Just joined

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 85
Lore Posted: Thu, Mar 15 2012 10:58 PM

Is there a particular thread on this Most Excellent Group's list that's a good place to start? Any and all answers welcome! Quivering in delight at finding this group!

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Thu, Mar 15 2012 11:13 PM

No ,Just let me know what you want answered and I will do my best ,  You don't always have to start a new thread to ask a question , I will know , thanks for join us . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 85
Lore replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 2:10 AM

Wellllll, I'll start real basic here. I have a several practice sandwiches set up. And, I can go up and down and round and round with hardly much symmetry (will that come?). I'm not without tangential experience: my husband & I used to travel the Harvest Festival craft shows, selling our mahogany puzzles and I didn't use a template for the puzzle pieces. So, I *get* the concept. Sigh. . . but it was okay to run off the edge with my puzzles. In fact, it was often required. The other problem I'm having is uniform stitch length.  Am I sewing too fast? is that why I've got itty-bitty stitches fit only for The Borrowers? Feeling discouraged tonight. The Little Engine That Could is stalled.  About all I seem to be able to do is scribble in free-motion. No beauty about it, Barbara.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 8:56 AM

Barbara, Leah Day has a excellant web site that is free ,she has so many patterns it is unbleiveable ,her tutourials are a big help to me  and she show you how to do each pattern .  .I am going to try and give you the web site ,it is free and she encourages you to share them. Barbara

www.freemotionquiltingproject

this link did not work but it will take you to google and form there you can find it , or just look up leah Day .her stuff is great .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 6:35 PM

Yes her website is awesome. The symmetry will come with time and practice noone has symmetry 100% here. Sorry you are feeling discouraged though. Just keep practicing and eventually you will see the symmetry get better and better as well as your learning curve become easier with each pattern you try to do.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 85
Lore replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 6:46 PM

Welllll, it seems that I do an incredibly fantastic job on small practice sandwiches. Give me anything larger than 12"X6" and I'm an incredible fantastic failure!  Okay, seriously, I practiced some more last night. Tried lovely leafy vines (eh, so-so) and feathers and meandered around.  I'm thinking' that if I do the free-motion on the border this time, then it might come out okay. And, thank you so much for the link.  I won't give up.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 7:45 PM

You are not alone in that way. I have the same problem the whole quilt thing is troublesome practice sandwiches are easier. What I do find out when I practice on whole quilts is to imagine it divided up into the practice squares sometimes helps me figure out the sizing of the design or designs I should use and practice. I subdivide the quilt in my mind and work on a lil section at a time unless it is an overall meanger general design.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use