Introduce Yourself!

rated by 0 users
This post has 28 Replies | 17 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 778,245
QCA Admin Posted: Wed, Jan 5 2011 9:54 AM

Please tell us a bit about yourself and what attracted you to making this quilt!

• Post Points: 200
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 100

Hi all. My name is Toby Lischko. I am a quilt designer, teacher, and award winner and I have been quilting since 1985. I started getting my quilts published in 1998 and work with many of the fabric companies and magazine editors. I teach workshops of varying difficulties and specialize in curved piecing and foundation piecing. I am thrilled that my Civil War Sampler was chosen to do a special segment on the QCA website!

When I was presented with the fabric line by RJR I wanted to do a sampler to make the best use of many of the fabrics in the collection by Pat Nickols. I had never had a sampler published before and I wanted to make sure that the blocks were traditional to the era. I did online research and checked through my block references to find the right blocks. I used EQ7 to move the fabrics around for the best use of each print. I did get help piecing the quilt by my friend Dolores Keaton. (I tend to take on more projects than I can finish by myself!)

I have a website www.gatewayquiltsnstuff.com along with a blog and facebook page with links on my website. I have two other patterns with this line called Jacob's Ladder and Stars and Stripes. I'll be happy to answer any questions from the group. 

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 345
FP Diane replied on Wed, Jan 5 2011 11:14 AM

I'm Diane Tomlinson, Assistant Editor here at Fons & Porter  and love having my passion as a job also!

I grew up with sewing and needle work on my mom's side and am usually the artsy one who likes to paint outside the box!  I love batiks, but I don't think I've met many fabrics I didn't want to try and make something out of !  I've been sewing since I was a child and quilting since I was in my 20s.

Toby's design and fabric choice caught my eye, as I was recently filled in from a family member about a trip my great grandmother and her sister took out to the west coast from Iowa right after the Civil War and right after the Continental Railroad was completed. I thought of how gutsy it was of 2 women in that time period to take off and go west of all places!  I have a quilt that was made from some of the fabrics they picked up on that trip and have come to appreciate the fabrics, quilts, and great stories from that period.  If you would like to see some great examples of Civil War time quilts, check out the International Quilt Study Center website and their library of quilts online. 

We hope you enjoy this project and will share comments and conversation freely with the rest of the group.  

Don't forget to send us photos of your work in progress! 

Happy Quilting! Diane

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 70

My name is Karen Bergt and I'm from Texarkana, AR.  I have been quilting for 10 years, wow how time flies.  I have been a member of Quilters Club of America for several years and I haven't been very active.  This year I plan on using the site more and get to know quilters from other places.

I joined this group because I love Civil War fabrics.  I think it will be fun!  Can't wait to see everyones blocks.

Karen

Texarkana, AR

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Jan 5 2011 9:22 PM

Hi Toby, I was so thrilled when I happned upon this quilt in Love of Quilting. I love the Civil war fabric and  quilts and look foward to making this one . thanks for all the information and I will check out your other patterns . Thanks for doing this quilt  I love it ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Jan 5 2011 9:26 PM

Hi I'm Barbara ,from Liberty Missouri. I'm still a newbie quilter  but love a challenge. I really became hooked on Civil War fabric and quilts this summer as I was checking out local quilt shows and just knew I wanted to make one. this just seems the perfect time and since it is stretched out over a good amount of time there is no rush. Look forward to getting started and chatting with others who also enjoy this project...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 100

Hi Barbara, glad to hear from another Missourian. I live in Robertsville (soon to be moving to Beaufort). Looking forward to seeing everyones' quilts.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
sndnsea replied on Wed, Jan 5 2011 10:08 PM

Hi 

My name is Sandi  Myer and I have been quilting sparingly since 2006. I love the Civil war patterns and quilts that I have seen and 

was very interested to participate when I saw this group. I love the fabrics and the blocks of other Civil War  patterns that I have seen.

I live in Massachusetts and have been trying various types and styles of quilting. I work on a variety of things at the same

time.

Look forward to meeting you all!

Sandi

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 865
Traci replied on Thu, Jan 6 2011 9:01 AM

Good morning!  My name is Traci & I'm in Tulsa, Oklahoma! I'm looking forward to doing this one.  I'm not really keen on the yellow, so I'll probably change it up a bit.  I've got a group of CW FQ that's been hanging around for awhile, time to make some room in my stash boxes!!! 

Traci O.

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 345

This quilt will adapt well to a lot of great prints, so have fun making it your own!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Jan 6 2011 8:45 PM

Hi Traci and Sandi nice to meet you , this sould be a fun quilt . I don't have all my fabric yet but looking foward to getting started . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 19
Points 140
Rilene replied on Wed, Jan 19 2011 10:37 AM

Hello everyone. I love Civil War patterns, but have never made a quilt from them. Still need to buy more fabric. Hoping to find time! 

Rilene

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 25
Paula replied on Wed, Jan 19 2011 5:24 PM

My name is Paula.  I have been piecing for several years.  I am an educator and love quilts that I can take to school and talk about the history behind them.  The Civil War sampler will make a great intro to our unit on the Civil War.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 300
Martha replied on Thu, Jan 20 2011 6:30 PM

I've been quilting for a while now, and am happy to join this group.  I live in Spotsylvania, VA, and this year is the 150th anniversary of the Civil War battles in this area.  So I have been reading quite a bit about that time in the past few years as the area has been preparing for remembrance.  It's timely for me that this beautiful quilt is offered in the QCA!  I am not a fast quilter because of a very busy schedule (including a move in the next 2 weeks!), but I look forward to interacting with the group and learning more as we go!

Martha

Martha

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 7,370
Valerie replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 11:10 AM

My name is Valerie and I am originally from Iowa. I am teaching myself to sew/quilt. I love history and fabrics from the civil war. I haven't started on any of the blocks yet but hope to start soon. I don't think though I have enough civil war fabrics so instead I might do some other fabrics such as the 1930's. Since I am just a college student right now and not working my husband says that I need to use the fabric which I already have (which is a lot of fabric a couple of tubs full, lol).

Valerie

Woodbridge VA

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use