Wholecloth Quilt

rated by 0 users
This post has 33 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara Posted: Sat, Oct 27 2012 9:01 AM

Well everyone I'm taking the plunge and working on a small whole cloth quilt . I thought you might all like to follow me while I do this . Its been intresting so far. I'm just doing a small one to start and if it comes out ok I'll try an bigger one. I'll get pictures for you and post them alittle later . So far I have my fabric cut and pressed , I have laided out my refrence lines and drawn my pattern on to the fabric .  that has been the easy part. I'm still trying to make up my mind if I want to use Tarpunto on this one or not.   I will get those pictures for you before I do any more .  Barbara 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 1:49 PM

Hi all. here are some pictures for you of my beginning to my small WCQ.  So far it has been fun ,I have decided to go ahead and do the Trapunto and have it all done and ready to cut.  So this is what you will be seeing.  Thanks for watching me do this and I hope you will enjoy .. This is my first one. 

This is it all laid out with my reference lines and my pattern to use.

This is the whole pattern .sorry got out of sequence.

this is just one of the corners to give you an idea of what I"m doing.

This is the high loft batting I'm using to do the trapunto . You do not use fabric batting on this yet.

this is the back of the top I have stretched out the batting and fabric as best as I could an now I'm going to pin it

Now I"m all pinned and read to start . I have my water soluble thread on and a very lt grey thread in my bobbin .now I will quilt over all the drawn in areas only  to get the puffy trapunto going

I started in the center just as you would on a reg quilt . This is the front center

this is the back of the front center ,I will cut away all the rest of the batting except for what I stitched.

this is one of the side .front

This is the back  again I will cut away all the batting except what I stitched

This is the whole top finished .

This is the whole back ,now I have to sit and cut away all the batting that is not stitched.  then I will put my regular batting and my back on to do the actual quilting .

Once I start the actually cutting and quilting I will post more pictures for you . I hope you enjoyed work on this with me ..

Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,036
Points 169,793
Marie replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 2:48 PM

Barbara, thank you for taking us on this journey with you.  You are doing beautifully!  I am so so impressed by what you accomplish.  You were born to do this work.  Your WCQ is going to be exquisite!  Can't wait to see it finished.

Millbury, MA

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,033
Points 108,610
chocake2 replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 4:31 PM

Once again, Barbara, you are inspiring us all. I can't wait to see this finished!

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,090
Starling replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 4:52 PM

Barbara, the one thing I do very badly with free motion is follow a line. How does one improve in that area?

Starling

Please visit my blog at http://walkinglifespathagain.blogspot.com/

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 6:14 PM

Starling I would just take some of your stencils and draw then out and pratice. Mine were terrible wen I started to .  but it didnt' take long with stencils .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 6:15 PM

Thanks Marie and CC for your kind words . I did cut it all cut out ,but now I'm bushed so I'll take pictures tomorrow . LOL

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 6:00 PM

I have tired to post more pictures of my quilt but the site is not being cooperative so If I can get the last couple to load you can at least see my progress for the day.

I did get all my desings done and I'm now working on my fillers ,I have all my line drawn in  and I did a dense stippling on the center this is the back of what I have done so far .

Again the back of the center  so you can see the dense stippling

and I have started to work on my filler for the large space .

sorry I'm not going to push it I had it all laid out like yesterday and lost it all  so I'm just going to do these for now .  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,036
Points 169,793
Marie replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 6:37 PM

Oh Barbara, your work is outstanding, this is fantastic!  People should be knocking down your door to have their quilts quilted by you.  You go girl!

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 8:15 PM

This is really beautiful, Barbara.  You are my hero.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,813
Points 352,237
Kris replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 10:43 PM

Beautiful quilting Barbara. Thanks for the great photos and details of your process. Love the trapunto.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 10:43 PM

Thank you so much Maire and Karla, for your kind words .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 10:44 PM

thank you Kris ,  it means alot to me ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,949
gini replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 11:33 AM

barbara, i am so impressed with how far you have come in your quilting.  very nice work.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 4:31 PM

Thank you Gini. I have been praticing alot ..    Here is mylast updated picture of only hav one more end to do then I can put my binding on. 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 123Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use