Quilting Spoon

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 90
melisag Posted: Thu, Apr 12 2012 10:53 AM

Have any of you ever tried TJ's Quilting Spoon?  I was told by a local quilt shop owner to try wrapping my thumbs with electrical tape to prevent sore fingers.  I was just wondering how difficult it is to learn to use the spoon.  

Melisa 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,251
Points 172,988
Marie replied on Thu, Apr 12 2012 11:39 AM

Melisa, do tell what is a Quilting Spoon?

Millbury, MA

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 90
melisag replied on Thu, Apr 12 2012 12:02 PM

Just found it online. Go to: www.tjsquickquilter.comI wanted to find out if anyone had used it before and how difficult it is to use in reality and not from the company website.  It has gotten me curious.

Melisa

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,705
Points 436,480
Nana replied on Thu, Apr 12 2012 12:09 PM

Melisa

I have looked at these as well as the Aunt Becky several times but haven't tried either one.  I don't know how much luck I would have with them as I don't use a frame or hoop when I do my hand quilting.   I hope that someone else has more info.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Thu, Apr 12 2012 1:06 PM

Melisa-

I have a Quilting Spoon and Aunt Becky--haven't had a chance to use either one yet (but just had to have them).  I really need to get working on that!

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,404
Points 361,172
Kris replied on Thu, Apr 12 2012 2:20 PM

Nana:
I have looked at these as well as the Aunt Becky several times but haven't tried either one.  I don't know how much luck I would have with them as I don't use a frame or hoop when I do my hand quilting.

Nana,

I used the Aunt Becky without a hoop. It actually works well. The only problem I had was my hand cramped up from holding it in place ( this happens to me a lot though). You push it up under the area you're quilting the needle goes right over it and comes back to the top. You move it along as you sew.

The spoon works the same way but I've never used it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,251
Points 172,988
Marie replied on Thu, Apr 12 2012 3:19 PM

melisag:
Just found it online. Go to: www.tjsquickquilter.com

Thanks Melisa, just went to the site.  It works sort of like "aunt" something or other that Kris talked about awhile back.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,251
Points 172,988
Marie replied on Thu, Apr 12 2012 3:21 PM

Should've read further, "Aunt Becky" it is!

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 90
melisag replied on Thu, Apr 12 2012 3:46 PM

Thanks for all the info.  I'll google Aunt Becky and check it out also.  I may try one or the other.  I hate sore fingers.

Melisa

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,375
Georgia replied on Fri, Apr 13 2012 8:33 PM

Hey All -- Just want to let everyone know about the TJ's Quick Quilter quilting spoon.  I had actually given up on hand quilting until I found this quilting spoon method.  I had taken several classes and even had a couple of people give me one on one time to help me out and nothing clicked until I found this little spoon.  It is the best money I ever spent!!!!  I purchased the spoon and the dvd.  This video is never going to win any emmy awards but I wouldn't give it up for anything.  I am a total TJ's quilter all the way.  I did everything just like the video told me and I mastered it in no time!!!  The video starts out with a floor hoop but I now use a grace lap hoop and I love that as well.  I'm not sure that I would have actually learned to use the spoon without the dvd so you may want to consider this an essential part of the purchase.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,375
Georgia replied on Fri, Apr 13 2012 8:39 PM

Oh -- just so you know-- the reason I chose the TJs quick quilter is because my grandmother always used an actual spoon when she quilted.  I figured since she used a spoon then I may have more success with one.  I am so glad that I purchased this tool because I was really at the point of just giving up on hand quilting all together. Now I'm a pretty good hand quilter -- even if I do say so myself!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Sun, Apr 15 2012 2:34 PM

Georgia--

Does the DVD have more info than what's online?  I'd hate to spend the money on a DVD when the same info is availabe for free.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,375
Georgia replied on Sun, Apr 15 2012 9:46 PM

Pat -- it's been awhile since I've checked out the website so I'm not sure what's online.  I'll check it out and get back to you.  I bought my spoon and video before all this streaming video was so accessible. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,375
Georgia replied on Sun, Apr 15 2012 9:58 PM

Hey Pat... Just checked out the website.  There is a video link there where Gayle Ropp does a quick demo of the quilting spoon.  This gives you a good idea of how the tool works but the video covers everything in very good detail.  I think the video is a little over an hour long and it helped me immensely.  Like I said... it will never win any video production awards and it can be pretty dry, but the technique is covered very well.  I still think it was worth every cent I paid for it.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Mon, Apr 16 2012 7:48 AM

Thanks, Georgia.  Looks like I need to order the DVD.  It's been a long time since I've hand quilted so I might as well learn how to use my quilting spoon as I sharpen up my skills. I have several church groups that want me to quilt with them, but I need to get back into the swing of things before then--don't want them to rip out my stitches after I leave!

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use