Problems with quilting seams.

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 92
Points 1,980
Kate Posted: Fri, Mar 23 2012 3:19 PM

I'm working on a quilt with thick seams that I want to avoid.  I've uploaded pictures here in the hope that someone may be able to suggest quilting patterns that will avoid these seams completely.  I was thinking of simple echo quilting, but wondered what else I might do.  Also, what colour thread?  I can't decide whether dark or light. k

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 90
Points 1,190
Bianca replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 3:52 PM

Where are the pictures?

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 92
Points 1,980
Kate replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 3:54 PM

I posted them in Media.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 90
Points 1,190
Bianca replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 4:03 PM

Your quilt is very beautiful. I can't think of any other way than echo quilting, in order to avoid the seams. Or you can quilt in the ditch, that will really make those stars pop out. In any case, enjoy working on it.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 5:56 PM

Kate--

It's been a busy day around here (lots of phone calls to husband, vet, back to husband, back to vet, etc.  Still not much luck getting Charlie's levels down.  He is home for tonight and back to the vet's Sat. for the day.  Then we'll see---

I saw the pics you posted.  That is going to be a fantastic quilt when finished.  I am going to sit down and draw out what I suggested; hopefully will be able to post tonight or Sat.

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 9:01 PM

Kate--

Here is what I would do to avoid crossing the seams.  The black lines are seam lines and the red lines are quilting lines (Please excuse the occaisional not-so-straight quilting lines--it's been a long day and I am really getting tired).  The Hourglass Star block would be quilted approx. 1/4" from each seam (I say approx. because if your seam allowance is off a bit, I would stitch slightly more than 1/4" to keep away from the seams--you'd have to determine that before you start quilting so that you can keep the same dstance.  The Modified Puss in the Corner block would be a mirror image of the Hourglass Star block even though there aren't seams in the rectangles and small squares.  Just pretend they are there.  Hope this makes sense.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 92
Points 1,980
Kate replied on Sat, Mar 24 2012 1:25 PM

Pat,

Thank you so much for spending your time doing this when I know you have so much on and you're tired.  I hope you've got some sleep and Charlie is feeling easier.  I love this idea, it's very simple and I love that it repeats everywhere, I wanted something simple that would repeat everywhere but wouldn't have thought of this, I will quilt it this way.  I'll be a while now getting the borders done, but come back to you if I may as I want to start quilting with the rocking technique and I've never done this before.  Good luck with sleep and poor Charlie, and thank you so much again, k.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 92
Points 1,980
Kate replied on Sat, Mar 24 2012 1:26 PM

Bianca, thanks for your reply, k.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Sat, Mar 24 2012 2:04 PM

Kate--

I enjoyed working on the design-glad you like it.  When you are ready to quilt, I am a "rocker" so I will be on the lookout for demonstrations, etc. to help you.

Charlie was up almost every hour neding to go out.  He is at the vet's again.  So far no luck in treating him.  There is one more thing that can be done (we will know later today if we need to do this).  If it doesn't work, we will just have to find out how we can give him the best life possible for the time he has left (which could be way too short).

Keep posting your progress--

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use