rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Fri, Jun 15 2012 8:26 AM

Hey, Frances--

For this project I used mechanical pencils.  On the light fabric I made the thin line just dark enough for me to see and I made a darker line on the darker fabric.  If you mark a light piece and fold it along the marked line so that you can't see the line on the right side at all, look at it to see if you can see any marks showing through to the right side.  I did test the pencil marks and mine washed out.  If you applique, you should be able to use the same marking tool because this first method really is an applique technique.  Let me know if you have found something that works--if you still haven't found something you like I'll get out some of my other markers and let you know some other suggestions.

I'll be posting more later today.

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Fri, Jun 29 2012 5:11 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back to this--I have been very busy getting quilts ready for a charity auction.

Well, here goes--

Usually I would use a lighter color thread, but the brown shows up better (and as you will see in later pics it doesn’t really show once the piecing is done).

You will be stitching along the seam line and never sewing into the seam allowance.

Think of one piece as the “background” (the piece that is at the top of the pic) and the other piece as the “appliqué”.  Knot your thread using your favorite way.  Come up at the corner of the seam line on the appliqué; down at the corner of the background piece and up a short distance away from the corner on the seam line of the appliqué.

Use the tip of your needle to roll under the seam allowance but make sure you can always see both seam lines.

Take a small stitch in the seam line of the appliqué piece (make sure you are always stitching through a single layer of fabric).

Keep rolling the seam allowance under and stitching several stitches.

Gently pull the thread and smooth out the seam you just stitched.

Continue stitching, pulling up the thread, smoothing out seam—remember that you have to be able to see the seam line ahead of where you are stitching; so when you “snug” up your thread leave a stitch or two still loose so that the seam line is visible.  Stitch to the corner, bring thread to back of work and knot off.

Even though I used dark thread on light fabric, you would never know it once I finished stitching!  

Sometimes you can add another piece without ending your thread.  Stitch two pieces together as before.

To add the next piece, stitch at the corner of the next appliqué piece (light fabric), down into the corner of the background (green) and continue as above.

You would knot off at the end of this seam.

I need a few days to get all of my pieces stitched into groups and then I will show how the block goes together.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,819
Points 352,402
Kris replied on Fri, Jun 29 2012 6:16 PM

Pat,

thanks for such a great tutorial. Very thorough.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,473
Points 47,580
Frances replied on Mon, Jul 16 2012 1:42 PM

Hi Pat,

Ive done one block but its awful, think i know where ive gone wrong, tried to sew it all together instead of in mini blocks and then into a big block, so i shall start again this weekend, wanted to let you know so you didnt think i hadnt bothered. (wont post a photo of the one ive done its that bad).

lots of love

Francesxx

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Mon, Jul 16 2012 7:07 PM

Frances--

Sorry you had so much trouble.  One thing to remember is you don't stitch into the seam allowance--it is always free to move to either side or open (although the seam when finished should not be pressed open but still is "free" to do so).  I haven't been able to get back to my piecing, but will soon (I hope).  I do applaude your "stick-to-it" attitude.  Keep in touch.

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) Prev12
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use