Sampler blocks 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara Posted: Tue, Jan 15 2013 1:19 AM

Hi all sorry I didn't get this posted today . My camera was totally dead,so it is recharging and I have everything ready to go for tomorrow .We will be working on the wonky log cabin.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 3:21 PM

Here is a picture of the finished block ,This the log cabin block ,I will do the tutorial alittle later as I lost all I did here once .sorry . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

Absolutely beautiful. I love the different texture in each piece. This is what I hope to achieve some day.  May I ask how long it took to do this one block?

Denise Smart

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 7:13 PM

Pretty block Barbara.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 10:01 PM

Denise ,it would have taken  me a couple of hours if I hadn't had to stop in the middle of doing it .  My son's car got vadilized last evening and I had to go out and deal with police and tow trucks  etc.. they tried to steal it and got all mess up left all kinds of stuff in the car a ball cap  ,flashlight .  the steering column is all messed up ..

thanks for your kind words as well Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 10:03 PM

Thank you Kris. 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 8:25 PM

Awesome job on your block Barbara. I did the spiral but it didn't turn out so well. Real wonky on some of the turns. I'm not sure about freehand for me. May have to use a stencil until I get better at it.

Barbara:
Here is a picture of the finished block ,This the log cabin block ,I will do the tutorial alittle later as I lost all I did here once .sorry . Barbara

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 12:44 AM

Debbie, those big spirals are difficult to do ,I have a hard time as well I didn't do them on this block as I really don't like the big sprials. Its okay to use stencils ,but I promise you if you keep particing at least 15 mins everyday you will eventually not need them unless its a very complex design.  What kind of foot are you using to do your quilting ,is it the darning foot that comes with the machine or do you have a actual FMQ foot. ? I was using the darning foot but fianlly purchased a quilting foot form my Janome ,and I love it . I can adjust the height and stuff with it . if you have the darning foot try and modify it like Leah mentioned in her class. If you need anything just yell and I'll help out best I can ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 9:26 PM

Barbara thank you. My arms are sore from 'pushing' the quilt I am working on. Think I am going to gain some muscles doing this.  I do have gloves but not the super slider. 

I have 2 quilting feet. One is open and one closed. They pretty much look the same except one has a plastic shank and one is metal. They both came with the machines. (I have 2 machines)  But so far my problem has been with starts and stops with the big quilt. The quilt wants to jump sideways on me and I end up with 'odd man out' stitches. And my sewing machine always wants to do one more stitch then what I want it too. Today I took off my shoe and that did seem to help me get the feel of the 'gas' peddle and I can stop sooner. Hopefull y I can play a little more tomorrow.

Deb  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 11:10 AM

Debbie ,yeah those starts and stops get me to ,I try to remember to have my fabric anchored really well with my hands before  I start to keep this from happening .but it still does sometimes .this to will get easier with pratice. good luck and keep it up. I'm going to be getting lots of pratice time here soon as I have finally gotten just about all my quilts sandwiched and ready to start,i have about 13 now to quilt ..oh boy .. LOL  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

Inspired by Barbara's beautiful block I gathered up my courage to mix motifs in a single block, instead of doing an all over pattern. I had a lot of fun with this FMQ, because I felt that it matched the style of the quilt.

I couldn't fit the echo clamshells into the 2" wide strip, so I did that in another block as an allover pattern. Here is the backside

I still can't do that darn echo paisley, even on paper. Must be some kind of mental block. Am I the only one struggling with paisley?

Denise Smart

• Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 12:11 AM

Denise , beautiful job. on the quilting,   As to the echo clam shells it took me awhile to do them as well, what helped me was doing them on paper first , I did them so many times I finally got them imprinted on my brain ,it really does help to draw them by hand first .. just keep praticing you'll get it to .the ones you did on the second picture look  pretty darn good to me .. I really like what you did with the circles on the first block , I'll have to remember that one.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 2:49 AM

Denise Smart:
Inspired by Barbara's beautiful block I gathered up my courage to mix motifs in a single block, instead of doing an all over pattern. I had a lot of fun with this FMQ, because I felt that it matched the style of the quilt.

Your FMQ looks great Denise. I love the clam shells.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,262
Points 173,163
Marie replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 9:15 AM

Denise, what a beautiful job you did FMQ.  Is this your first try?  I'm impressed!  If paisley is the only thing you can't get your mind around you certainly have many others to use.  But I know you'll practice and practice more so you'll get that paisley down.

Millbury, MA

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

Barbara:

I really like what you did with the circles on the first block , I'll have to remember that one.

Thanks Barbara. Adding the curving line through the center of the circle makes it so much easier to move from circle to circle. I don't have to travel stitch! It is just a variation of Leah Days coffee bean design which does the same thing with ovals.

Denise Smart

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use