Sampler block # 8

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara Posted: Mon, Apr 15 2013 1:13 AM

I'm currently working on this block and hope to have it finished sometime tomorrow , This is a nice one as it a log cabin style and there are lots of designs that can be used in this one. so come on members , Lets see what some of you have come up with .  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 12:00 PM

Hi all, I finished up my block today, Spent most of yesterday glue to the TV, after the tradgey at Boston.   this block was fun todo as there are just so many different desisngs that can be done on this block.  For my center I pick a design from Eva Larkins  book ,FMQ made Easy ,this was the heart doubled pattern. then I did some large oval shaped ciircles ,and a crisscross gird .  Next row I drew in some hearts, and finally did some leaves to finish it off.  I look foward toseeing what y'all will do with yours.  PLease jopin me and post pictures..  I look foward to seeing what you have done. Barbara

This is the back .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,036
Points 169,793
Marie replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 2:37 PM

Nicely done, Barbara!  Your work gets better and better.

Millbury, MA

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 10:23 PM

Thanks Marie, I seen to be the only one doing these. I tried to keep everything simple ..Oh well .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,295

I wish I could still be participating in the FMQ. Unfortunately I am still sewing off a folding table in the guest bedroom as I had to pack up my quilt studio to sell our house. Imagine wanting to have a dining room to sell you house, instead of a lovely quilt studio. Go figure.

Denise Smart

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 3:59 PM

Denise , why that just makes no sense to me ,,either  LOL  tables were made for sewing on not eating on ..LOL  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,803
Points 352,157
Kris replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 9:05 PM

Barbara:
Hi all, I finished up my block today,

Another stunner Barbara.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 9:56 PM

Thanks Kris, 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 220
blindsay replied on Tue, Apr 23 2013 12:32 PM

I am new to this group and I see that you are FMQ the 2012 Craftsy BOM.  Your quilting is beautiful. I have taken both of Leah Day's craftsy classes but have not had the courage to start the FMQ. on the blocks yet.  I would like to see your earlier blocks but do not know how to go back and view previous entries on this group.  I am hoping joining this group will help with my fear of FMQing. 

Bonnie

Mid-Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Wed, Apr 24 2013 6:29 AM

Hi Bonnie , I  will try and pull these up for you ,the a re in the back files , A you can see I didn't do my blocks the same way  Leah did ,  I to took both her classes.  so Just jump in if you have any questions ,please just ask  and I'll do my best to answer  for you .  I have tired to keep all the patterns very simple .  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 220
blindsay replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 2:35 PM

Barbara,

I am just now getting acquainted with the QCA website so I do not know how to go to the back files so I would appreciate any help.

I am eager to learn FMQ and any hints would be helpful.  I know the key is practice, practice and more practice but I think I am having limitations due to my machine.  I am trying to figure this out that is why I joined this group and the Janome group.  I have an older Janome and a Designer I by Huskavarna/Viking so I am wandering if I need to upgrade to a machine that does FMQ.  For now, I will keep up the practice and see if my FMQ improves.

Bonnie

Mid-Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 4:32 AM

Bonnie, when you first open the discussion aaoge  right under the word discussion you will see  "sort and filter " click on this and it will pull up the old pages, for the months you can go back a year, if you wan t , just hit save and apply once they come up. If that didn't work for you let me know and I'll see what we can work out. 

Also Bonnie it just takes time and practice,  if you can get in 15 mins a day that will help ,Also  Leah Day who I learned form ahas a free Project Quilting which was very helpful to me  If you go to pages which is on the right hand side of the main group page. you will see pages listed ,click on it and there is a lot of good ifo there .but it will also give you the link to  Leah web site, Use it its wonderful .. You should be able to do quilting on both of the machine you  have , if your having problems let me know what they are and we'll see if we can get them worked out together.  biggest thing to remember is this is suppose to be fun ,  so relax ,take a deep cleansing breath , and just practice.  . Once you get some time in ,it will just hit you one day ,I can do this .. and it just kinda works out. with your rhythm and all .I'm here if you need me. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 220
blindsay replied on Mon, Apr 29 2013 2:51 PM

Barbara,  I was able to find your previous blocks of MFQ with your  instructions to use the "sort and filter".  I had previously reviewed Leah's 365 Day FMQ Project when I first took Leah's Craftsy class and I will continue to use this as a reference.  I will try practicing some more on my two machines and see if I can get the hang of FMQ.  I think I do a better job using my Designer I machine then my Janome 4000 anyway the stitches appear to look better on the Designer I. 

What type of thread do you use?  Do you use the Isacord thread that Leah recommends? 

Thank you for all your support.  I will keep you post on my outcome.  I am looking forward in seeing your block #9.

Bonnie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Tue, Apr 30 2013 10:15 AM

Bonnie, I use  Aurfil and  King tut ,when I use cotton thread,  I found another brand for poly thread ,called  Glide,  and it is wonderful thread,  I will try and locate the web site ,if you might be intrested,  but will tell you these threads are alittle pricey ,but well worth the cost ot me. Just do your pratice alittle everyday , and You'll get it , just takes time.   Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 220
blindsay replied on Tue, Apr 30 2013 2:07 PM

Barbara, the thread that I have is the following:  Cotton - Affinity, King Tut, and YLI   Poly - Magnifico, Omni, and Glide.  The glide that I have is sky and I bought this color for a quilt that I am making for my DH. The only white or pearl that I have is affinity and omni I wish now that I had bought a spool of glide - white.  I will give the affinity a try and see how is works in my practice piece and if all goes well I will start on my sampler block #8 and when done I will post a picture of my results.   Thank you for all your help.

Oh, by the way I worked in Liberty before I retired last year.   I think that is why I feel comfortable asking you questions instead of posting on the Craftsy website.

Bonnie

Mid-Mo

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use