immensely helpful. There are a wide variety of types of blocks in the book and they'll be mixed up as they are assigned. Also, additional instructions, if possible, will be posted with the assignments. It's going to be lots of fun. We're so glad you decided to join the group. Everyone is so helpful!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Sun, Sep 1 2013 1:22 PM

Ah Bev,

An american book so i have to wait a little longer than you to get it, and yet it is amazing how many people have joined, its always great fun doing things as a group, plus you pick up hints and tips that you didnt know before.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 10,645

Hi, so I joined the group today, have read all the post. Looked at the book on Amazon. So couple of things. Is the fabric amount that is shown in the sample of the book for the one the group is going to work on? Also, what is going to be the speed of this group?

Also, had to laugh about the lost blocks earlier in the thread. I had made some bear claws to add to the border of MQ8, then I had hurt my arm, nothing major, but enough to have to take a break from quilting.. So, I finally got back to going on the quilt... I am looking around going I know I had more blocks then this done. I would work on some more blocks, then scratch my head and look around for those missing blocks. A couple of days later I found them. I had actually already put them on the quilt top. So missing blocks were found, and I felt a little bit dumber lol

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 1,020

Thanks so much for the warm welcome, Sue.  Guess I better go check out Carol's videos and whatever else I can find.  After watching a few quilter's pp methods in the past, I can see that it's important to adopt the method that works best for me.  I will definitely be asking questions. :-)

Karla in CO

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 1,020

Roxana:

Quilthappy7:

Jennifer does give instructions but as suggested the YouTube videos by Carol Doak are immensely helpful. There are a wide variety of types of blocks in the book and they'll be mixed up as they are assigned. Also, additional instructions, if possible, will be posted with the assignments. It's going to be lots of fun. We're so glad you decided to join the group. Everyone is so helpful!

Oh goodie!  Looking forward to working on this sampler and learning some new techniques.  Sure is nice to know that help is abundant. ;-)

Karla in CO

Page 10 of 50 (749 items) «Prev89101112Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use