So how is everyone coming on their Civil War Quilts?

rated by 0 users
This post has 34 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

I keep looking for my new magazine to come... getting impatient  right? Then cleaned off my cutting table and there hidden since Friday is my magazine! I could have been making my blocks over the weekend, but NO! I worked on some teeny tiny (drive you crazy) blocks.... Now, I will definitely get this started tomorrow. Today is already scheduled with girlfriends, haircuts, dinner and papercraft and card making projects. So, if I haven't done anything by now, it is on the back burner until tomorrow  yikes, I so want to do this. Until later! I didn't recognize the magazine because I thought it was a Keepsake Quilting catalog... how deceiving :p

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

Well, I've been up a long time... couldn't sleep last night so got up and started on the Civil War. Got the last 4 blocks done today and made one Setting Block which is wrong... ah could it be because I'm tired. Still have my d sil coming for dinner and sewing tonight... The Setting Block was really a sample, because I did not have enough of Cream #3 so I'll have to find something else and redo the corner.

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 345
FP Diane replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 8:36 AM

Nice job! Great fabric selections!

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 345
FP Diane replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 8:38 AM

I hope you're not like me........... the later I stay up and think I'm awake, the more unsewing I do!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

LOL, I do a lot of froggin' when I should be sleeping, you know ripit, ripit ! goin' to town today, ready to put the setting blocks together. Figure I should be able to get most of the top together this weekend. I notice that the magazine has a very simple quilting, so this will be wonderful time for me to use my new Tin Lizzie 18... Well she isn't new but 2nd Hand... but works like new!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

Finished up the Setting Blocks this evening and DH laid the whole top out and it is organized  all I need to do is trim the blocks and put them together and add the borders. Should get them together tomorrow and then the borders next week sometime. I'll be ready to start quilting right after Easter, I think!

Fun project!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 295
Muriel replied on Sun, Apr 24 2011 12:05 PM

You're absolutely correct Diane.....scrappy works!  I jumped in as you suggested and I've finished 13 blocks; one left!  Then I'll start on my setting blocks!  It's been fun so far; late nights, dreaming about the unfinished block(s) and up early in the morning to get more done......fun, fun, fun! 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

Here is my Civil War Sampler top... Dispite a lot of chopped points and corners I am happy with it. It will not go on show anywhere but here but I remember lots of ugly "WARM" blankies lol

xoxoxo

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 25

Wow! I am impressed! Just got my middle copy of the magazine (from a friend, do not know what happened to mine), and am collecting fabrics still. Like I need another UFO- so I am determined to finish!

Anyone else have the same issue- too many fabrics/patterns and too little time?

Su in Vancouver USA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 100

Ms MoomMist, that is fantastic! I love the blue in there. Really makes the blocks pop! Don't worry about those points, you are the only one who will notice it. Great job!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

Su Holmes:

Wow! I am impressed! Just got my middle copy of the magazine (from a friend, do not know what happened to mine), and am collecting fabrics still. Like I need another UFO- so I am determined to finish!

Anyone else have the same issue- too many fabrics/patterns and too little time?

Su in Vancouver USA

thank you. I had to buy my first month because my subscription had expired, then when the 3rd copy came I buried it under some fabric on my sewing machine cabinet so I know the feeling...

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

Toby J Lischko:

Ms MoomMist, that is fantastic! I love the blue in there. Really makes the blocks pop! Don't worry about those points, you are the only one who will notice it. Great job!

Thank you Toby. I just need to remember a couple of things my mother told me: "Haste makes waste!" and "Better later than never!"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,736
Points 364,792
Kris replied on Sat, May 7 2011 6:37 PM

Ms MoomMist:
Here is my Civil War Sampler top...

It's fantastic Miss MoomMist. I love it. Certainly not ugly. If it needs a home I'll be happy to adopt it. Job well done.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

Kris:

Ms MoomMist:
Here is my Civil War Sampler top...

It's fantastic Miss MoomMist. I love it. Certainly not ugly. If it needs a home I'll be happy to adopt it. Job well done.

LOL, like I said, even an ugly blankie keeps you warm! We know about things like that living in the Northeast and Great Lakes snow country lol!!!

Thank you Kris! Hope your tooth is better today.. DH has had similar trouble after go to the dentist. I try to avoid them and only get the simplest things done and pay cash, so they don't do much to me because I wouldn't pay if I'm in too much pain when I leave there. I had a dentist who was going to do over $5000.00 worth of stuff to my mouth. I told her that I was 60 years old and if she thought I was going to put that kind of money into my mouth, forget it. a pair of denture would work just fine!

Another one put a bridge in and it took her from November to May to get it done right. By the time she got finished I was 65 and not longer had dental insurance so it was going to cost me an extra $1200.00. I told her to forget that, I do without the blank-blank thing, so she cut the price in half and I paid her $25.00 a month for the next 2 years until it was paid off without interest. I told her at the beginning that I was turning 65 the following March and I needed it done before the end of the year because DH was retiring in February and I  would not have insurance and there was no way I could afford that kind of expense. So I figured it wasn't my fault that she did not get the work done right and on time. Now, I'm 67 and no dental insurance so I have to pay cash and the new dentist knows I'm not the fancy, smancy type, and does just what needs to be done, nothing more, nothing less.

Just last month had a molar break at an old filling. He took the old filling out, put in a new porcelain and charged me $168.00 for the whole job. Needless, to say I like this one!

Anyway, Kris take care and get better soon!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,736
Points 364,792
Kris replied on Sun, May 8 2011 10:26 AM

Thanks MoomMist. No improvement today. I was up all night. 

Page 2 of 3 (35 items) Prev123Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use