I am feeling a sense of accomplishment

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana Posted: Wed, Mar 7 2012 2:06 AM

I have completed hand quilting the body of Sylvia's Bridal Sampler quilt and am now starting on the borders.   I am really enjoying the process.   This was something that I never thought that I would do.   But I am loving the hand quilting,.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 90
Points 1,190
Bianca replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 6:15 PM

That is incredible!!! Congratulations!!!! I started to piece the SBS, but keep getting sidetracked because the pieces are just so small, and it seems a very daunting task.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 6:47 PM

Bianca

It can be very daunting.  It really helped to break it down into a 10 block assignment at a time.  That way it felt like you had made progress when you finished each of those assignments.   Still took me almost 2 yrs to finish.  I kept getting sidetracked too....LOL

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,821
Points 365,892
Kris replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 7:19 PM

Yay!

Nana I can't wait to see it.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 8:20 AM

Nana--

Fantatic!  I ment to reply yesterday, but I am just getting over a bad cold, my DH is just coming down with something, and we are having a hard time regulating our furbaby Charlie's insulin.  Today I hope to take a deep breath and get some things done around here.

If I remember correctly-and that's always a gamble-you don't use a hoop.  How do you baste your quilt to keep everything from shifting?

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,821
Points 365,892
Kris replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 11:35 PM

Pat,

I hope you all get to feeling better soon.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 9:34 PM

Pat

I don't use a hoop.   I sandwich my quilt and use safety pins just like I would if I was machine quilting.  So far it has worked out pretty good.   I have found that if I notice a wrinkle on the back as I quilt I can unpin a few places and work the backing toward the edges.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 8:48 AM

Kris--

Thanks for the wel-wishes.  I'm doing better, DH so-so, and furbaby Charlie still has insulin problems.  We are hoping that the Vet School at Iowa State might be able to come up with something.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 8:50 AM

Nana--

I might give that a try for my next project, although I do need to practice my "frame" quilting because there are several groups that want me to join them for their quilting "bees".

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 55

First let me say' I think it is great ..For my self I am new to quilting,Also I am new to QCA..  If u would be nice enough to write the must  have in my basket That would be great. I made a table runner on the machine ..I like to do one by hand U signed in as Nana  I am Nana too. Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Mar 13 2012 1:14 AM

Moureen Joan

Welcome to QCA.  I hope you enjoy your time with us.   I am not sure exactly what you are asking,.  As far as what I use for hand work....  you need a really good needle ... I use Bohin Patchwork needles in size 11.   And I really like the Aurifil threads.  They don't tangle very badly and they stand up to the tug of hand work.   If your eyesight is anything like mine and you can't see the eye of the needle then get one of the Clover brand tabletop needle threaders.  They usually run about $15 at JoAnn's.   Next is to find a comfortable thimble.  I like the Clover leather thimbles as well as the rubber ones with the metal end.   If you want to piece by hand since you are new to quilting it would be good to have a 1/4 in ruler to mark your seam allowances.  After you have sewn a few blocks you will learn to judge your seams without marking.    I hope this helps.  If you have more questions please feel free to ask.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 55

Nana

Thank you so much. I didnot know that there were special needles. Yes,my eyes are same as yours. I will be look a the theader real soon.

This will be a great help to me, I am have foot surg. at the end of the mo  I am trying to set up a couple of easy project since I will be home bound for a 

while

. moureen

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Mar 13 2012 11:49 AM

Moureen

I hope your surgery goes well and your recovery goes quickly.   Enjoy your time with your handwork.   It can be very relaxing.   I usually save my handwork to do of the evening while watching TV with my husband.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Tue, Mar 13 2012 1:02 PM

Moureen-

Glad you are looking for hand projects to work on while you recover from surgery-it will make the time pass quicker.  I use whatever needle I can easily find to hand piece-usually it's a quilting needle!  I don't use a thimble to hand piece, but I do use one for hand quilting.  As you can see, we all have our own way of doing things-try different ones and see what works for you.  If you can, get a copy of Jinny Beyer's book, "Quiltmaking by Hand".  It's fantastic!  Keep the questions coming--we're here to help if we can.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Mar 13 2012 1:10 PM

Pat

I so agree that everyone does it differently.   You definitely need to find what works best for you.   I also don't use my best needles just for piecing.  You can do it with just about any needles you have on hand.   I have just gotten spoiled with the really sharp needles that slide thru fabric so well.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use