Baptist Fans

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 940
Jane Seybold Posted: Thu, Mar 7 2013 9:14 PM

When hand quilting baptist fans do you quilt the arcs in one direction or can you go back and forth.  For example, start on the bottom arc from the right and quilt to the left, travel needle to next arc and quilt to the right, etc.  Or, as in line quilting, do you have to quilt each line/arc in the same direction?

Jane

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,880
Points 366,982
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 12:29 AM

Jane,

I would go back and forth from one arc to the next. I don't think there is a rule to how they're done. Do what's comfortable and most convenient for you.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 12:28 PM

I would also go back and forth from one arc to the next.  Just make sure you baste quilt well before you start.  I don"t think it matters whether you pin baste or stitch it.  Also quilt baste spray is wonderful!l 

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 940

Thanks for your advice.  I do baste well -- usually a 3 inch grid with thread.   I've never used baste spray.   Since I have COPD and have difficulty with fumes and fragrances thought it best to stay away from that.  However, it does sound easier. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 462
Points 9,290
tnmtgrl replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 12:03 PM

If you have difficulty with fumes you might not want to try baste spray...my husband is a severe asthmatic and he can't stand to even be in the house if I use the baste spray...I have to air out the house before he can come back in. It is very strong.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use