Sampler block 1

rated by 0 users
This post has 54 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,837
Points 248,889
Barbara Posted: Mon, Dec 31 2012 12:48 PM

Here is the first block .if you are using the blocks you made  and you have them all together ,go ahead and stitch the whole block  in the ditch,do  everything but the triangles.   I  would advise everyone to make a sample block first  to pratice the designs first , they really are not hard .Pratice your Paisley design .Draw a teardrop and echo it .do at least three for pratice.  they will not all go the same direction and can be different sizes.  I have some pictures here of what I have done . barbara

Make sure you have your block or quilt sandwiched.this is the block we will be doing the first two weeks

Pick a nice backing for your blocks or guilt .

Make sure you have your quilting foot on  and your supreme Slider if you have one

Once you are ready ,pratice you designs on your pratice piece ,you will be doing stippling (meduin size)and big U shapes and paisley .Here is my pratice block. Leah  Day recommends you work in rows ,I find that works much better.

Here is my block with my partice on it top row is U shapes ,Middle row is my stipplin and third row my paisley Once you are comfortable with you stitches place your main block or quilt on machine

first you are going to do your center  if you have not stitched in the ditch around your center do it now.

when done with the SID  pick your corner and start your stippling ,take your time there is no hurry .

Here is the finished center .

Next from where you stopped on the center start doing your paisley  designs and take your time again there is no hurry ,You will see I have gone several directions with mine and add several echo rounds on the tear drop . You can also see mine are not perfect  I still have problems with going back over lines I've already made ,but with this design you have to do this to move around the quilt.

Once you have finished your paisley ,go to your corner triangles do your STD  and then  start your U shapes filling up the whole space ,as you will see in the next picture.

\

this is how they should look when finished

this is the final step

this is the finished block .

this is the back of the finished block

I hope that you will all work on this and please post pictures when finished . You have two week to get this done and then I will start on the next blocks .If you have any questions ,please let me know .

thanks 

Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,038
Points 369,072
Kris replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 5:16 PM

Barbara,

I can't say enough how impressed I am at your skill. I'm amazed every time you post something.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,837
Points 248,889
Barbara replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 5:41 PM

Thanks Kris . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 11:07 AM

beautiful work barbara. I didn't have the money to sign up for leahs as it was not there when i signed up for Cindy's originally I think. I wish I had enough to take whatever I wanted. I will probably sign up in a few months. Good luck guys :)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 11:07 AM

Hi Barbara, 

i joined this group because I want to learn how to do FMQ. Is this tutorial for a beginner?

I have a Brother SQ-9000 that has a small throat area but I hope it is enough for quilting. 

I do have a quilting foot that came with it but what is a supreme slider? 

Are you quilting the individual blocks before they are sewn together 

Why does this scare me? It looks easy from your instructions.  

What is paisley and is stippling kind of like meandering?

So  many questions but thanks for answering them!

Happy New Year!

from TN

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Bev :
what is a supreme slider? 

I'm obviously not Barb but it is a teflon sheet that makes it easier to move your quilt while doing FMQ

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Bev, I just did a search and got a lot of hits. Here is one that came up EQuilter

QRTFLSPM

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,837
Points 248,889
Barbara replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 11:30 AM

Bev, I'm happy you will be join us . and don't be scared.  I'll help you thru this . First look thru the different threads here you will see some early tutorial  that will help you out.  but yes this will be for beginners as that is what we all are here .

2nd your machine should work ,I am doing a guilt as you go with mine so I can better show what we are doing . If you don't have the blocks just make up a FQ or scrap fabric and sandwich it .three layers, fabric ,batting and fabric. You can use this and just do your practice with it. I will also show how to put the quilt together when finished .

3.A supreme  Slider  how to explain this . I put a picture of this on here so you can see it . They are a little pricey but well worth the cost , It helps you  to move your quilt around and has a slick surface. You also will want a good pair of quilting gloves  These to help you grip your quilt when quilting.

4.Stippling is the same as meandering .just different name . Paisley is a type of design .it is really easy . you just make a small teardrop and the keep repeating around it with what we call echos.usually a 1/4 in to !12 inch depending on what you want.

5.The biggest thing to remember is this is suppose to be fun, You are not going to be good at it the first few times you try and  that is okay  no one is . if you practice a little everyday  15 mims even it will just hit you one day like a light bulb going off in your head ,that is is not hard.  the biggest thing is to get your stitches and speed down .once you have mastered that  the rest is easy.  Also try drawing your design on paper first ,this helps your brain ,get the idea of the motion.  here is a web site for zentangle that shows you how to draw a lot of designs and break it down so you can see how easy it is .    www.tanglepatterns.com

hope this helps ,and If you have any more question just let me know .  Now relax take a deep breath and go for it ..LOL  

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 1:13 PM

Thanks Spudgrandma and Barbara,

i will check this out next time I go shopping!

from TN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,837
Points 248,889
Barbara replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 1:16 PM

Bev I'm not sure of the size  of your machine but the best ting on the slider is to get a big one.they do come in different sizes. I'd wait until one of the sops has a big sale or Joanna have one of 50% off coupons. then they won't be so expensive . barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 2:40 PM

Barbara, you are amazing!  Your block is amazing!  You took to free motion so quickly, you are a natural is all I can say.  Can't wait to get my quilt, it is going to be awesome.

Millbury, MA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 3:33 PM

I do think she is a natural am having more trouble than she is lol with basic designs even. I do think in order to participate in the craftsy discussion here you would need to be enrolled in leahs class or at least get her permission to share more than your pictures.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,038
Points 369,072
Kris replied on Thu, Jan 3 2013 2:13 AM

Barbara:
4.Stippling is the same as meandering .just different name .

Actually they're considered to be different. Stippling is very small and often used as a filler. Meandering is large scale and can be used in borders or across a whole quilt.

The size and spacing is what makes them different.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,837
Points 248,889
Barbara replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 9:26 PM

Ok thanks Kris . I honestly thought they were the same

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

As a beginner FMQ who has vastly overdrawn my quilting budget I am joining in as best I can on an actual quilt that doesn't use any of the Craftsy blocks. These blocks are 15" square.

Here is my meander block at approx .5" scale.

I am not comfortable with the paisley design yet. I can't even draw it on paper. My paisley keep shrinking. So here is my substituted made up giant paisley with c curl attachments. This is the back side of the quilt. I will keep practicing the paisley on paper., I'm just not there yet.

Denise Smart

• Post Points: 50
Page 1 of 4 (55 items) 1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use