Finished the first block :)

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 293
Points 4,535
Mary789 Posted: Fri, May 24 2013 4:40 PM

I am now on the 2nd block!  It was slow progress at first, but I am picking up speed.  It is still going to take a while.  When I work on hand quilting, it is usually for an hour or an hour and a half if I am lucky.  This is ok with me, because I am also machine quilting MQ6 on my machine.  If I get tired of working on one, I move to the other quilt so that it stays fun.  Question:  How often should I quilt with a new needle?  I know on the machine, they say 8 hrs, what is it for a hand quilting needle?

• Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Sat, May 25 2013 11:22 AM

I use a size 10 between sharp.  they are short and thin and usually snap several during a quilt.  I can stack 4 stitches before I have to pull it in.  But if you are lucky enough not to snap the needle, I would change it at least half way through a full size quilt or larger.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,953
Points 368,332
Kris replied on Thu, May 30 2013 11:43 PM

Mary,

your work looks great.

I'm not sure there are any hard and fast rules for changing needles but I change mine when I start to get resistance while sewing. The coating on the needle wears off and creates drag. Different brands wear differently. I suppose batting and fabric play a role in how often needles need to be changed.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 315
Karen replied on Tue, Feb 25 2014 3:55 PM

Mary,

I know you asked this question way back in May, however, I came across two products lately that may help.  I went to the Houston Show last fall  for the first time and found two different needles--Regal Needles/Betweens size 12 and Colonial Big Eye Quilting needles size 11.  I used both on a king size quilt doing intricate designs and neither broke or bent.  This was over a three month period (I was in the latter quarter of hand quilting the quilt when I brought the needles).  I have been using the size 12 more recently and it is still going strong--staying sharp and not bending or breaking. True, they do not take as many stitches as the larger needles, however, I get at least six stitches on the needle prior to pulling it through.   I don't know if the size or maker has anything to do with it, but I would buy them again in a heartbeat if and when I run out (I have a tendency to lose them while sewing).

• Filed under: |
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use