Thread choice

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. Posted: Mon, Feb 27 2012 3:14 PM

Here we go (now whenever I hear that I think of the Super Bowl beer ad with the dog named We Go)--I was just reading about someone who has used "unusual" thread for hand quilting--Monopoly and metallic.  Anyone tried these?  I sent Superior Threads an email to get their take on thread other than cotton for hand quilting.  Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 6:57 PM

Here is the email I sent to Superior Threads and the reply--

Dear Pat,

Absolutely.  Usually, hand quilting applies more strain to threads than through a machine, so a waxed thread is used when hand quilting. (We do have a cotton hand quilting thread called Treasure.)
Just be careful not to tug on the thread hard enough to snap it when creating your stitch.

Thank you for using our (great poly) threads,

Todd Purcell
Superior Threads
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Mon, Mar 5 2012 10:25 AM

Pat

I have never tried monopoly or metalic for hand quilting.  I have used metallic for embellishment and found it to be very hard to sew with.  I really don't think I would want to attempt to quilt with it.   I have been using the Aurifil 50 wt.  for my hand quilting and am having really good luck with it.   I also have some Aurifil 28 wt. that I plan on trying on a future project.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 8:45 AM

Nana--

Just getting around to emails--

I like to machine quilt with the new poly threads, so I might just try it out since I have it.  Will report on my findings.

Pat-"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 1,000
LindaE replied on Fri, Apr 20 2012 7:48 AM

The group that I quilt with has tried some interesting varigated thread that wasn't specifically hand quilting thread.  

Some of them were maddening--it knotted onto itself badly, and the knot was impossible to remove. The worst of it was the shredding at the needle's eye in particular, and the length of thread in general. 

We had to use shorter lengths than usual, and beeswax was essential. At least, the knotting was less common, and it shredded less, but it was still miserable.

Our quilts are done as quickly as we can get them done, because they are timed to go into charity auctions. The thread slowed us down a lot. Women who don't usually complain and gripe were doing so quite vocally.

The latest quilt in the frame has a nice, sensible Aurofil for its thread. 

Linda in Amish Country, Ohio

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Fri, Apr 20 2012 8:24 AM

Linda--

Was the thread that gave you so much trouble a rayon by any chance?

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 1,000
LindaE replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 7:49 AM

I don't remember what it was. It was on a white styrofoam looking spool, and the label may have fallen off, because I don't remember reading it. I would have, because I would like to have known what it was so I never bought any of it for myself.

It did look nice on the quilt, but the shredding was awful. I was worried that it would wear badly in the quilt.

Linda in Amish Country, Ohio

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use