Newbie introduction

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 140
MrsBecky Posted: Wed, Dec 5 2012 1:59 PM

Hi everyone.. wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Becky and I have been quilting and embroidering for a few years now but am still a newbie at free motion.  I have 2 machines..a Brother SE 400 which is my  little work horse and I also have a Viking Diamond which gives me a lot of headache.  I usually use a friend's long arm quilter for my large projects, however when the holidays approach, I find myself doing much smaller pieces so I am trying to learn to do free motion on my own machines.  Oh what a headache right now.  Today I learned (from this site) that I can use my embroidery foot on my brother to do FMQ, but I am really having a time using my Viking.  The thread keeps breaking so I thought maybe the tension was too tight.  I have played around with that, tried using new thread, rewound the bobbin, reload the bobbin, rethread the machine, you  name it, I've done it.  My second issue with this is the back of the piece looks like railroad tracks.. (my fancy untechnical term).    I am down to my last hair before I go completely bald, (or insane).  I will keep plugging away at it until I decide to run it over with my pick up truck.  So there you have it, my introduction and would love to know how to correct my issues on my Viking...      

• Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

The only thing I could think of you have not tried is to adjust the presser foot, my brain is not working right now and cannot come up with the word, but lower the number...

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

MrsBecky:
My second issue with this is the back of the piece looks like railroad tracks.. (my fancy untechnical term).

Missed this, that would be a tension problem...

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

Hi and welcome Mrs Becky. I am still very new at FMQ and this was still happening to me just a few weeks ago. There are two possibilities, or a combination of both.  As already indicated it is probably a tension problem. Here is the best source I knew to tell you how to adjust your tension

https://www.superiorthreads.com/education/tension/thread-tug-of-war-how-tension-works

If the problem is worse on curves, you will also need to slow down your hand speed. So on curves slow down your foot control speed a little, and slow down your hand speed by about 1/3.

Hope this helps.

Denise Smart

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 4:30 AM

Mrs,Becky . welcome to the group .  we will do our best to try and help you out with your problems ,but I have some questions for you frist. 

1 what kind of needle are you using in your viking.?

2. what size thread are you using and what type ,cotton ,Ploy.

3. do you have a supreme slider.?

4.Is your Viking an older model or new ?

Let me know some of this and we will work form there.  this has been a problem for many of us ,so you are not alone.  Just need some info to help you solve this . so hang in there we'll do the best we can. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,443
Points 176,258
Marie replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 4:33 PM

Hi MrsBecky, welcome.  I'm sure you'll get great advice from Barbara and the others, just wanted to welcome you.

Millbury, MA

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use