FMQing SAMPLES FOR WEEK MARCH 19th .

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara Posted: Mon, Mar 19 2012 10:20 AM

Here are some sample for this weeks pratice ,they are form the Leah Day collection, They are very simple to do and are really your basic lines ,circles and some loops . Hove fun and please ahre your photos with us ,,thanks Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

Barbara,

These are just wonderful.  I didn't even get to practice this week at all.  I'll never learn if I don't take the time to practice.  I'm so encouraged by you and this group thought. I refuse to quit. Eventually I hope to be a pro at this.  I don't really want to send quilts out to be quilted as I like doing them from start to finish.  I have only finished a mini quilt from start to finish.  I plan on doing one for a wedding in July and for a dear aunt of mine.  I hope to post pictures of those though.  I want to post a picture if the min quilt I did. I'm so proud of it.  I'll try to post it this afternoon.  If I get to practice this week I will also post those.  Again, thank you for inviting me to this group.  I love it and this whole site and all the ladies and gentlemen. 

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Mar 19 2012 2:55 PM

Melissa, I look foward to see your pratice and project, I 'm so happy you are joining us . this is how we learn.I try to make it fun.. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,849
Points 366,407
Kris replied on Mon, Mar 19 2012 4:45 PM

Barbara,I really like your vines and the H2O is really funky. Nice work.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Mar 19 2012 6:47 PM

Thanks Kris. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 155
Points 1,515
Monica replied on Tue, Mar 20 2012 1:49 PM

I vow to practice FMQ for at least 1/2 hour every Tuesday.  Thanks Barbara for the encouragement!

I actually learned to FMQ from the book "Freemotion Quilting" by Judy Woodworth.  The book was great guidance and inspirational too.  It has a whole chapter on feathers.  Anyway I practiced every day for about 2 1/2 weeks and suddenly it clicked and started to feel like I had some control.  Alot of my early practice was echo lines, especially circles and drawing the lines on fabric and following the lines.  I developed a lot of control following the lines but now I need to free myself up and get faster.

I've been using old white sheets cut into 18" squares and iron on batting.  I use colored thread for the top and white thread in the bottom.  When I've filled up one whole piece I turn it over and use it again.  I just ignore the white thread quilting that's already on there.  I'll probably use them for cleaning rags when my pile gets too big!

Another reason to use two different color threads is so you can easily see whether the tension is right.  It takes some experimenting.  On my machine I usually sew around setting 3 and for FMQ I set it at around 7.

Today I did e's and l's  and the vines.  I started on the right and it was coming out small so I worked on getting bigger.  I found that bigger worked better if I speeded up my machine while keeping my fabric movement the same.

So here's my picture:

I am also the moderator for the Art Quilt Group and FMQ is a frequently used skill especially for thread painting.  Come on by the Art Quilt Group-  I'm going to try and get some good stuff going there too, just like this group!

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Mar 20 2012 4:12 PM

Monica,thanks for all your wonderful tips and suggestions . I will check out the art group , I'm not real good at that but I have a couple of neat ideas that you might like from my craftsy class . I took . You pratice squares look good . Echoing is one of the main thigs I'm trying to learn well ,cause they make great fillers . Have you  tired mactavishing yet?   this is very similar to echoing and is alot of fun. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 155
Points 1,515
Monica replied on Tue, Mar 20 2012 4:18 PM

I have not heard of mactavishing... what is it?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,849
Points 366,407
Kris replied on Tue, Mar 20 2012 8:39 PM

Nice practice piece Monica; and great tips.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Mar 20 2012 9:15 PM

Momica, the pratice on the right side is Mactavishing . I hope this went thru I will see if I can find the web site for you , Babara

The one on the left is called Wormholes,and the one on the right is Mactavish that Gini talked about Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use