This post has 39 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,036
Points 369,052
Kris replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 6:35 PM

Barbara:
new project finally got it quilted ..

This is lovely Barbara. The quilting is beautiful too.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 6:36 PM

Barbara your table runner is beautiful!  Your quilting is awesome!  Did you use stencils, did you mark?

Millbury, MA

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,836
Points 248,869
Barbara replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 10:35 AM

Marie some of it I did use stencils but only parts of the stencil so yes I did mark ,I still use the Frixion pens  work great for me .. It's just really hard to see it on the front so that is why I' showed that back .. LOL  

Thanks everyone for your kind comments . this one is going up for sale in my guilds quilt show in Sept.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,560
Points 47,935

Barbara, your runner is very nice. I am embarrassed to post my quilting in the same board as yours. Excellent!

I have completed Block 13 but there isn't a thread for it so it isn't posted. That gives me 11 blocks completed. I am amazed at how long this is taking.  I have a grandson that is due July 22, so I am going to lay the sampler aside and work on his quilt. I don't want to wait till the last minute as I start making more mistakes if I try to rush. So, I'll be back, hopefully before too long.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 4:11 PM

Hi everyone!  I watch several blog-posts and especially those that give ideas about FMQ and ideas for practicing and improving our technique.  This one recently came to my attention and was worthy of passing along.  

www.faeriesandfibres.blogspot.ca

Be sure and scroll down to her post for Sunday, October 27, 2013 entitled "Fun with Thread and Scraps".  I think you will all enjoy it!

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,036
Points 369,052
Kris replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 5:27 PM

Thanks Donna.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 110
DebB replied on Sun, Dec 1 2013 12:35 PM

I just joined your group but am curious. I'm not able to post a thread to start a discussion with a question I have. It says access denied. Am I missing something? Can't members start discussion threads?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sun, Jan 12 2014 11:49 AM

DebB:

I just joined your group but am curious. I'm not able to post a thread to start a discussion with a question I have. It says access denied. Am I missing something? Can't members start discussion threads?

You should be able to. Must be another one of those famous qca glitches getting you. Try again. 

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,036
Points 369,052
Kris replied on Sun, Jan 12 2014 3:01 PM

In most groups you cannot start your own thread. It makes it easier for the moderator to keep track of discussions. New threads cause the old ones to get buried.

If you have a question post it in the general discussion thread.

To see all prior threads adjust the "sorting and filtering" from the main discussion page. QCA defaults to show two months worth of discussions.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 611
Points 10,695
Tami Paul replied on Mon, Jan 13 2014 1:27 PM

I was thinking about doing the "the free motion quilt along" with Leah Day and was wondering if anyone else was doing or thinking of. I have some real pretty butterfly layer cake and have a nice big piece that I was hoping to be able to use for the background fabric and then use scraps for the focal fabric. But it is only big enough for the focal fabric. So, now I am wondering if I want to do it or not. For those that aren't familiar with the quilt along. It is 42 blocks. On the first monday of the month you do your piecing then the following Monday's you work on free motion. At the end of the year you join the blocks to have a quilt. I believe I have enough odds and ends of batting to complete the project. ( just dont know how to throw anything away. I figure it will be good practice for me, seeing how recently I have been cramming to get quilts done for gifts and just quilting fast and easy, not challenging myself to improve my skills. So, as I was asking, is anyone else working on this quilt along and if so are you doing something different then the 2 colors in the pattern?

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 320
JennieQ replied on Tue, Jan 14 2014 9:26 AM

Hi Tami,

I have signed up for the quilt along of Leah Day's.  I haven't had the chance to start yet because I have been sick.  I am doing just two colors to keep it simple, but is subject to change as the quilt along  progresses.  I will use solids or tone on tones so that it is easier to see the marks for fmq.  Have you gotten any of her books?

JennieQ

Tami Paul:

I was thinking about doing the "the free motion quilt along" with Leah Day and was wondering if anyone else was doing or thinking of. I have some real pretty butterfly layer cake and have a nice big piece that I was hoping to be able to use for the background fabric and then use scraps for the focal fabric. But it is only big enough for the focal fabric. So, now I am wondering if I want to do it or not. For those that aren't familiar with the quilt along. It is 42 blocks. On the first monday of the month you do your piecing then the following Monday's you work on free motion. At the end of the year you join the blocks to have a quilt. I believe I have enough odds and ends of batting to complete the project. ( just dont know how to throw anything away. I figure it will be good practice for me, seeing how recently I have been cramming to get quilts done for gifts and just quilting fast and easy, not challenging myself to improve my skills. So, as I was asking, is anyone else working on this quilt along and if so are you doing something different then the 2 colors in the pattern?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 82
Points 1,300
MaryC replied on Tue, Jan 14 2014 10:01 AM

I am going to do Leah's FMQ/QAL too!  I have my first 3 blocks all prepared and ready to stitch...... but.... I'm nervous about doing them.  I feel like I need to do some 'practice' first.  I'm just hoping my last block looks better than my first! :-)   Getting more experienced with FMQing is one of my 2014 'goals'. MaryC - Haslett, MI

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 611
Points 10,695
Tami Paul replied on Tue, Jan 14 2014 11:29 AM

Mary C and JeannieQ, thanks, I am still thinking. My biggest problem is where is the quilt going to end up... I haven't purchased the book yet, but I printed out the materials needed and may do some window shopping. I calculated the one peice I have ( which ya wont be good for marking on) and it will cut up to 42 (10x10) so I could use it on the back.. I think then I might have enough scraps to make the front scrapy. But if I do use the purple on the back, it would have to go to a female or stay here at the house. My main reason for doing it, is just for the practice in FMQing. Mary you may want to do some scrap practice just to get your wiggle on. But I have found that it really isnt that bad when you are following lines. I am sure it will get a little harder as time goes on, but that is what it is all about. I think I almost have myself talked into it. I just have so much other stuff going on this year so far, and then those unfinished UFO waiting. I need to decided what I want to do this year. My youngest son is bugging me for a larger quilt. ( I have no idea how they grew so tall), but his b day is in sept so I can wait on that. Hoping to finish up the Loyal union solider in or before late July for my sis 50th b day. So that would give me time to get it done. Well wishing you two luck, Maybe we can find a way to share pics and help keep us motivated.... Well off to work to make money for more fabric

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 82
Points 1,300
MaryC replied on Sun, Jan 26 2014 12:10 PM

Sorry - I didn't realize there was a reply to me.  I still can't quite figure out how to effectively USE this forum format....

I did make up some practice sandwiches to work on... the first attempts didn't look so good, so, i haven't even attempted to FMQ on the quilt blocks, yet.  I wanted this project to 'force' me to play with the FMQing more... so far, I'm just perfecting how to *avoid* trying it again.  I think my biggest problem is... I don't have much confidence in my 'artistic' abilities to quilt like this.  I've never been great at drawing with a pencil/paper - so, not sure I can 'draw' anything with FMQing that I'm proud of.  You know what they say about being your own worst enemy.....  finding your note makes me wanna go try again, tho.

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 611
Points 10,695
Tami Paul replied on Sun, Jan 26 2014 2:31 PM

Mary I did end up buying the download. I was at the second hand store and found a couple of bags of 8 in blocks. they said it was enough for a twin bed. they said 9x12 so not completely sure what they meant. I did like the fabrics and it was only 5 bucks.. I went and purchased some of the thread she recommended but have not started yet. Maybe find some time tomorrow. still working hard on catching up on the LUS sampler. Hope you guys are doing the 'building blocks quilt along"

Page 2 of 3 (40 items) Prev123Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use