This post has 54 Replies | 11 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,090
Starling replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 10:39 AM

Kris:

Barbara et al,

what's different in the craftsy class from what's free onLeah's site? I did not make the quilt she's working on.

That is a good question. It is possible that you could find most of what is there on her site if you looked hard enough. But it wouldn't be organized the way this is. I, also, did not make the BOM from last year. I did some things that were similar to those blocks, but did not make the quilt. But I still learned a lot just from watching Leah's class. For one thing, if she needed 20 minutes or 40 minutes to teach something, she could take it. YouTube only allows her to take 15 minutes.

But mostly she was "forced" to organize what she was going to teach. And she was able to return to a lot of things she taught during her first year or two on the blog. I don't think she has addressed dealing with a bed sized quilt on a small machine since 2010 or even earlier. She has never explained how she layers a quilt all in one place as far as I know. She deals with a quilt as you go technique that would actually work.

But mostly, even if you didn't make the quilt, seeing how she deals with a variety of blocks in a real quilt, especially one that wasn't designed for the quilting, is eye opening. Leah Day is more than capable of quilting a quilt to death, but that isn't what she was doing with this quilt. Even a beginner could use her methods and techniques from this class to get a real quilt quilted. And that alone is worth the price of admission. Especially since if you go to her web page and click on the class from there, the price of admission is 50% off.

I have taken a lot of Craftsy classes. Except for the first one I have never paid full price. I allow Craftsy and Interweave to send me emails. The Craftsy ones aren't annoying. The Interweave ones are some of the time. But between them I get notified of every sale they do, and they offer a few classes for sale each week, and all the classes on sale a few times a year. If you don't know if you would like a Craftsy class, take one or more of the free ones, but understand that the paid classes are better than the free ones because the teacher is involved more heavily. You can ask questions and get answers.

Starling

Please visit my blog at http://walkinglifespathagain.blogspot.com/

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,262
Points 173,163
Marie replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 10:42 AM

Kris, I don't know if she has all the steps pre-free motion quilting such as laying out backing, batting and top.  How she spray starches, etc on her site.  You actually see her planning and quilting a particular block as opposed to quilting on a sandwich, although she does show you how to practice each stitch on a sandwich before putting it on an actual block.  She also has the Janome 7700 as I do so the info on how to set that up is invaluable to me  I hope this helps.  PM me, we need to get together soon.

Millbury, MA

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 12:27 PM

Starling ,thanks for the explaining to Kris .great job.  I agree with what Starling has said . with the class she has more time to go over what she is doing and is alot more orgainized . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,454
Points 361,782
Kris replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 9:14 PM

Thanks for the info Starling. I'm in the class on quilting large quilts on a small machine so I guess I'll pass on this one for now.

I also don't pay full price for any of these classes. I'm enrolled in a few of them and have not made a single project from any of them so I'm trying to be more careful with what I sign up for.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,454
Points 361,782
Kris replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 4:12 AM

Marie:
 PM me, we need to get together soon.

Was thinking the same thing today.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,090

Kris:

Thanks for the info Starling. I'm in the class on quilting large quilts on a small machine so I guess I'll pass on this one for now.

I also don't pay full price for any of these classes. I'm enrolled in a few of them and have not made a single project from any of them so I'm trying to be more careful with what I sign up for.

I understand where you are coming from on being careful. I also took the large quilt class although I don't have one to quilt. I learned a great deal in the classes I took, some more than others. I am also being more careful because there are so many classes I might like to take. But you can only take so many at one time.

Starling

Please visit my blog at http://walkinglifespathagain.blogspot.com/

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 10:16 AM

My first BOM block finished. I took another class on FMQ block by block, and I am gonna use that method to put this together. So I have no sashing on it yet. I did better then I thought I would on the Paisley. But had a hard time seeing the white thread as I worked on it. Also found that when I 'travel' I tend to make my stitches bigger. So I need to slow my hands down.

I have the next two blocks backed and ready to start. :)

Deb

• Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,568
Points 30,579
Kelley replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 10:24 AM

awesome Debbie.. looks great..

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 697
Points 11,420
Bev replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 12:59 PM

Debbie, I love your colors and what a great job on the quilting!

from TN

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 1:27 PM

Thanks Kelley and Bev. :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 4:32 PM

Debbie,this looks fantastic. You did a really good job.  Your paisleys look really good . I love the basket weave  alot better then the stippling  ,wish I'd thought of that ..LOL   Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,262
Points 173,163
Marie replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 5:38 PM

Debbie, very nice quilting and very pretty block.

Millbury, MA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 7:56 PM

Thanks Barbara and Marie. :) I was afraid to FMQ. But been playing all day and I am not afraid anymore. Having a blast too. Finished another block today and started on a third. Found out I need more pratice with spirals. It kind of got out of hand and a little wonky. lol

Barbara I saw that basket pattern on another class I am taking and loved it. But it makes the square stiff with all the close stitching.

Deb

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,454
Points 361,782
Kris replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 8:19 PM

Debbie (Dainty):
My first BOM block finished.

Beautiful work Debbie.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,537
Points 46,655
Debbie-do replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 9:24 PM

Hi,

I recently joined this group and was reading through this discussion thread.  I wanted to share with you what I found to use instead of the Supreme Slider.  It's pretty much the same thing but much less expensive.  It's called Sew-Slip.  The store where I bought my Janome carried it instead of Supreme Slider.  http://www.sewslip.com/ .  I can't compare the difference in use between the two but I notice a real difference when I use it as opposed to not using it.

I'm off to read more of the threads!

Southwest of San Antonio

Page 3 of 4 (55 items) Prev1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use