How Do You Hand Piece?

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. Posted: Fri, Apr 6 2012 5:39 PM

I have 2 different methods I use to hand piece. 

The first is a running stitch.

The pic above is how it looks on the wrong side.  This is the side you stitch from.

The above pic is how the partial seam looks on the right side. 

The second method is an applique technique.

The above pic is the right side.  The stitching is done on this side.

The above pic is the partial seam on the wrong side.

Which do you use?  Is there one that you would like me to do a tutorial on?

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,838
Points 366,217
Kris replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 12:35 AM

I use the running stitch Pat. I learned the ladder stitch from Ami Simms but prefer the running stitch. I think it would be great if you did a tutorial on the appliqué stitch.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,829
gini replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 4:39 PM

i use the running stitch, too, for piecing.   i don't need to mark the 1/4 inch for hand piecing, so  it is a lot quicker for me to do a running stitch.  for applique i use the applique stitch  and the ladder stitch, depending on where i am.   i use the ladder stitch when doing the hand sewing on the binding.   ladder stitch stitches hide bette in applique and on the binding.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,292
Points 29,205
Agnes replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 7:09 PM

Running stitch for me with a back stitch about every 8 to 10 stitches when it comes to the piecing. Various other methods for other applications..

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 9:06 PM

Pat

I have always used the running stitch with a back stitch every so often.  I have used the ladder stitch for applique but never piecing.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 8:38 AM

Pat aI to use the running stitch for hand piecing ,I don't have to mark the 1/4 in lines anymore I just kinda know where they are. BArbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 580

I appreciate your posting pictures... that must be very helpful for newer hand-piecers and hand-quilters. I love to do both. When I piece by hand, I use the running stitch with occasional back stitches or lock stitches. My over-sized king apple core quilt, as one example, was done completely by hand, using this method and has stood up well under strenuous use by my family and my grands.

With practice, I, as do many others, bypass marking the quarter-inch seam. That comes with practice and becomes quite easy over time.

Susie

Susie from Indy

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Tue, Apr 10 2012 9:37 AM

Kris--The applique stitch is a combo of needle-turned applique and the ladder stitch (I guess you could call it a modified Ami Simms technique).  I will be starting a project next week and will be using the applique method.  I will post as I go along.  Hopefully there will be someone out there that has not tried the Ami Simms method or has never thougth of using a stitch other than a running stitch who could pick up a few tips as my project progresses.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Tue, Apr 10 2012 9:45 AM

Kris, Gini, Agnes, Nana, Barbara, and Susie--

Thanks for your input.  Looks like we have quite a group of "runners".  As I said in the post above, my next project will be using the applique method.  I will put out a new topic when I start so that anyone who is thinking about hand piecing or if one of the hand piecers out there has not tried this method and wants to see what it all about can follow my progress.

Hope you all have been thinking of topics we can discuss, etc.  Don't want this group to just fade away!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 1,000
LindaE replied on Fri, Apr 20 2012 8:11 AM

I'm in the same camp.

I used to use the ladder stitch for applique, but then I had a class with Anita Shakelford.* She uses more of a blind hem stitch. I tried it, and it lays nicer the way I sew. It's good to have more than one tool in the box. 

*I can't remember how to spell her name, I hope I got it right.

Linda in Amish Country, Ohio

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use