Trouble with Tension and speed....anyone else have this problem?

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 660
Chicca Posted: Sun, Feb 27 2011 9:32 AM

Hello to all;  I just joined the group and tried a piece yesterday.  My tension was off, I played and played but could not seem to get it correct.  Plus, my speed well was like I was in my fathers dragster and there were only seconds to make it to the finish line.  Anyone have suggestions?

I was excited to find this group.  I live in Grandfalls Texas and have been quilting for several years now.  Free motion quilting is a step I really want to learn and master.  Looking foward to learning and meeting all of you!

Brenda

• Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 441
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Sun, Feb 27 2011 12:10 PM

Chicca:
My tension was off, I played and played but could not seem to get it correct.  Plus, my speed well was like I was in my fathers dragster and there were only seconds to make it to the finish line.  Anyone have suggestions?

Brenda,

Can you slow down your speed? How fast does your machine sew when you are piecing and sewing other things? Part of the eyelash and birdsnest is from moving the fabric too fast or the needle going up and down to fast and not giving the machine enough time to complete the stitch correctly. You can also try placing a phone book under the heal of your foot and using the top part of your foot to press the foot pedal.

Toledo, OH

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 50
Points 1,045

Hello Brenda:

I am new to the group too, but I did want to say welcome to the group.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 660
Chicca replied on Sun, Feb 27 2011 3:42 PM

I will try your suggestion.  I am hoping that part of my speeding problem is just excitement.  I do not have that problem with other faucets of sewing.  We have a major wind storm blowing nothing but dust , I try not to sew on these days; hopefully avoiding adding dust to the major sections of the machine.  So hopefully tomorrow.  Thank you.

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 660
Chicca replied on Sun, Feb 27 2011 3:43 PM

Hello and welcome to the group also. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

For those just joining, please go to the General Conversation thread and that is where you can read all the hints and tip and do's and dont's that we are all learning, It takes a long time to get the tension and speed down. We call it the "sweet spot". This is the hardest thing to learn . And after you read the conversations, it comes down to Practice, Practice, Practice. Start out with something easy like e's and l's and loops while you are learning. Once you have the "sweet spot" on your machine, then it is time to expand. I wouldn't even be thinking of how to transfer patterns at this point. You should be Practicing.....so about face and back to the machines and Practice.....sorry. But have fun with it! It can be done.

North of Boston MA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590

I had a real problem with my speed when I first started out too. A lot of the books I read and videos I watched said you needed to go fast, so I did. Now I'm finding that is not true. I set my speed control for 1/2 speed. Somethings i quilt so slowly that Christmas will get here before I complete my first loop in the design! The trick isn't so much about speed as much as it is co-ordination. You have to have your hands traveling at the same speed as you machine. With practice it gets easier.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        It's like learning to write. If you look back on it, you'll recall how long it took you to write your name the first time, and then how long it took to scrawl that first paragraph long "report"... Writing a full page took ages in when you were in the 1st grade. But as you practiced, it became easier and your letters got neater.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use