Welcome to FMG group

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara Posted: Wed, Oct 24 2012 9:30 AM

I want to welcome all of the new folks to The FMG group , AS we have been kinda of at a stand still I could use some suggestions on what all of you new folks would like to do , If you are a brand new FMG er let me know and I will start at the beginning for you . I just need to hear from you . This is a fun group and I will do my best to help you learn the basics   I have a lot of good info for you in the pages section of this group , so feel free to look it over .  Thanks everyone .  It really not as hard as you think it will be .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 7:00 PM

For all the new members I have put back some of the work we have done in the past year , It is there for you to work with and if you have any questions ,please let me know .  I am looking foward to helping anyone thath needs it ..Thanks Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 69
Points 1,235

Barbara, thank-you for the welcome ! I am happy to see a FMQ group. I have just started FMQ this year and have been having so much fun with it. I love how you can use so much of your creativity with it. I am learning and practicing almost everyday. Just finished my first FMQ feather quilt, it's not perfect, but I had fun making it. Just posted it in the gallery. I'm sure I will learn good things from this group and looking forward to the experience ! 

Quiltlady66

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 8:40 AM

Quiltlady ,I just looked at your top ,fantastic job . You did very well . could you please post a picture in the media section here  for us.  Please ,we like to keep track of how well our group is doing . I'm really very proud of you for taking the steps . Its so much fun.. thanks for sharing with us . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 69
Points 1,235

Barbara,

Thank-you for your nice comments. I still have a long way to go, but I am enjoying FMQ so much. I would love to post in the media section, but not sure where it is, if you could tell what to do I'd appreciate. Thank-you ! Quiltlady

P. S. I found the media section and I did post my quilt.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 8:48 AM

Thanks Quiltlady .  ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

Hi. I just joined the FMG group today.  I am working my way through all the posts, starting with the most recent ones first. On a good day (which is not every day) if I warm up I am a beginner level FMQ. I can stipple at all scales, and do spirals. My loops are pretty sad with inconsistent stitch size, and I tried my first feather today, which was down right pathetic. I tried my slider today for the first time. I love it. What a difference it makes. Worth every penny. I also screwed up my courage to the sticking point and modified my free motion quilting foot per Leah Days instructions so the foot doesn't bounce up and down. Now my sewing machine is throwing stitches consistently on the curves, which it wasn't doing before I modified the FMQ foot. Has this happened to anybody else? Any suggestions?

I am a timid FMQ but I am not going to let my fear stop me.

Denise Smart

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 10:36 PM

Denise, make sure you are using a sharp needle and not one of the ball needles . i had this problem as well and it was due to using the worng needle to quilt .  What kinda of machine do you have? If you have a janome ,make sure you use the blue janome needles , I have not had this problem since I switched to a sharp needle for quilting. Let me know if this works for you . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

Thanks for the tip. I was using a universal ball needle. I will switch to a sharp needle and let you know how that goes. I used up my last practice sandwich yesterday playing with the new slider and the "adjusted" FMQ foot trying to figure out why the machine was throwing stitches, so now I have to stop and make a batch of new practice sandwiches.

I am using a Brother PC210, which I realize is not a great machine for FMQ. I was doing okay until I adjusted the FMQ foot. Some day I will have a Janome. The economy is just not co-operating.

Denise Smart

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 9:02 AM

Denise ,your brother should work ok they are made by the same company a Janome . I hope the needles will take care of your problem as it did for me. since you have a brother I'd think any brand of sharps would work  ,but I do understand they need for them and it just never really hit me that my other needle were not sharps ..Daa go figure ..LOL  I will await your report with anticipation.. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

Switching to a sharp needle definitely helped. When I slowed down my speed about 33% on the curves the skipped stitches completely stopped. Here is my first ever feathers.

Denise Smart

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 9:35 AM

Denise, WOW ,fabulous job ,and this was your first time doing feathers ,  If I was handing out gold starts ,you'd get two.  Well done.   I'm so glad the sharp needle helped  you , Leah Day says alot of machine don't like to go up and backword ,which is were my skipping was always the worst,  she recommends adjusting your quilt to prevent this  and like you did ,slow down.   I am so proud of you .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,265
Points 173,178
Marie replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 9:57 AM

Denise, great feathers, you go girl!

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,090
Starling replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 10:26 AM

Denise, beautiful feathers. Isn't is wonderful to be able to do these?

I'm new at this too, but one thing I learned from Ann Petersen's quilting class on Craftsy, was to echo around the feathers and then do a fill stitch around them. Boy does that make even beginner feathers look AMAZING. You might want to try it just to see.

Starling

Please visit my blog at http://walkinglifespathagain.blogspot.com/

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

I love Ann Petersen's class. That is what I am practicing the feathers for. Since I am such a timid FMQ the simple sequence Ann uses to build up to a sampler works for me. I haven't tried any echo stitching at all, and the only fill stitch I know is the stipple. This was my first feathers, and the travel stitching is pretty nerve wracking.  My goal for today (after I finish cleaning up my sewing room, augh) is to practice the three flower shapes on a practice sandwich. If that goes well I will put the three flower shapes and the two simplest feathers that make the flower stems on the real quilt. That will be enough for today. I want to take small, manageable steps to build up my confidence.

Eventually I will build up to adding the echo stitching and a fill stitch. I'm just not there yet. Then I am going to learn Leah Days designs.

Thanks for all the kind words and support. It means so much to me.

Denise Smart

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use