Nosegay Quilt Hand Piecing Tutorial

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. Posted: Mon, May 7 2012 8:24 PM

Here is a tutorial for one method of hand piecing a quilt.  I am using a pattern from comequiltwithme.com called "Nosegay".  The pattern has laser cut templates with 1/4" seam allowance an slots for marking the seam line.

This is the fabric cut for one block.  The seam allowance is marked on the right side of the fabric.

Join me Wednesday as I start to piece the block.

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Wed, May 9 2012 4:34 PM

I have grouped the pieces ready to sew.  I am waiting for some thread to arrive-it shouldn't be long.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,010
Frances replied on Wed, May 9 2012 11:09 PM

Pat,

If its okay with you i will join you on this one, as ive never done hand piecing, just trying to get hold of this template i like it ive never seen this one before.

lots of love

Francesxx

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Thu, May 10 2012 5:03 PM

That would be great, Frances.  I got my template at comequiltwithme.com 

Pat Yasmin's site is fantastic.  I saw her on "The Quilt Show" .  I have generally stayed away from buying templates because it seemed like alot of money for something that only does one thing.  But after watching Pat, I was sold on them.  I bought 3--"Nosegay", "Snowball" and "Envelope".  I was very moved by her story of how Sept.11, 2001 touched her life.  She lives in Brooklyn, NY and I grew up in NJ so I felt a "connection". 

I will be piecing using a method that I use for applique (I think most people use a running stitch instead).  What I will do is show how I am putting mine together and also recut a section of the block and show you how to do a running stitch.  That way you can find out what works for you.  I do both but have reasons why I am doing the applique method (I'll explain that later).

If you want to "work along" with me right away, you could cut blocks for a 9-patch.  I would cut each block 4 1/2".  Let me know if this is what you are doing so I can give you directions as we go along.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,010
Frances replied on Sat, May 12 2012 11:15 AM

Thanks Pat,

I did look at the site where you got your template from, since it wasnt going to be a straight forward put in the basket and buy (she wants you to email her if its international) i have brought a book from Amazon thats 101 blocks one of which is Nosegay - that seems to be an unusual pattern i will cut out templates from template plastic hopefully that will work.

So should be with you by next weekend.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Sat, May 12 2012 1:12 PM

Frances--

Let me know when you are ready to go.  Please post a pic of the pattern you are using and I'd love to see your fabric.  When you cut out your pieces, you will need to mark the sewing line (1/4" from the cut edge) on the right side of the fabric if you are going to try the applique method or on the wrong side if you are going to use the running stitch. You can do this either by cutting your templates without the seam allowance, marking your fabric and then cutting out 1/4" from your marked lines  or cut templates with the seam allowance included, cut pieces out and then go back and mark the sewing lines.  For the applique method, it isn't real important that the seam allowance be 100% accurate beause you will be looking at the stitching line only.  With the running stitch, it is very helpful to have accurate seam allowances because you can match up the cut edges and the stitching lines shoud match exactly.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, May 17 2012 6:26 AM

Pat

This is a very pretty pattern and I love the colors that you are using.  I have some of the "basketweave" fabric somewhere....LOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Thu, May 17 2012 4:15 PM

Thanks, Nana.  I really like the templates at comequiltwithme.com

I was going to take my time with this pattern and work on it "whenever" but I like it so much I've moved the project up to near the top of my list!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,010
Frances replied on Sun, Jun 10 2012 5:42 AM

Hi Pat,

Sorry its taken so long, work got in the way and then i seem to have a patchwork gremlin who steals my template plastic so i had to send for some more.

Anyway template i have is one i downloaded from Mccalls patchwork and quilting magazine website its slightly different but not by much, underneath is a photo of the fabrics im using.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Mon, Jun 11 2012 8:29 AM

Hi, Frances--

Good to hear from you again (I know what you mean about being busy!).  I the next day or two I'll post pics and get us going.  If you look back at the pic I posted about grouping the pieces you'll see where I'm headed with the piecing.  But I must say that hand piecing is much like doing a jigsaw puzzle--most of the time it really doesn't matter where you start because you never stitch into the seam allowance so (as you will find out) you don't get "stuck" in odd places like you might if you machine piece.  You need to think of the two pieces you're working on as one being the "background" piece and the other as your "applique"  in the first method I'll show you. 

Until later--

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Mon, Jun 11 2012 8:38 AM

Frances--

Oh, I forgot--will all your diamond shapes be the same color?  They will become the "flowers" in the "basket" so you might want some contrast unless you want all your "flowers" to be the same.  Either way you go, it will be great fun to see your block come together.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,010
Frances replied on Mon, Jun 11 2012 12:04 PM

Hi Pat,

On this one all my diamonds will be the same colour, but for the next block i will change them around and see what different blocks i can come up with, its good for me as im crap with colours, it gives me chance to experiment.

ps thanks for all your patience when im not as quick posting as i should be.

lots of love

Francesxx 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Mon, Jun 11 2012 8:04 PM

Frances--

I like your spirit of adventure--it's fantastic to have great scraps to add to the excitement.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Thu, Jun 14 2012 9:56 PM

Frances--

I don't have much time now, but I did want to get things started and then in a day or two get further along. 

First, a little about needles and thread.  Use a needle that you are comfortable with--it could be a sharp (most often used for hand sewing), or a between (hand quilting needle).  I sometimes use a 10 or 11 between, but this time I am using an 11 straw needle.  The important thing is not to use a really big, fat needle--it won't glide through the fabric well.  Thread--I have used a fine thread (Superior  Threads "Masterpiece" which is a 50wt. cotton), but for this project I decided to try Aurifil 28 wt. cotton.  Jinny Beyer is a well-known quilter and she had a special on this thread which she uses, so.....As far as thread color--it depends on what you are sewing together.  In the set I bought from Jinny Beyer, there's black, burgundy, navy, medium brown and light tan.  In the above picture is the medium brown and the light tan.  I will use the light tan for sewing off-white to off-white pieces and everything else will be sewn using the medium brown (even sewing off-wite to a darker color piece).  The whole idea about thread color is to use thread that is the color (or close to it) of the darker piece.  An example would be when sewing a yellow piece to a navy piece, navy thread would be used.  Medium brown is kind of the "go-to" neutral color most of the time.  A lighter thread is more likely to show than the darker.

You'll notice that I have needles threaded onto my spool of thread.  I find it easier to put several needles on right away and then slide all but one away from the cut end, cut my thread with just the one needle on it and then I have the rest of them ready to go.  When I run out of thread, I put the empty needle on my needle threader and when all the needles are on the threader, I put them all back onto the spool.  It seems to save me time rather than trying to thread a needle each time I need one.

I've separated my pieces into the shapes that I will start with.

I need to get going and work on a charity quilt now, but I will continue on Friday with actually stitching the above pieces together.

Until then--

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,010
Frances replied on Fri, Jun 15 2012 12:42 AM

Pat,

Thank you very much for this, could i just ask what marking thing do you use for marking the fabric, i used a couple of different things neither seemed to work really well, so i wondered what you used.

Many thanks for all your help with this.

lots of love

Francesxx

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use