Whole Cloth Quilt Tips

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40
Deb Bosworth Posted: Tue, Sep 25 2012 1:11 PM

Hello Everyone, I am new to this group and I need your help. In the past I have only hand quilted one small item and really loved it. I have gone insane and bought a whole cloth quilt. I have already made my sandwich and I am in the process of hand basting the layers togeather. It was already recommended to me to make these large stitches about one inch apart. I started in the center and I am working my way to the edges.

Do you have any tips for the quilting process. I have a floor stand with a 20" hoop. I have heard that tiger tape will help me to keep my stitches consistent until I get a good rhythm going. Is this true?

I would appreciate any feedback on the whole process.

Thanks

Deb Bosworth

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 3:02 AM

Deb,

You're doing things the way I would do it.

I think the tiger tape will help. I've used it a few times myself. I like the look of big stitches done with a heavier thread.

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 8:35 AM

Deb--

I sometimes "warm up" on a separate quilt "sandwich" to get my stitches going.  Don't stress out about your stitches.  You can take out ones if you feel they are way too long, but if my stitches are a bit off, I will leave them in (if I'm not working on a show quilt).  To me, my quilting is telling the story of how my day is going--sometimes really great, sometimes a bit uneven.  Relax and enjoy the process.  However you decide to execute your stitches, make it a relaxing time for yourself. 

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use