Our projects

rated by 0 users
This post has 39 Replies | 13 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 27
Points 340
Rita replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 12:26 PM

Mary--you don't have to create your own FMQ designs to practice.  You can even buy patterns to practice on at some of the quilt stores.  Sometimes you can find a design you really like in a book or magazine to photocopy or print from the internet, you can even sit and trace it over and over with a pencil while watching TV, then trace onto a muslin sandwich and just practice that design until it is acceptable to you.  Something else you can do is find fabric with patterns of flowers, fruits/vegetables, etc. that you can just try FMQ the outlines.  I wasn't very good at stippling, but the more I tried it (on potholders, placemats, table runners,etc.) the easier it got.  It's all about building muscle memory.  A quilting teacher told us that it takes 40-60 times before your muscles learn to do something new, so practice is the only way to get there.

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 611
Points 10,695
Tami Paul replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 1:30 PM

Mary- what Rita said

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,560
Points 47,935

Back a year or so, maybe more, Chocake's husband invented a tool to help get the hang of free motion quilting. It held a pencil and you moved the paper to create a design. It helped with muscle memory. When you practice drawing a design the regular way it helps but this contraption gives you practice using the same motions you would use if you were really quilting. I don't know where the directions are on the site or if they can even be found again. I am going to post on the "What are you up to" board and ask CC if she could repost those directions.

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,560
Points 47,935

Good Morning Everyone, Brenda Jarrett found the link to the handy device and posted it over in "What are you up to today". Check it out.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,912
Points 40,960
ls2116 replied on Tue, Jan 28 2014 9:06 AM

Beautiful job.  I need alot more practise sessions.

Quilting My Rainbow

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,855
Brenda replied on Tue, Jan 28 2014 11:20 AM

Not that I know how to FEAR NO MORE FM Quilts yet but I am going to learn, LOL

Quilt, have fun, spend less time worrying if it is perfect.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Fri, Jan 31 2014 6:10 PM

Pat Lancaster:

Back a year or so, maybe more, Chocake's husband invented a tool to help get the hang of free motion quilting. It held a pencil and you moved the paper to create a design. It helped with muscle memory. When you practice drawing a design the regular way it helps but this contraption gives you practice using the same motions you would use if you were really quilting. I don't know where the directions are on the site or if they can even be found again. I am going to post on the "What are you up to" board and ask CC if she could repost those directions.

It's here in the pages. Hope it's useful to you. I sure enjoyed mine and learned a lot just fiddling with it. 

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Fri, Jan 31 2014 6:10 PM

Pat Lancaster:

It's here in the pages. Hope it's useful to you. I sure enjoyed mine and learned a lot just fiddling with it. 

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,560
Points 47,935

chocake2:

t's here in the pages. Hope it's useful to you. I sure enjoyed mine and learned a lot just fiddling with it. 

Shame on me, I never thought to look in pages. I'm glad it is still around!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 611
Points 10,695
Tami Paul replied on Tue, Feb 4 2014 11:51 AM

well got the leah day project caught up for Jan. I even tried FMQ with the dog feeds up. Wasnt to bad. I am having a problem with the opening the seams and then getting them lined up. On the four patch I was "close enough" but now we need to make the 9 patch to FMQ on. That is a lot of seems to try to match up. Anyone got a secret for lining up seams with it open? I do a good job with them ironed to one side, almost tempted to just do it that way. But am really trying to do things as she directs. I am really like the thread she recommended so far. Was able to find it her in town, after several stores, and in tons of colors.

so any help?

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Page 3 of 3 (40 items) Prev123
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use