So how is everyone coming on their Civil War Quilts?

rated by 0 users
This post has 34 Replies | 9 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 345
FP Diane Posted: Mon, Mar 14 2011 2:11 PM

Do you have any photos to share?

• Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 110
Susan replied on Mon, Mar 14 2011 7:37 PM

I wish I could say that I am up to speed; but I have bought the material, looked at it and sighed .  I have been working so many hours that I really have met myself coming and going.  No stitching time.  

Spring is popping up all over here in Austin... and now the yard has to be rid of winter.  Hopefully... in the next month I will have a block or two made.

I am so bummed that I have had no time.

Susan

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

smargeson@gmail.com:

I wish I could say that I am up to speed; but I have bought the material, looked at it and sighed .  I have been working so many hours that I really have met myself coming and going.  No stitching time.  

Spring is popping up all over here in Austin... and now the yard has to be rid of winter.  Hopefully... in the next month I will have a block or two made.

I am so bummed that I have had no time.

Susan

I've been looking online for RJR fabrics for the Civil War Ladies and the only place I've found is Fons & Porter Quilt Kit, but oh I don't know if I want to go that way. I find that when I order kits, I always seem to run out of fabric before I finish or run out of quilt :o( I will probably look through my stash for some and being as I do the Fabshop Hop, perhaps I'll run across something very similar.  I'm surprised that Civil War Ladies 2 is out but that is also hard to find. Most of the links on RJR lead no where or to sights that do not have that particular line of fabric... Listen to me complain, complain, complain... I so looking forward to getting started. I found out that my subscription to Love of Quilting expired in November so had to re-up and had to buy the first two issues at "LFS" or in my case JoAnns

Has anyone else did anything? I'll post some pics as soon as I do - do something. Good Luck

xoxoxo

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

Just finished the Pinwheel block this morning... I think I now have the 1/4" and it looks better and measures 12-1/2 " so that should be the correct size... I think

I loaded up to the gallery, but here it is anyway

! With all the problems I had yesterday, I'm pleased with this.

Thank you for looking

xoxoxo

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 345
FP Diane replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 1:43 PM

It's hard to resist that Spring Fever!

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 345
FP Diane replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 1:44 PM

Nice fabrics and block!  Way to go! 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

FP Diane:

Nice fabrics and block!  Way to go! 

Thank you... Just finished up the last one from the Jan-Feb issue and loaded them up to the Gallery. Here is a smaller sampling of them. Thanks for looking.

So far the best tool I have used is the new F & P Stilleto... Works super to start the points of the triangles.

xoxoxo

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

Ok I'm up to date! I am waiting for Part 3 to arrive in my mailbox. It is not that I don't have anything to do. Tomorrow is Part 2 or step 4& 5 of Mystery Quilt #4 so I can dig into that and get work on the border of "Ladies of the Seas" BOM that I've been doing. Here are the lastest 5 blocks.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 80
Sandy replied on Sat, Mar 26 2011 12:48 PM

I found most of the RJR Civil War Ladies prints at betterquiltkit.com  (and the prices were good, too).  It was listed in the RJR fabrics at the bottom there is an area called What's new for March.   This is one of the few sites in the shop hop that carry the RJR Civil War prints.   RJR fabric is not well represented on-line, in general.  I've also been looking for the Marianne Elizabeth and Robyn Pandolph collections without a lot of luck.  Anyone know why RJR is so poorly represented???

Another route is to plug each fabric name and number into ebay.   I did buy a lot of Robyn Pandolph Fancy Hill in that way.  

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 345
FP Diane replied on Wed, Mar 30 2011 3:36 PM

Those look great! Love the color variations! That's what makes it yours!

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 345
FP Diane replied on Wed, Mar 30 2011 3:38 PM

Sandy,

There are a lot of companies doing reproduction prints, so don't limit yourself !  You'll be pleasantly surprised at what's out there!  It's kinda like developing a whole new category of stash!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 100

Looks great! What a wonderful start. Can't wait to see the other blocks. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

Toby J Lischko:

Looks great! What a wonderful start. Can't wait to see the other blocks. 

Thank you, I can hardly wait for the next issue to come in my mailbox. My friends are tired of see the same blocks over and over again lol

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 295
Muriel replied on Fri, Apr 8 2011 9:52 AM

I reviewed all the posts and pictures of completed squares.....great job ladies!  There are some great color choices (my hardest task) in these completed squares!

I have not begun!  Unfortunately, I lost my mom recently and just haven't gotten my butt in gear!  I have lots of excuses, but I know that if I would attack only one block a week (not too much to ask) it would surprise me how much I'd have done (I've used this tactic before....can you tell).  I have lots of civil war fat quarters which I was planning to use for this quilt.  I need to find 2 background fabrics.  So, thinking "it's never too late" my plan is to search/buy the background fabric and make at least one square within the next week!  Ok Mom, this first block is for you! 

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 345
FP Diane replied on Fri, Apr 8 2011 10:04 AM

Just jump in! I think you'll find that once you start, it will be addictive!  And if it's a fabric decision, a scrap quilt can never have enough scraps! Check out some of Liz's quilts. Seems the more the merrier. In fact she has several coming up in the next LOQ issues, so don't forget to check them out!

So sorry to hear about your mom. I will tell you from experience, a quilt was a great way to work through a similar difficulty. I think it gave me time to focus and get myself back on track with everything in my life! I hope it will yours too!

• Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 123Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use