Started the hand quilting!

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 293
Points 4,535
Mary789 Posted: Sun, May 5 2013 9:18 PM

Hello hand quilters!  I am excited because I just made the first quilting stitches on a lap size quilt.  Not all my stitches are perfect, but that is ok with me.  I still like the way they look!  I imagine I will get better stitches as I progress.  I used a layer cake American Banner Rose as well as some fabrics from my stash.  I am using glace cotton thread and a quilting size needle.  Also, I find using the Aunt Becky's Finger protector for my bottom hand is helping.  It was fun going shopping for these gadgets at the local machine dealer which is really well stocked on supplies.  Here are a couple of pictures :-)

• Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 940

Mary, great quilt!  I hope you find hand quilting as enjoyable as I do.  Don't worry about the size of your stitches, just strive for even, consistent stitches.  Small stitches will come with practice.  I, too, use Aunt Becky's finger when quilting in a hoop, but am going to use T.J.'s Spoon Quilter on my next hoop project.  I think I can add 1-2 stitches with it.  However, when i quilt on my frame, I find my finger underneath works better because I'm quilting in different directions.  My last piece of advice is don't quilt for long periods of time.  I have been quilting 10+ hours a day most days the past couple weeks trying to finish a quilt I've been working on for 2-1/2 years. (I'm ready to start another project.)  I'm paying for it today.  I have damaged something in my right arm and can't raise it very high.  Going to have to give it a rest for a few days.  Really upsets me because I have two borders left to quilt and I really want it finished by July.  Oh well ....  The bright side of this is that my husband has to unload the dishwasher because I can't raise my arm.  I may play this up for a while.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,728
Points 364,677
Kris replied on Mon, May 6 2013 1:25 AM

Mary789:
Hello hand quilters!  I am excited because I just made the first quilting stitches on a lap size quilt.

WTG Mary. I like your quilt. I have used (and like) Aunt Becky and wold definitely use it again (if I can find it).

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 665
Points 12,705

Just watched her video on the Aunt Betty's helper. She quilts beautifully and has some wonderful techniques. Looks like she used to teach quilting classes but she and husband are retired now?  

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Thu, May 9 2013 10:18 AM

I too have hand quilted 10-12 hours per day!  I have problems with my right wrist from a tumor removal.  And yes...I am right handed.  I have to keep a light brace on my wrist.  But try a heating pad on your shoulder while you work.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use