Your "Fearless Leader" needs your input

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. Posted: Sun, Mar 4 2012 9:57 AM

First time I've been on the computer in about a week--I've been ill, but on the mend now.  I see that there was no interest in the thread question I had previously posted but maybe someone could help me out on this issue.  I was given a top to hand quilt.  The design is marked with a very dark pencil line (at least it looks to be a regular pencil--no one seems to know). I have never used a regular pencil for marking.  I don't want to get the whole thing quilted and then not be able to remove the marks.  Any suggestions?

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,375
Georgia replied on Sun, Mar 4 2012 10:17 AM

Pat -- I have used pencil to mark my handquilting designs and have never had any problem getting  the marks out.  It washes out in the machine.  Since you have inherited this quilt and really don't know what the markings are, I would lay the top out flat and take a damp cloth with a little dab of soap to it,  Just use your fingetip under the cloth and try to remove a small spot of the line.  You may actually remove that fingertip size bit of the line, but you will know if it will wash off or not.

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Sun, Mar 4 2012 11:45 AM

Thanks, Georgia.  I'll give it a try later this week.

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 90
Points 1,190
Bianca replied on Sun, Mar 4 2012 11:58 AM

You might also want to try an eraser. But if it was regular pencil it should wash out, if very dark after a few washes. Just quilt it and be fearless.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 8:51 AM

Pat , the new Frixon pens are really good for marking quilts, it irons right out when finished .I use it all the time, have no problems with it at all . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,446
Points 361,712
Kris replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 2:29 PM

I used a Frixion pen on a quilt block recently and after I ironed it I could still see a faint white line where the ink was. I know the ink doesn't go away the heat simply makes it invisible but I didn't like seeing that line. Let me add, however, that no one else will notice this. I'm not against using Frixion pens.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use