How much of a difference is there for fmqing using freezer paper vs. tracing paper?

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey Posted: Wed, Oct 26 2011 8:09 PM

How much of a difference is there for fmqing using freezer paper vs. tracing paper?  The quilt along lines book says to use tracing paper or water soluable stabilizer. However, I was wondering what exactly the difference is besides possibly having to be more careful when you take the paper out after your quilting for the no trace method. Anyone know if it is extremely harder and I am trying to find a way to finish this quilt without having to spend a lot of money doing so right now. I have freezer paper at home but could probably afford the tracing paper with the 40% off coupon from Joanns.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 160
Points 3,535
Pat replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 8:32 PM

Hi, Carey - tracing paper is easier to fmq with as it's really thin and easy to see your quilt through for positioning of your quilting. Tracing paper also tears off more easily

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 10:03 PM

Hi Carey,  I definitely wouldn't use freezer paper for fmq, because it would be a nightmare to get all the itsy-bitsy pieces out from under the stitches.  I have used tracing paper when I have been doing something that really needed to be exact, ie:  I did a baby-quilt this last summer with a cursive alphabet around the borders.  But, I am a firm believer in just doing it "free-hand" after practicing.  I always play/practice for awhile on a scrap quilt sandwich before I tackle anything other than meandering on the quilt I am finishing.  The more you do, the easier it gets, but I still practice, practice, practice!

Donna B

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 10:41 AM

Thanks you guys. Well I just wanted to try the book and see how it went. I have done freehand without anything but my imagination too.  Doesnt turn out that bad that way but I figured if I was to ever be able to start selling might want to try doing it differently and see how it goes on gift projects first and my own.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 12:13 PM

Okay guys I tried the book one panel for a border it turned out pretty good actually. Just pulling the tracing paper out is not even that hard just a lil bit time consuming if you do not do in phases. Here is a picture of the part I quilted.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,509
Points 417,464
gini replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 2:30 PM

nice work carey,  i missed part of the discussion.   did you have a pattern you were following and that's why you used the tracing paper?

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 3:22 PM

Yep its a pattern from the book in the previous discussion called follow the lines volume II. Wow it makes it easier to do fmq by far but bothersome to do all the tracing and pulling of the tracing paper at the end. So its a toss up as to if you want a certain design and don't know how to freehand it, it's great. If you know how to do a pattern I would stick to doing it myself but have never done flames before or anything of the such so thought what the heck.

Thanks for the compliment :)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Mon, Nov 21 2011 3:04 PM

Carey:
Wow it makes it easier to do fmq by far but bothersome to do all the tracing and pulling of the tracing paper at the end.

If you have a printer that will take thin sheets of paper, you can just copy the design (scan, or photo) into the computer and print it out! and make as many copies as you like. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 640
Points 9,640
MaggieNae replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 9:42 AM

I just traced a FM Fleur de lis pattern onto gift/tissue paper.  With a good tweezer it was not that bad and an inexpensive choice.

Margaret

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 10:29 AM

Hmm. I never thought of it as being cheap or inexpensive. I guess i'm more frugal lol. But if I do have the money for it will try it :)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 7:23 PM

I am pretty late to this conversation, but I use the gift tracing paper for lots of thing.   Foundation piecing, string quilts, and designs, some of which I draw and some I trace from other things.  Do not have problem getting out from stitches, but if a little piece remain I use a damp towel and that desolves it.  Hope this helps even if a bit late.

Granny M

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Tue, Feb 7 2012 5:15 PM

Here are some new pratice  blocks I worked on today . the first one is wormholes (L)  and Mactavish (r). Okay so I'm a newbie with quilting  LOL  the second blocks are some leaves I praticed .  could be better  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,607
Points 178,453
Marie replied on Tue, Feb 7 2012 9:35 PM

Barbara looks pretty darn good to me.  Are you trying to revive Fear No More FMQing?  Good for you!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 2:00 AM

We should Maire ,all these gals doing quilts  and not knowing how to quilt them  , Lets get it going   Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,607
Points 178,453
Marie replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 6:58 AM

Barbara:
We should Maire ,all these gals doing quilts  and not knowing how to quilt them  , Lets get it going

Barbara, I dropped the ball on this but I'd like to hand it to you if you'll let me.  You have such enthusiasm and drive and I have none at this point.  I'm also not at home with my Janome, Celesta, so I'm not able to join in on the FMQing.  So what do you say, will you run with it?  I think everyone who was into FMQing will be happy if you start it up again.  (((((HUGS)))))

Millbury, MA

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use