Best magazine/pattern for hand piecers?

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 7,370
Valerie Posted: Thu, Dec 30 2010 4:13 PM

Does anyone have a quilt magazine that they love for hand piecing? Also do you have a particular pattern that you love and is very easy to do?

Valerie

Woodbridge VA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,166
Points 387,662
Kris replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 7:26 PM

Good question Valerie. I'm looking forward to the answers you get.

I would usually just hand piece whatever pattern I like. Simply draw your sewing lines on your shapes. I've made templates and I've rotary cut. I also use Inklingo from Linda Franz.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 7,370
Valerie replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 9:10 PM

I have wanted to try Inklingo however my printer only works half of the time, and it doesn't seem to like to print pdf files for some reason. Which I don't know why since it is a all in one printer having the scanner and capability to fax as well. It has never worked that great even from the beginning. We got it over a year ago or so.

Valerie

Woodbridge VA

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,166
Points 387,662
Kris replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 11:09 PM

That's too bad Valerie. Maybe you can download some of the free stuff from the site and see how your printer fares. Have you written to the printer manufacturer?

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 34
Points 275

I really BH&G's Quilting Magazine.  I have over time belonged to them all and seen how they change, and usually it is to get rid of the quilting instructions and just keep the piecing/cloth instructions.  Nice but it does little for me who wants to know what they are recommending for the quilting.  BH&G has a n online presence at  www.allpeoplequilt.com and you can get their weekly suggestions without subscribing.

Merry Christmas Qwara

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,792
Points 420,639
gini replied on Fri, Dec 31 2010 4:11 PM

valerie, i don't know off any magazine dedicated to hand piecing. 

i can hand piece more precisely than by machine, so any pattern you do by machine you can make by hand..   straight lines are the easiest, but hand piecing itself isn't hard.  it is so much easier to do set in seams and points that come together, because the seams aren't sewn down.  you  sew up to the seam, pass through it and continue down the seam, pushing it to the other side.    in groups, here,  there are three individual groups -sylvia's bridal sampler, farmer's wife and dear jane-    we are making the blocks together.  some of us are hand piecing and some are machine piecing.    we give each other tips as we go along.   i have  finished all the  blocks to the sylvia quilt.  you will pretty much learn any technique you need by doing one of these sampler quilts, so i encourage  you to go look at them and see if they interest you. 

curved piecing is much easier for me by hand.   no that's not right, my curves are technically better by hand.  they're pretty easy on th emachine but not always as good.   i hope this helped you     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,792
Points 420,639
gini replied on Fri, Dec 31 2010 4:18 PM

http://www.roserushbrooke.com/how-to-hand-piece-1.html

http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Piecing-Jinny-Beyer-One/dp/1933308001  i have heard this is an excellent resource

georgia bonesteel is also a hand piecer, she may have a book too   gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 1,000
LindaE replied on Fri, Feb 4 2011 7:49 AM

Jinny Beyer wrote a whole book on it: Quiltmaking By Hand. Her designs are amazing!

So far, I have done a Tumbling Blocks, Thousand Pyramid, and a Civil War-ish star from a Judie Rothermel book.

In many ways, it is much easier to hand piece than machine. You are going slow enough to see problems before they really start. You can also manipulate the fabric a bit more than on a machine, so that it does exactly what you want it to.

The only block I gave up on doing by hand, and ended up machine piecing was a small LeMoyne star. I had no template, as I was following strip piecing instructions, and marking off the 1/4" seam allowance. It didn't work at all. The center bulged out no matter what I did. Once I joined it by machine, the bulge went away.

Linda in Amish Country, Ohio

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,620
Points 118,240
Linny t replied on Fri, Feb 4 2011 11:43 AM

I love Ginny Byer's work!  I don't have this book, but I watched a video/tutorial on The Quilt Show and wow!  I could not believe first of all the amount of quilts she produces piecing by hand.  It's amazing.  I got a lot of good tips from her about how she teaches students to choose fabrics for a quilt and how she designs a quilt.  I have only hand pieced 1 quilt.  It was a grandmother's flower garden.  All those hexes are a good example of a pattern that is better hand pieced.

Linny T

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 100
Traci replied on Fri, May 20 2011 6:31 PM

Thank you for the info on the book.  After reading your post I have just ordered it through Amazon. 

-Traci

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 135

And, if you live in Woodbridge, you know you're not very far from Jenny Beyer's shop/studio.  They give classes there.  Some by Jenny Beyer, but her staff is also good.

~Ann Marie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,333
Points 255,414
Barbara replied on Tue, May 24 2011 12:33 AM

Jenny Beyer's website is also great ,she has alot of really nice free downloads patterns that are awesome. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 100
Traci replied on Tue, May 24 2011 12:40 AM

... and Quiltmaking by Hand (Jinny Beyer).  My first two quilts were handquilted -- I have been learning to machine quilt with my sewing machine on my other quilts.  There is always something new to learn with quilting!!; I just received three hand-quilting books ordered through Amazon:  Hand Quilting (Alex Anderson); Learn to Do Hand Quilting In Justs One Day (Nancy Brenan Daniel)

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.