Fabric and Cutting Requirements

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 778,175
QCA Admin Posted: Wed, Dec 29 2010 4:06 PM

The fabric and cutting requirements for Civil War Sampler can be found in the January/February issue of Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting magazine.

If you have any questions about either one, post them here .... or feel free to show and tell which fabrics you're going to use.

• Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 110
Susan replied on Sun, Feb 6 2011 8:03 PM

Hello:  I have been reviewing the fabric requirements and would like to confirm that the yellow, tan, and brown prints (#1-4) are variations of the color.  Must the colors be what has been suggested?  The reason I am asking is the yellow print is a bit bright. Or does it just look bright on the RJR site and magazine?

Any comments will be helpful.

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 1,000
LindaE replied on Mon, Feb 7 2011 8:37 AM

I plan on hand piecing this quilt. The last time I tried to use strip piecing cutting instructions, then mark off the 1/4" seam allowance, I ended up with a disaster, and machine piecing anyway. I still don't know what exactly went wrong.

To avoid hair pulling and headaches, do you have the sizes of finished half and quarter square triangles available so that I can make templates? I can get the squares from the magazine.

If you don't, that's fine, I'll draft my own. I just thought if you had them handy, it might save me some time.

Thanks!

Linda in Amish Country, Ohio

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 345
FP Diane replied on Mon, Feb 7 2011 11:58 AM

The yellow is bright and there's no reason why you can't make this quilt in colors you like. There were other shades of yellow and browns in that time period. Sometimes we run out of descriptive words for colors and do our best to describe them, but if you'd like to see the quilt in another color, that's great!  It's your quilt and your artistic expression! Please do share when you get some done!

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 110
Susan replied on Tue, Feb 8 2011 8:24 PM

Whoo Hoo!!!!! I have chosen my fabric tonight.  I have exchanged the mustard bright yellow with cheddar color.  I believe this color will produce the same effect.   It looks great with the rust, since the rust has a print with the similar color.

How blocks are there in the length?  I am assuming 7 and 5 wide?

Thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 345

Cutting instructions are the same for hand piecing as machine if you are using the 1/4 inch seam allowance.

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 345

Your colors sound great! 

Counting the setting squares, the quilt is 5 x 6 blocks.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 110
Susan replied on Wed, Feb 9 2011 7:28 PM

Thank you..

It seems (by my calculation) the 7.5 yds for the backing is generous.  Which is fine.  I got the last of the bolt for my backing.  I was definitely holding my breath, but i seems that if there was less I still could have made.  

I was able to the Civil War print with the flags and presidents.  So I am pleased.  I have plans for any extra.

Thank you.

Susan

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 1,000
LindaE replied on Fri, Feb 11 2011 7:46 AM

Thank you! I'm stopping at a quilt shop tomorrow! Sometime between now and then I have to decide between cinnamon pink and cheddar yellow. It's a tough choice. ;)

Linda in Amish Country, Ohio

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 25

I am new to quilting, the magazine and this forum.  Is there any way I can purchase the January/ February and the March/April issue?  I bought the May/June issue and I just loved the Civil War Sampler and really would like to try this.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

Maria Perez:

I am new to quilting, the magazine and this forum.  Is there any way I can purchase the January/ February and the March/April issue?  I bought the May/June issue and I just loved the Civil War Sampler and really would like to try this.

Hi Maria, I think you can get the back issues on Fons & Porter's website. Good luck.

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 345
FP Diane replied on Mon, Apr 18 2011 2:02 PM

No problem!

You can order both issues at 

http://www.fonsandporter.com//aspx/FonsandPorter/fp/ourmagazine/backissues.aspx

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use