That PERFECT STITCH

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 169
Points 2,200
Flo Posted: Fri, Mar 22 2013 12:15 PM

I just received a copy of "That Perfect Stitch" by Diedra McElroy.  Being a self taught quilter I didn't know just how much I was doing wrong!  I am working with it now on scraps and hopefully soon my stitches will be even!

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,839
Points 352,757
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 11:52 PM

Flo,

I hope you share some of your samples with us. I've added the book to my wish list.

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 169
Points 2,200
Flo replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 12:27 PM

I plan to share my progress.  After a few days pf practice my stitches are starting to even out.  When my husband was on Amazon looking for reloading books I just added it to the cart!   

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,019
Points 12,865

Flo, sneaky. Hahaha

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,299
Points 45,925
Angele replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 7:26 AM

Flo, I'm curious, who wrote The Perfect Stitch?

Angèle  from NWO

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,839
Points 352,757
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 9:16 AM

Angele,

Flo mentioned it in her post. Diedra somebody.

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 940

Roxanne McElroy wrote "That Perfect Stitch."  However, she died just a few months before it was published.  Her daughter Diedre McElroy finished the book and has been carrying on her mother's work.  This is the book from which I learned to hand quilt.  Diedre has published a DVD.  It's basically the same as the book with some updated info on tools.  The benefit here is that you can see her doing the stitch.  Check out Roxanne's thimbles.  They are great!  Colonial Needle Company now carries full line of Roxanne products.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,839
Points 352,757
Kris replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 11:21 PM

Actually Dierdra wrote both books. She used her mother's name for the first one then her own name on the revised version.

I like "Roxanne" needles and basting glue but haven't tried their thimbles. I'll check to see if they have extra small ones. I have small fingers and even small thimbles are too big. I use jelly thimbles. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,839
Points 352,757
Kris replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 11:40 PM

Jane,

I was just reading about their thimbles. With such a high level of precision I just might get a thimble that fits. They're pricy but should be worth it. Thanks for mentioning them.

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 940

Kris, I think you will like Roxanne's thimbles.  They have deep dimples and you can control the needle very well.  I don't care for her needles -- they tend to bend or break for me.  I prefer Clover's Gold Eye needles.  But her white and silver marking pencils are my marking tools of choice.  For what it's worth,  I was correct in my earlier statement -- Roxanne wrote the first edition of "That Perfect Stitch" but died six months before publication and Diedre wrote in the introduction that she finished it as her mother would have had she lived.  I own the first edition of the book as well as Diedre's DVD. 

I have always used Aunt Becky's finger underneath because my finger would just be mincemeat -- I could never get that callus.  I bought a T.J.Spoon Quilter recently and while I haven't mastered it yet, I believe it's going to allow me to get smaller and more even stitches.  We'll see.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,839
Points 352,757
Kris replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 11:37 PM

Jane,

I have an "Aunt Becky" but only used it a handful of times. I now use a thimble on my bottom hand. I thought of getting the spoon but haven't met anyone who uses it. It's so hard to go by online reviews.

Jane Seybold:
Roxanne wrote the first edition of "That Perfect Stitch" but died six months before publication and Diedre wrote in the introduction that she finished it as her mother would have had she lived.

It's strange, then, that Dierdra's website says she wrote both books. I have the second one (got it today) but haven't had time to look through it.

Jane Seybold:
But her white and silver marking pencils are my marking tools of choice. 

I don't think I've seen those. My shopping list is growing. LOL Thanks Jane.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 169
Points 2,200
Flo replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 12:38 PM

Sorry I have been off line for a few days.with family issues.  The copy I have is by Roxanne McElroy.  She passed away as it went to publication but the latest updated version is by a family member named Diedra McElroy.  If you go to amazon.com both versions are available.  I am starting an Irish triple chain quilt and can't wait to use my new knowledge to quilt it.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 280
Points 5,325
tnmtgrl replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 6:38 AM

I have the second edition also and it is very good, a lot of good info inside and I agree with you Jane, her white and silver pencils are great marking tools.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 169
Points 2,200
Flo replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 4:12 PM

A quilter does what ever necessary to feed the habit!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 169
Points 2,200
Flo replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 4:13 PM

I just placed my practice piece next to an older quilt, and boy what a difference!

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use