rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,090
Starling replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 2:09 PM

Denise Smart:

I love Ann Petersen's class. That is what I am practicing the feathers for. Since I am such a timid FMQ the simple sequence Ann uses to build up to a sampler works for me. I haven't tried any echo stitching at all, and the only fill stitch I know is the stipple. This was my first feathers, and the travel stitching is pretty nerve wracking.  My goal for today (after I finish cleaning up my sewing room, augh) is to practice the three flower shapes on a practice sandwich. If that goes well I will put the three flower shapes and the two simplest feathers that make the flower stems on the real quilt. That will be enough for today. I want to take small, manageable steps to build up my confidence.

Eventually I will build up to adding the echo stitching and a fill stitch. I'm just not there yet. Then I am going to learn Leah Days designs.

Thanks for all the kind words and support. It means so much to me.

I made a version of the class project. I ended up only using one of the flower shapes and I didn't make the simplest feather. I'd already played with the feathers and knew that I was better off with any of the more advanced ones. I'm extremely happy with how it turned out, and when I was done, I was ready to FMQ a real project for the first time. It was a great class.

The Leah Day class is also a great class. Some of the time I think the best solution is multiple solutions. And some of the time the best teacher is more than one. This is one of those situations. The underlying stuff they teach is very different, and very useful.

Starling

Please visit my blog at http://walkinglifespathagain.blogspot.com/

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

Today, for the first time, I actually had fun FMQ. I didn't break thread once. Everything was free form, almost no travel stitching.  I will keep practicing and learning new designs to see which ones I enjoy.  Tomorrow, my first try at pebbles.

Denise Smart

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,828
Points 248,709
Barbara replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 1:26 PM

Denise ,that is wonderful to hear. keep it up . barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,828
Points 248,709
Barbara replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 3:13 AM

I just want to welcome all the new member who have signed up for this group .please feel free to join in  no matter if you are doing for the first time.  there are a lot of tutorials I have left on here for you all to use. We have no quilt police here so don't be afraid to load you pictures. If any of you have any questions please ask , we will get you an answer.   this is a fun group and we work at all levels , thanks for joining up with us.. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 2 of 2 (19 items) Prev12
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use