rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. Posted: Sat, Jun 30 2012 12:45 PM

Sheri--

youtube.com has many videos--type in hand quilting for beginners and just start watching.  We all have our favorite way of quilting, so I'd watch as many videos as possible and try everything.  You will find out that it does take practice, practice, practice and there are no shortcuts (sad to say).  Just keep trying and don't be too hard on yourself.  Some people are "Rockers" (rock the needle--I'm one of them) and some are what I call "Runners" (the needle is held more like you woud in hand sewing).  Some use the "stab" method (needle down all the way through, turned around with other hand and sent back up thorugh quilt).

As far as books, Alex Anderson has a book called "Hand Quilting"--very good pics--right handed or left.  Of course "THE" book for hand work on quilts (in my humble opinion) is "Quiltmaking by Hand" by Jinny Beyer.

Keep in touch and let us know how you are coming along and how we can help.

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 127
Points 2,250
Sherry replied on Sat, Jun 30 2012 4:20 PM

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE EVERYONE. ALL OF YOUR HELP MAY TEACH ME HOW TO USE THE WEB-SITE AND HAND QUILT AT THE SAME TIME. BLESS YOU ALL.

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Sat, Jun 30 2012 5:30 PM

You're welcome, Sheri.  We all had to learn at some point, so don't hesitate to ask for help.  We're glad you're here.

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use